Page 18 of 77 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Just adding, I took a close up phone-photo of the writing on the side of my original tire as I couldn't see the size information. Bought the grey knobbies and it was a perfect fit. P.S. Did not see that they had black at that time, which I would have chosen.
    Thanks again, elarson for posting my photo for me.

Sorry to blather on, but, again, I LOVE my ZX1 and feel it's the best invention for the disabled in the past century. At least one of the best, recalling auto hand controls and power wheelchairs. I feel the ZX1 should recognized by the Smithsonian Museum and it's inventor, Pattherat, surely deserves an important medal for his accomplishment, which is so life altering for many of us.
    If our country can have a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, how about something devoted to disability issues and related inventions?
    Last edited by triumph; 03-20-2015 at 08:29 AM.

I fully agree T. Pat's invention sure came at the right time for me. At the time it was still in it's infancy but looked like the perfect fit for a new shoulder unjuries.. It was. I thank him everytime I hook on to the machine. My carriage is a bit bent for some reason, but still works fine.

Sorry for such a long boring message about tires....

I like the look of the tire that Pat sent a link for: 3.00-4 (10"x3", 260X85) Foam-Filled Mobility Tire with Traction Tread (Kenda) . I've done quite a lot of searching around, and there are not many black 3.00-4 tires out there, and that was the *only* foam filled tire that I could find -- I checked scooters, mini ATV's, mini quads, mini pocket bikes, go-karts, etc. Unfortunately, they are *really* pricey at $79.99 each with an estimated shipping cost to the Netherlands of $68.64 ($228.62 in total).

I'm trying to see what I can find locally that might work as well. I have some questions I'm hoping for some input on. I've found tire ordering very complicated, for both wheelchairs and power devices, and it's made more complicated because I am having to search in different countries/languages.

It appears from the photo that the Kenda tire on Monster Scooter Parts is a Kenda K372 (Kendsa part # 253720604B0BK). I'm wondering if Monster Scooter Parts put the foam insert in, because I can't find a K372 foam filled tire anywhere else. I did see that Kenda sells EZN Airfree foam inserts, but I don't see them available for 3.00-4 tires. Is it possible to buy foam inserts for a tire this size, and if so, does anyone know of one?

From what I can see, the ZX-1 has Pr1mo two piece wheels (split rims), which should work fine for foam filled tires. Does anyone know what the bead width is -- I'm thinking probably 2.75”?

I know that foam will be a little less of a smooth ride than pneumatics, but it seems like a good compromise for maintenance. I've read that heavy-duty foam tires are really hard to install without extra tools. Would it be the same for a non-heavy-duty foam tire like the Kenda?

Is it possible to use a similar size 10" tire, like a 4.10/3.50-4? If yes, would it change the height of the clamshell on the ZX-1? Is it possible to lower the height of the clamshell on the ZX-1 if needed? Even with the 3.00-4 tires our clamshell is about a millimeter higher than the chair and requires lifting it. I would not want to go any higher if we can not adjust the clamshell height.
    Last edited by elarson; 03-21-2015 at 07:07 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Here I go with more questions....

I've been reading about many of you not using the anti-tilt mechanism, and am trying to make a decision about removing it. I'm just not sure if it is even being used with how I have everything configured, and it seems to make it very difficult for me to tilt back and lift the casters off the ground with my husband in the chair.

From what I am seeing the maximum I can tilt it back to get the front casters off of the ground is about 2" (5cm), but it takes a lot of effort on my part. Many curb cuts near us are about 1" (2.5 cm), and even then it is hard to get over them, and I feel like I am putting a lot of strain on the fold-down push handles, and am not sure if that is wise.

The depth behind the wheelchair backrest posts and the anti-tilt wheels is about .6" (1.5cm). I don't think we can make it any closer because of conflicts with the wheelchair armrest brackets, which extend quite far back. The COG on the chair is set to 3", but I have the the ZX-1 armrest bracket as far back as it goes in the 5th hole to not interfere with the wheelchair armrest brackets. This is further than the documented amount based on the 3" COG, but we had no choice because he needs the wheelchair armrests when not using the ZX-1.

We have a lot going on under and behind the chair and it's all quite a puzzle with only millimetres to spare on everything. I don't know if by looking at a photo if anyone can tell me anything more I can do to make it easier to get over curb cuts, but I thought it was worth a try. If not, maybe it just makes more sense to remove the anti-tilt mechanism, because I think it is just making it harder. Also, it appears that the wheelchair armrest brackets hit the ZX-1 armrests and keep it from going too far back, so again, I wonder if it makes sense to even use it.

Note: My husband does not have good upper body strength or balance. I don't want to do anything to make it unsafe, so if it is that I just need to put more strength into it, I would rather do that than risk him being jolted out of the chair. But, I also want to make sure I'm not going to damage the ZX-1 by doing that.

Name:  2015 03 20_4800.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  271.9 KB
    Last edited by elarson; 03-21-2015 at 07:13 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Same problem here? but hopefully less materiel underneath my chair !
    I think (but I rely on the others if I'm wrong) that you must check the COG of your wheelchair before, and then use the ZX-1 with the clamshell as low as possible. It is the unique solution to keep the balance and be able to pop up small wheelies. That's true even if you try to jump curbs alone, or with the help of someone else.
    On my side, every time I was too high (with my wheels free) I was unable to lift the casters. Now when I hook the ZX-1 I adjust the height to keep my wheels rolling. My COG don't change too much this way, and be sure that every millimeter iis noticeable.
    Of course there's a collateral damage : It makes the machine spinning from time to time. But it's not a real issue. I'm going to try with a lower pressure in the tires to fix that.
    If I understand well, your clamshell is a bit high ? I'm not sure, but I think it's the main problem of your setting.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

elarson: Have you tried just removing the small black rollers attached to the anti-tip (where they are close to the vertical posts of the wheelchair). I have done that to gain a bit of extra space to tilt and get over threshholds.
    Considering how rarely one needs the anti-tilt anyway, this adjustment may not have an effect of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    you might as well do what we did and order it online from the US and do it all yourself (there was no other option back then).
    It's no longer possible... As Spinergy has an importer in France, they have forbidden oversea shipping for US resellers (I asked one, who is on CareCure?)

After a close look to your rig Pat, I have questions for you...
    - you have removed the front caster? So when your ZX plunge frontside after strong braking, there's nothing to stop it ?
    - what is this big bolt on the front made for ? Hooking your ZX somewhere maybe ?
    - your shock is different. On mine, it is a wonderful air/air shock (no spring, nor oil) but ... no air inside ! totally empty ? Is there any setting to know here ? And why can it be locked ?
    - you seem to have the elastomer of the back caster still in place. Mine is "aluminium elastomer" (Alustomer ? )
    I've read here that with the elastomer, the caster was sometime grabbing on the motors? But I think it gives a smoother ride too? Am I right ? and isn't it possible to jump over small curbs on reverse, if it is too difficult frontward ? (for exemple if you can't pop a wheelie, or if your footplate drags...) I'd like to try, but I'm afraid to put too much stress on the FrogLeg fork with this Alustomer...
    Sorry, Pat, if I'm too curious let me know? I just want to know how things are working, and why...
    Last edited by robotnik; 03-21-2015 at 11:12 AM.

We were considering replacing the aluminium shaft with a elastomers/polymers on the back Froglegs fork to see if it helps with shock absorption, but have not done it yet. You can order elastomers from Froglegs Shock Absorbing Polymer.

I don't know if this helps answer your question, but here is some information Pat posted in post #528:

[Added: I think what Pat wrote also might help us with curbs by raising it when we need to get over obstacles.]

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    On one of the RESNA tests ar wheels of the manual wheelchair are too high during this maneuver, the chair could tip over sideways. When trying to find a solution it was observed that the rear Frogleg fork deflected and possibly added to the problem. The real solution came by adding a proximity switch that reduced the speed to 40% when the manual wheelchair's rear wheels are lifted too high by the ZX1. It's important to keep your rear wheels as low as possible at all times, even slightly scrubbing the ground. They act as a sort of training wheel or outrigger. The ZX1 is allowed to raise the manual wheels higher for when encountering obstacles like thresholds where the rear manual wheels may interfere with traction to the drive wheels. After manuevering past the obstacle you should lower the rear of the manual chair to the safe driving position.

To be clear I don't work for or represent Spinergy and they must make the final decision on what they think is necessary to put out as a product that they feel is safe in every possible use. I can only give my advice.

Having said that, in my opinion it is a non issue and a polymer could be used. I have them on all of my ZX1s and they are on the others that I originally built and sold with no problem that I'm aware of. I would though recommend getting their stiffest polymer. Under normal use the difference will be negligible because most of your weight is transferred directly to the drive wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    - you seem to have the elastomer of the back caster still in place. Mine is "aluminium elastomer" (Alustomer ? )
    I've read here that with the elastomer, the caster was sometime grabbing on the motors? But I think it gives a smoother ride too? Am I right ? and isn't it possible to jump over small curbs on reverse, if it is too difficult frontward ? (for exemple if you can't pop a wheelie, or if your footplate drags...) I'd like to try, but I'm afraid to put too much stress on the FrogLeg fork with this Alustomer...
    Sorry, Pat, if I'm too curious let me know? I just want to know how things are working, and why...
    Last edited by elarson; 03-21-2015 at 11:34 AM.

I hope Pat replies on this. I had not noticed that -- it looks like a bolt and a bracket. I am wondering if it is for an EZ-Lock to drive from the ZX-1. There have been a few people asking on the forum if that is possible, and it would be good to do know if that is what it is. I know that Pat also made a lift for transporting a ZX-1, so perhaps it could have something to do with that also.

Added: I just went to look at the original thread #199 where Pat had posted that photo. It was in reply to this early ZX-1 user SamIAmC5 who's ZX-1 it is, and made this post #196 about having the ZX-1 modified to work with the EZ-Lock in a van. Maybe Pat or Sam can tell more about this modification to help the others who have asked about it.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    - what is this big bolt on the front made for ? Hooking your ZX somewhere maybe ?
    Last edited by elarson; 03-21-2015 at 12:04 PM.