Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Like Pat, I don't use the anti tip levers. If you are stopping so fast the arms will go down, try learning to feather back the control as you are stopping. That's help a lot. Once you are used to the arms dipping a bit, it's no big deal. I go from full throttle to stop and rarely have the arms drop unless done intentionally,

It's a great machine, I've never regretted buying it. I don't take it out that much and usually use it just around my property. It may be because I haven't gotten used to going up and down the ramp in my van. I have my spring in the upper poundage, making it less likely to dip like you're talking about.

One thing to remember if buying different tires, is the space between the inside of the tire and motor casing is small. If too wide they will rub. I've tried different tires but not the true knobbies yet. I need a new set so will check into them.

Elarson, you put knobbies on didn't you?
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 03-19-2015 at 12:36 AM.

triumph has on snow knobbies.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Interesting discussion. I was also wondering about robotnik's anti-tip bars. We did a lot of adjusting of mine, and also ordered the 20 or 30 pound gas shocks as mine were pretty strong something like 50 or so and I only weigh about 110. I wanted to be able to stop at, or travel slowly over a one to two inch curb/threshold. Now I can lean back, push slightly down on armrests, causing the front wheels to rise slightly to slowly roll over such a bump. (At our local library's access ramp).
    I keep the anti-tip bars maybe 1/2 inch away from my chair's vertical back posts - if they are snug against it I would not be able to tilt up as I described.
    I got knobby tires last Fall for Winter use and love them so much I may not install the original tires again. I had to travel up a steep driveway with about an inch of snow - slow speed gave me good grip. I did not test it on more than about 1 1/2 inches for fear of getting stuck at 7 am retrieving the morning paper.
    The downside of the knobbies would be getting Spring mud in the treads, but I did get dirt and mud in the original tires. I keep a large rug at my entry door where I can doff the zx1 until snow/mud dries and use a brush if I have to.
    P.S. I'm still trying to figure out how to tell someone how to lift the ZX1 if and when necessary, and also, is there a safe way to use a van tie-down?

Triumph, which ones did you get? I saw you bought from Monster Scooter, I think they were called. My big concern is the space between the motors and inside of the tire.

Patrick, At the bottom of this message are the tires that I am quite sure that Triumph got, but in non-marking black. Triump's are grey, and can be seen in this post #125.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Triumph, which ones did you get? I saw you bought from Monster Scooter, I think they were called. My big concern is the space between the motors and inside of the tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I'm having a hard time finding the PR1MO wheels. I would be curious if anyone finds them.

I think these are the non-marking black tires that Triumph was referring to and the inner tubes.

10"x3" (3.00-4, 260x85) Pneumatic Mobility Tire with Traction Tread Item: D18-2588 Price: $26.99

3.00-4 (10"x3", 260x85) Scooter and Power Chair Inner Tube Item: T03-220 Price: $6.99
    Last edited by elarson; 03-19-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Wow ! Nice (and clever, of course) explanations Pattherat ! I was not looking at the anti-tips this way, but using them also as dampeners is very impressive ! Brilliant !
    With the springs rating (thanks Elarson) I hope we ll'be able to set up this beast as well. As you can imagine, it is "out of the box"? And I'm pretty sure neither the importer (Runseat, in France) nor the reseller knows those proper settings...
    So, I'll have to manage between 2 effects : strong springs means great damping effect, but difficulties to wheelie (ride heigh and COG have their importance too), and soft ones which may allow wheelies but also "rocking effect" and issue to keep joystick under control.
    It's important for me, because in France you can't put one wheel outside without bumping on threshold, cracks, gravel, bumps, drainage channels, curbs and more, even on the pavement ! So I not only need a motor... Of course I can buy a Freewheel (It is a good idea anyway) but I'm not sure to improve my maneuverability with a Freewheel in the city !
    You know what ? I'm going to ask (for the fun) my reseller to fix this, without telling him I have the answer, just to learn how long they (I mean my reseller, Runseat and Spinergy) have to work finding a solution ! Why not ?
    Thanks, all. CareCure is a tremendous tool...
    Pat, I should have other questions, in the future...
    Last edited by robotnik; 03-21-2015 at 09:37 AM.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

I think if they want the sale, they should sort this out for you. Otherwise, you might as well do what we did and order it online from the US and do it all yourself (there was no other option back then).

I can't say for sure about improving maneuverability with a Freewheel in the city, but from what I can see with Rob using his ZX-1 outdoors, I do think it would help on all of those things you mentioned. It seems to be the front casters causing the the biggest jolts, even on small differences in pavement. Maybe some others can give you more input on that.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    Wow ! Nice (and clever, of course) explanations Pattherat ! I was not looking at the anti-tips this way, but using them also as dampeners is very impressive ! Brilliant !
    With the springs rating (thanks Elarson) I hope we ll'be able to set up this beast as well. As you can imagine, it is "out of the box"? And I'm pretty sure neither the importer (Runseat, in France) nor the reseller knows those proper settings...
    So, I'll have to manage between 2 effects : strong springs means great damping effect, but difficulties to wheelie (ride heigh and COG have their importance too), and soft ones which may allow wheelies but also "rocking effect" and issue to keep joystick under control.
    It's important for me, because in France you can't put one wheel outside without bumping on treshold, cracks, gravel, bumps, drainage channels, curbs and more, even on the pavement ! So I not only need a motor... Of course I can buy a Freewheel (It is a good idea anyway) but I'm not sure to improve my maneuverability with a Freewheel in the city !
    You know what ? I'm going to ask (for the fun) my reseller to fix this, without telling him I have the answer, just to learn how long they (I mean my reseller, Runseat and Spinergy) have to work finding a solution ! Why not ?
    Thanks, all. CareCure is a tremendous tool...
    Pat, I should have other questions, in the future...
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Those knobby tires are good for traction but are a bit of a bumpy ride around the house. I have these on one of my ZX1s and they're really nice. A little pricey but a nice ride, foam filled so no maintenance and they're black. You can get the same tire in grey for half the price but they're grey.

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/3...ead-kenda.html

Thanks for the info. Pat. Those Kenda's look like a nice balance for indoor/outdoor. I was wondering about foam filled tires, and glad to know they work well.