Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Triumph, about what you mentioned:
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Got my snow tires put on ZX1 ! ... When connecting manual chair to zx1, these tires raise my chair a tad higher, but no problem.
    Can you give me an idea about how much higher the bigger profile on the tires is? Since we received the new ZX-1 the clamshell seems just about a millimeter too high for easily rolling into the the clamshell (it is okay when chair is not occupied). I think we might be able to adjust the actuator a little bit, but if higher profile tires do the trick, it solves both the traction issue and the height issue more easily.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

The other website should work too triumph, I'm just not sure exactly where to get the link to copy and paste from them. You can always get the url of a photo (right click and select copy url if needed) and put the "tags" to post it yourself. The tag in this case is just img surrounded by [] before, and [/] after. A tag won't show, so I'll add * here to give you an example. So you would not type the * but the complete thing would look like [img*]www.pictureurl.com[/img*] does that all make sense? It can be difficult to discuss tags, they're part of the forum code that make things work, so if you type them exactly right it becomes code and doesn't show up in the post. Adding * allows it to show in the post here.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

[From elarson:
    Can you give me an idea about how much higher the bigger profile on the tires is? Since we received the new ZX-1 the clamshell seems just about a millimeter too high for easily rolling into the the clamshell (it is okay when chair is not occupied). I think we might be able to adjust the actuator a little bit, but if higher profile tires do the trick, it solves both the traction issue and the height issue more easily.[/QUOTE]

Probably 1/2 inch. But I'm just guessing - With zx1 I'm able to reach things better in one of my lowered kitchen cabinets. If I'm following you correctly, have you tried removing some air from the current tires? The bike shop fellow told us that some folks run lower air than capacity on bikes for better grip, etc., depending on conditions. Wouldn't that lower the clamshell a tad, as you seem to indicate is needed?

Yes, you have it right about needing to lower the clamshell a tad. I had it mixed up when I said raising it in my previous post. Good suggestion about taking some air out, and also it helping with traction. I'm going to give it a try, because definitely having more profile on the tread would make it even higher to roll into the the clamshell. Many thanks.

Probably 1/2 inch. But I'm just guessing - With zx1 I'm able to reach things better in one of my lowered kitchen cabinets. If I'm following you correctly, have you tried removing some air from the current tires? The bike shop fellow told us that some folks run lower air than capacity on bikes for better grip, etc., depending on conditions. Wouldn't that lower the clamshell a tad, as you seem to indicate is needed?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I'm posting these photo's for triumph:
    Name:  triumph zx1tire ((558x640).jpg
Views: 276
Size:  208.4 KB Name:  triumph zx1wheel.png
Views: 279
Size:  489.2 KB Name:  triumph 20132014 033 small.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  451.7 KB

Here are a couple of photos of my installed snow tires and the wheels, before they were installed. I plan to order two sets of wheels for the original zx1 tires when Spring gets here.
    Well, I'm posting this anyway as after reading instructions for posting photos and trying for 30 minutes, I got the dreaded red dot with an exclamation point in it, telling me no photos will be taken from my computer into this post.
    In addition, under FAQ it says to use the "New Post" or "New Thread" page and not "Quick Reply". Was unable to find these pages, so tried quick reply.
    Any suggestions? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I'm posting these photo's for triumph:
    Name:  triumph zx1tire ((558x640).jpg
Views: 276
Size:  208.4 KB Name:  triumph zx1wheel.png
Views: 279
Size:  489.2 KB Name:  triumph 20132014 033 small.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  451.7 KB
    Thank you elarson! Sorry to add the photos again - clicked at wrong spot for reply.
    Last edited by triumph; 12-30-2014 at 08:55 AM.

You know what would be really nice? ZX-1 rental. I need shoulder surgery, but that means I'll have to use my power chair which is currently just an outdoors chair so thats complicated in itself and I don't know if the batteries would survive daily use, and would require me to get 2 tiny ramps which it seems will cost me $120 minimum (so, have to take care of that before the surgery). Then after all that is the issue with getting around my bedroom and the sharp turn to get into my bedroom in a power chair (I hit the wall a lot in my manual, and I rent a room from someone so I'd be so screwed if I knocked a hole in the wall with my power chair or something which really wouldn't surprise me, especially because its right shoulder surgery and I'm right handed with more severe nerve damage in my left arm/hand...).... Anyway, a whole lot of these would be SO much easier if I could rent a ZX-1 through insurance. (I am going to see if its possible to rent a powerchair from insurance for this, a better fitting better chair would solve some of the problems.)
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Yes, it would be great to rent such equipment. I understand full power chairs are often rented out for long terms.
    Please pardon my nosiness, but my first reaction is how you would function after shoulder surgery with or without a power chair - don't know if you are paralyzed, but most folks I know who have shoulder surgery can't transfer on their own for several weeks.

The ZX1 has the same "profile" as the wheelchair, so it should not cause additional maneuvering issues. Before my zx1 I had to get a used Permobile after a medical meltdown resulting is loss of ADL skills for months. It was a disaster trying to get around at home so I only used it when going out. Once I saw a photo of the zx1 - it had just been purchased by Spinergy - I had to wait a year to get one! Worth every penny. In fact, I would even suggest to some folks to take out a bank loan if insurance does not cover it - it is that fantastically useful.

Regarding "... the zx1 ... I would even suggest to some folks to take out a bank loan ..." -
    before the bank loan approach is pursued, there is a six-month payment alternative that is interest-free.

I'm not paralyzed, so I can use my good leg to aid in transfers. After the surgery I'll also have my smart drive. Which I was supposed to have 6 months ago! But I won't go into that here, looong story. I do wonder though if I'd gotten it 6 months ago if I'd need the surgery yet, I've had a lot of decline in that period.