Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

This is another ZX-1 modified for an EZ-Lock from this post #200 by NorthQuad.

Name:  EZ-Lock.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  89.4 KB
    Last edited by elarson; 03-22-2015 at 11:41 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    So when your ZX plunge frontside after strong braking, there's nothing to stop it ?
    Error here ! The small noise I was hearing is the anti-tips hitting my backrest, not the front caster hitting the ground.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

elarson: anyone else having trouble seeing link for the attachment 56718?

I uploaded it and it seems to work now. See above.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    elarson: anyone else having trouble seeing link for the attachment 56718?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have been curious about the shock also. On the first ZX-1 it had a X-Fusion O2 RL Air Shock, but on the newer ZX-1 it is a Manitou Radium Shock (see photo).

We are looking for anything we can to soften/dampen the ride, and I've wondered if there is anything we can do with the shock. Nothing is in the owners manual about filing the shock or how to maintain it.

- your shock is different. On mine, it is a wonderful air/air shock (no spring, nor oil) but ... no air inside ! totally empty ? Is there any setting to know here ? And why can it be locked ?
    Name:  2014 10 28_4326.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  191.5 KB

That's good that you could find the source. I'm assuming you mean the anti-tilt hitting your backrest posts and not your actual backrest. Because we have had so many other parts interfering with the ZX-1 anti-tilt I know how hard it is to locate where the problems are. It really helped me to take video's from different angles to see where the contact points were.

Error here ! The small noise I was hearing is the anti-tips hitting my backrest, not the front caster hitting the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I know that foam will be a little less of a smooth ride than pneumatics, but it seems like a good compromise for maintenance. I've read that heavy-duty foam tires are really hard to install without extra tools. Would it be the same for a non-heavy-duty foam tire like the Kenda?
    I don't think thats true anymore. The ride is just as comfortable if not more so. I use an arbor press to get the foam filled tire on but this tool should work: http://www.allegromedical.com/wheelc...l-p558655.html

Is it possible to use a similar size 10" tire, like a 4.10/3.50-4? If yes, would it change the height of the clamshell on the ZX-1? Is it possible to lower the height of the clamshell on the ZX-1 if needed? Even with the 3.00-4 tires our clamshell is about a millimeter higher than the chair and requires lifting it. I would not want to go any higher if we can not adjust the clamshell height.
    4.10 is the width of the tread. 3.50 is the height of the side wall. 4 is the diameter of the hole. So 3.50 + 4 + 3.50 = 11" tire height. The ZX1 comes with 3.00-4 which is 3" wide tread, 3" sidewall and 4 inch hole so its a 10" tall tire or 10 x 3. The distance to the bottom of the axle tube of a chair with 25" wheels and a few degrees of camber is about 11.25". So the bigger tires should fit. They will raise the clamshell about a half inch though. If your ZX1 is setup for 25" wheels the clamshell could be adjusted down a half inch.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Here I go with more questions....

I've been reading about many of you not using the anti-tilt mechanism, and am trying to make a decision about removing it. I'm just not sure if it is even being used with how I have everything configured, and it seems to make it very difficult for me to tilt back and lift the casters off the ground with my husband in the chair.

From what I am seeing the maximum I can tilt it back to get the front casters off of the ground is about 2" (5cm), but it takes a lot of effort on my part. Many curb cuts near us are about 1" (2.5 cm), and even then it is hard to get over them, and I feel like I am putting a lot of strain on the fold-down push handles, and am not sure if that is wise.
    This should be fairly easy and is key for proper functioning of the ZX-1.

The depth behind the wheelchair backrest posts and the anti-tilt wheels is about .6" (1.5cm). I don't think we can make it any closer because of conflicts with the wheelchair armrest brackets, which extend quite far back. The COG on the chair is set to 3", but I have the the ZX-1 armrest bracket as far back as it goes in the 5th hole to not interfere with the wheelchair armrest brackets. This is further than the documented amount based on the 3" COG, but we had no choice because he needs the wheelchair armrests when not using the ZX-1.
    There should be no space between the anti-tilt wheels and the backrest uprights.
    Your ZX-1 armrest brackets are not adjusted correctly and should be moved forward.

We have a lot going on under and behind the chair and it's all quite a puzzle with only millimetres to spare on everything. I don't know if by looking at a photo if anyone can tell me anything more I can do to make it easier to get over curb cuts, but I thought it was worth a try. If not, maybe it just makes more sense to remove the anti-tilt mechanism, because I think it is just making it harder. Also, it appears that the wheelchair armrest brackets hit the ZX-1 armrests and keep it from going too far back, so again, I wonder if it makes sense to even use it.
    This is your problem. The ZX-1 won't function properly with those manual chair armrest brackets. You need a T-style armrest on the manual chair.
    see examples 3 and 4 in section 7 here: http://www.tilite.com/documents/TiLi....pdf?mod=12115

After a close look to your rig Pat, I have questions for you...
    - you have removed the front caster? So when your ZX plunge frontside after strong braking, there's nothing to stop it ?
    That front caster was originally put there to limit the armrests from dipping down on sudden stops. That problem was much better addressed when I designed the antil-tilt mechanisms. The front caster is obsolete and does nothing. Why Spinergy continues to include it is beyond me.

- what is this big bolt on the front made for ? Hooking your ZX somewhere maybe ?
    That bracket is for an EZ-Lock docking system that I made for a customer who drives from their chair.

-your shock is different. On mine, it is a wonderful air/air shock (no spring, nor oil) but ... no air inside ! totally empty ? Is there any setting to know here ? And why can it be locked ?
    The shock on the ZX-1 does nothing and if not adjusted to support the users weight can cause problems like spinning of the drive wheels. The reason the manual wheelchair wheels are raised slightly is so that the users weight is transferred directly to the ZX-1s drive wheels. If the shock doesn't support the users weight then that weight is transferred to the manual wheelchair wheels causing loss of traction. Even if the shock was setup correctly for the user, because the ZX-1 driven with the manual wheelchair wheels no more the 1/8" off the ground, there is no room for it to travel. It should be replaced by a solid linkage.
    If your shock has no air in it I would put at least 90psi in it and then lock it out. Did they include a manual for the shock?

- you seem to have the elastomer of the back caster still in place. Mine is "aluminium elastomer" (Alustomer ? )
    I've read here that with the elastomer, the caster was sometime grabbing on the motors? But I think it gives a smoother ride too? Am I right ? and isn't it possible to jump over small curbs on reverse, if it is too difficult frontward ? (for exemple if you can't pop a wheelie, or if your footplate drags...) I'd like to try, but I'm afraid to put too much stress on the FrogLeg fork with this Alustomer...
    On the original design we found if the polymer was compressed while in reverse or the caster was just turned to face forward and enough pressure was placed on the backe caster, it could contact the back of the actuator.
    So instead of lengthening the frame a little or changing to a sold fork, this was their solution. So yes it is now a completely useless overpriced Frogleg with an Alustomer!

Sorry, Pat, if I'm too curious let me know? I just want to know how things are working, and why...
    No worries, I'm more than happy to answer any questions.

Ours has printed on it that it is a Manitou Radium Comp (see post #185). Our documentation is from the original ZX-1 we had (Operators Manual Z100080 Rev 4) and it says nothing about the shock. Do others have this same shock and perhaps the documentation they can post or e-mail to me?

It looks to have a schrader (auto) valve on it. Does that mean that a standard pump can be used or is a shock pump needed?

Thanks for writing and answering so many questions for us Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    The shock on the ZX-1 does nothing and if not adjusted to support the users weight can cause problems like spinning of the drive wheels. The reason the manual wheelchair wheels are raised slightly is so that the users weight is transferred directly to the ZX-1s drive wheels. If the shock doesn't support the users weight then that weight is transferred to the manual wheelchair wheels causing loss of traction. Even if the shock was setup correctly for the user, because the ZX-1 driven with the manual wheelchair wheels no more the 1/8" off the ground, there is no room for it to travel. It should be replaced by a solid linkage.
    If your shock has no air in it I would put at least 90psi in it and then lock it out. Did they include a manual for the shock?
    Last edited by elarson; 03-24-2015 at 10:34 AM.