Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    One thing to consider is width of the tires. If too wide they rub on the motors.
    Thanks, was able to get all data from side of current tire and match it with tires ordered. It remains to be seen if this will work ok; expecting tires this Monday and will need help from bike shop to mount them.
    I'm curious about whether other zx1 users are interested in snow tires.

We are interested in something with a bit more traction for water, snow, etc. I'll be curious to hear how yours work out. We are looking for non-marking black.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Do you have a freewheel? The ZX-1 and freewheel combo might obviate the need for snow tires.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Snow tires for ZX1 in progress:
    My husband and I are hot on the trail of snow tires after I found I couldn't get my ZX1 going in a mere 1" of snow. This problem will really limit me in situations this Winter where I'm in a parking lot and will need to travel from there to class, restaurant, etc., etc.!
    The first ones we ordered from a mammouth tire dealer were great tread, but we didn't realize to ask for "non-marking" and before we even had them put on a friend asked if we got non-marking. Sure enough, just rubbing them gently on our kitchen floor produced the dreaded mark. I know there exists black tires that are non-marking, but these definitely mark.
    The tread was fantastic on these tires, but now in process of returning them and awaiting non-marking grey, with similar, but not quite as deep, tread.
    Eager to try this experiment and if it works out well, will consider trying to get 2 extra zx1 wheels, then mount them with snow tires for easy on and off when needed.
    Caution: The zx1 manual says not to use it on snow or icy, slippery surfaces.

Thanks! Yes, I have a FreeWheel and used it on snow when I demo-ed a Smart Drive for 3 weeks last year. It work great on the SD, but I had to go with the ZX1 and have not tried it on snow in that device. The concern I would have is carrying it in my full size van, then putting it on when I'm parked and out of van with snow on ground, cold, then having to remove once inside my destination. The "perch" for the back of the chair is nice, but, as an "oldster", it's the physical manipulating the whole process that's difficult. If the snow tires work, it would be easier for me. I'd still like to try the FW with zx1.
    I have successfully used the FW on non-snow covered trails with my zx1 and it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    We are interested in something with a bit more traction for water, snow, etc. I'll be curious to hear how yours work out. We are looking for non-marking black.
    I'm pretty sure I saw non-marking black snow tires - after I had ordered the grey!
    There appear to be lots of options for what retailers seem to call "scooter tires". They're sold internationally and sites show pictures of various types of scooters used by non-disabled and mobility scooters used by disabled persons. The ones I got were NOT under "wheelchair" heading, where they sold many types of wheelchair tires.

The tires on the ZX-1 are 3.00-4, also called 10 x 3 and 250 x 85 tires.

Thanks for posting about this, because I have been confused. I've also seen listed it listed as 260 x 85 and 254 mm x 86 mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    The tires on the ZX-1 are 3.00-4, also called 10 x 3 and 250 x 85 tires.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

These are the ones I have ordered fitted no problems. Probably could have found a better price. Offer substantial more grip than the originals which would even slip on level vinyl etc. no more troubles getting on the bus or in the back of my vehicle which has a ramp. Certainly no snow where I live however so you might need a more radical design for that purpose but I can understand how the originals would have been absolutely useless!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140763796...84.m1497.l2649

No marking problems for me.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    These are the ones I have ordered fitted no problems. Probably could have found a better price. Offer substantial more grip than the originals which would even slip on level vinyl etc. no more troubles getting on the bus or in the back of my vehicle which has a ramp. Certainly no snow where I live however so you might need a more radical design for that purpose but I can understand how the originals would have been absolutely useless!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140763796...84.m1497.l2649

No marking problems for me.
    Thanks, Taken. Looks like a nice tire, and glad it's working out. Plan to get mine mounted at bike shop tomorrow. If I can figure out how to put a photo here will show close-up with tread. Already planning a spot near entry to home to "eject" from zx1 onto a rug, so I don't track snow all over house.
    PS, my husband saw somewhere that keeping a bit less air in snow tires makes for better grip in snow, so may try this.

Got my snow tires put on ZX1 ! I'm a happy camper with my new tires mounted successfully at the local bike shop. I purchased them online at Monster Scooter Parts (very nice, efficient, helpful) and they are the same size indicated on side of tires that came with zx1: PR1MO 10" x 3" (3.00-4 or 260 x 85); non-marking grey (they do have non-marking black but not sure if it's in this same tread.). The tires were $22.99 each, tubes $6.99 each.
    When connecting manual chair to zx1, these tires raise my chair a tad higher, but no problem.
    Watched the whole process at bike shop and the repair fellow was surprised to see a two part wheel that easily popped out to mount tire on it. It's a PR1MO product, found online for $20 some bucks each, I believe. (The 1 in PR1MO is not a typo.) The wheels look very well made and sturdy and I think some folks could easily do their own job on the snow tires. Soon I plan to order 2 wheels (4 wheel parts) and have them mounted on my original very slick tires so they don't have to sit idly by in a box until Spring.
    I took photos with my iPhone but must figure out how to post them.
    Funny, I'm now hoping for a snowfall but none in sight for the next week.