Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Just in case it helps, here are our ZX-1 Anti-Tilt Mechanism Adjustments.

Remember that the anti-tilt mechanism only comes into play on inclines. So even if you don't have it adjusted perfectly until you can be in contact with your dealer or Spinergy, it should be safe to use on level ground.

As a note, we are considering not using the anti-tilt mechanism, but have not yet removed it. Here are some posts you may want to take a look at from the original inventor Pat: #528 #13
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks I am about ready to get back to this. We've been applying to colleges today and just finished up two more. Going out to shovel a little snow that fell, grab a beer and re-visit the ZX-1. Thanks for the additional information and the helpful links!

These things are always best done with a beer -- cheers
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I wanted to let you all know that we have made a written review of the ZX-1 in case any of you are interested. It is quite focused on the needs of those who have had strokes with one-sided paralysis, but still there may be some points for others. It's rather long, so I did not want to copy it here, and there are also going to be a few corrections and updates. Here is a link to our ZX-1 Review.

Just heard yesterday that the lithium batteries for the zx1 are available for overseas orders, but NOT U.S.A. yet! Something about still waiting for approval. Has anyone heard more on this?
    Was looking forward to having these installed before Winter as I like to spend time tooling around indoor malls. Current batteries begin to discharge after a swipe around the whole mall.
    P.S. I have a friend who has mounted his charger to the fiberglass housing on the ZX1, having it handy for charging indoors as well as at a restaurant, etc. with outlets available. Plan to do this or carry it in my backpack, as emergency planning - if battery depleted, forget trying to get your chair out of ZX1, you'd need to do free-wheel release levers and have someone push you.

Another P.S.
    Thank you elarson for all that you do. It's so helpful and reflects a ton of work on your part.

triumph,

Regarding "... heard yesterday that the lithium batteries ... NOT U.S.A. yet ... anyone heard more ..."

If the order involves a new ZX-1 then the LiFePO4 batteries are available in the USA now from here.

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    triumph,

Regarding "... heard yesterday that the lithium batteries ... NOT U.S.A. yet ... anyone heard more ..."

If the order involves a new ZX-1 then the LiFePO4 batteries are available in the USA now from here.
    Thanks! Looks like I'll be carrying my charger on board.

Snow tires for ZX1 in progress:
    My husband and I are hot on the trail of snow tires after I found I couldn't get my ZX1 going in a mere 1" of snow. This problem will really limit me in situations this Winter where I'm in a parking lot and will need to travel from there to class, restaurant, etc., etc.!
    The first ones we ordered from a mammouth tire dealer were great tread, but we didn't realize to ask for "non-marking" and before we even had them put on a friend asked if we got non-marking. Sure enough, just rubbing them gently on our kitchen floor produced the dreaded mark. I know there exists black tires that are non-marking, but these definitely mark.
    The tread was fantastic on these tires, but now in process of returning them and awaiting non-marking grey, with similar, but not quite as deep, tread.
    Eager to try this experiment and if it works out well, will consider trying to get 2 extra zx1 wheels, then mount them with snow tires for easy on and off when needed.
    Caution: The zx1 manual says not to use it on snow or icy, slippery surfaces.

One thing to consider is width of the tires. If too wide they rub on the motors.