Page 64 of 77 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

I found the VR2 Attendant Module for about $100 on eBay.co.uk, but it does not include the Dual Attendant Intermediate Cable. If anyone see's one of these at a good price, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    There is one on ebay right now for $430.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I managed to buy the Dual Attendant Intermediate Cable directly from PG Drives in the UK. Based on my experience with them in the past when I was going to order a programmer, it's cheaper than ordering through other channels and they are very quick to respond. Now I just need to figure out how to mount it.

Update: I think a mobile phone mount I have may work for this. Stay tuned....
    Last edited by elarson; 10-01-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I installed the VR2 - Dual Attendant Control today. It was really easy -- "plug n play" as mentioned by Pat. I did a quick lash-up for a mount with a cheap mobile phone holder and a lot of Gorilla glue. It will need something more robust, but is good enough for testing. I also had to order a joystick knob because what we bought is off of eBay and it was not included, but it's not here yet.

Overall, it all seems to work and I am quite impressed with it, though this is my first experience with attendant controls and I'm quite limited with power equipment in general. It's really great to be able to take over control when we get into hectic situations, and we both feel safer having it. It will also be helpful in shops where it is easier for me to take control. We sometimes use a trailer that gets hitched to the wheelchair and it's really hard for my husband to maneuver when he can't see what is happening behind him..

This might be a good option for others who may have a similar situation with vision problems, brain injury, etc. who need some help from time to time.

I have some questions I hope to get some help with:

I'm finding the steering is a bit wonky. It is not as easy to steer as the standard joystick and kind of swings around a bit. I did a reorientation of the joystick as described in the VR2 Technical Manual and all seemed fine with the flashing light indications. Possibly this is because the mount is not great, or the location aft, but I thought I would ask in case Pat or others have some tips.

We programmed the VR2 with multiple drive profiles, rather than just the default of a single profile to increase and decrease speed. From the testing I have done with the Dual Attendant Control, it looks like the speed is only an increase and decrease of speed, rather than using the multiple drive profiles. Does anyone know if the Dual Attendant Control can be programmed similar to the the VR2 Joystick?

Does anyone know of a cheap mounting solution? I would really like something that might be a bit higher so I don't have to lean down to operate it.

Lastly, if Pat or others think I've not done this in a good way, i.e., cables, location, etc., please let me know. I took a leap on this and have no idea if I did it right.

I've included some photos in case anyone is curious. Please excuse our photo bombing dog.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by elarson; 10-15-2018 at 06:05 AM. Reason: to add photos

My DME dropped off a new ZX-1 the other day. He hd to lower the anti tip mech. a couple holes. I notice he didn't change the rear gas struts height. Are they supposed to be level or is an angle, by a couple of holes, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I'm finding the steering is a bit wonky. It is not as easy to steer as the standard joystick and kind of swings around a bit.
    Given the location of the drive wheels, you may feel that the attendant control is moving the opposite way. You may want to try inverting the left/right axis of the attendant control if the programmer allows that.

We almost always do that on front wheel and midwheel drive powerchairs.

Nice to see you back SCI_OTR -- you have been missed.

It's not really moving the opposite way, it is just not clearly moving in the direction it should and is kind of wavy. I'm not sure if the attendant control can be programmed, which is a bit of a shame. -- there is no programmer socket.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Given the location of the drive wheels, you may feel that the attendant control is moving the opposite way. You may want to try inverting the left/right axis of the attendant control if the programmer allows that.

We almost always do that on front wheel and midwheel drive powerchairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    My DME dropped off a new ZX-1 the other day. He hd to lower the anti tip mech. a couple holes. I notice he didn't change the rear gas struts height. Are they supposed to be level or is an angle, by a couple of holes, okay?
    I don't think it's critical as long as they compress yet provide some resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Nice to see you back SCI_OTR -- you have been missed.

It's not really moving the opposite way, it is just not clearly moving in the direction it should and is kind of wavy. I'm not sure if the attendant control can be programmed, which is a bit of a shame. -- there is no programmer socket.
    I think it's probably just the movement of your mount that's making it steer funny. If you've ever tried driving the ZX-1 with the armrest not locked in you know it's not easy.
    It looks like you routed the cables well.
    I could probably make you a decent solid mount if you'd like. I think it would be better if it was a bit higher and further back.

Got my mud-bog knobbies.
    Went around back to the run up to our generator: FAIL!

The ground was quite saturated; maybe if it dries out it will work. I know a free-wheel is a big improvement but I need to approach the unit head on and so no free-wheel for me.

Now I have two fully mudded knobbier-not coming indoors any more!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

You are a rock star Pat! I think you are right about it just being that weak mount, because it is a similar feel as when the armrest is not locked. And I'm glad I did the cables okay. I have since cable tied them all better underneath too.

I would be really interested in having you make a solid mount. I've been searching for something off-the-shelf that I could modify, and don't see many good options. The closest I found were Stealth Products mounts and Ram Mounts, but all would require modification.

I'll send you a PM so we can talk about it more. Who knows, maybe Spinergy will want to buy yet another of your good works

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
    I think it's probably just the movement of your mount that's making it steer funny. If you've ever tried driving the ZX-1 with the armrest not locked in you know it's not easy.
    It looks like you routed the cables well.
    I could probably make you a decent solid mount if you'd like. I think it would be better if it was a bit higher and further back.