Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 545464748495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

good stuff, I agree this unit is very impressive
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Nice video! Got my zx1 about 4 years ago and love it. My shoulders are pretty wasted after decades of Polio paralysis. The "lightbulb" moment for me 3 years ago was when hubby (T10 para) and I went to meet friends at a restaurant. The parking lot was pretty sloped and with me in my manual chair I had to grab onto the back of his wheelchair to be towed to the entrance. Felt pretty stupid for me and for extra work for him. Ordered zx1 shortly after.
    I had already given up race chair, then handcycling; stay very active, using my zx1 scooter whenever I leave the house. If I have a rough shoulder day I use it indoors.
    I've gotten so many helpful tips on zx1 use at this site.
    ive had 3 smartdrives, great piece of equipment however, it just was not what I needed. I wanted it to be. great company and ppl there. the zx in my opinion is perfect for any quads arsenal and for paras as they age with beat up shoulders. super easy to use independently.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    Agree with Triumph, nice video. I've got first edition Smart Drive but hasn't worked out the way I'd hoped. I don't use it as much as I thought. ZX-1 looks like it would be nice for popping on and off chair. Looks like it would be nice for getting up and down minivan ramp and also getting around all the places ( my house) without modifying environment and techniques I use with manual chair. Thanks for posting.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

John, if you have the programmer, you should try the non-proportional speeds Coolmobility has posted -as an exemple- page 39 !
    It gives to the ZX-1 five "programs of use" instead of five increasing speeds.
    It's a very nice improvement and the ZX-1 is -was it possible ?- more enjoyable and effective!

Thanks for pointing to the page with post #390. I have been looking for it to reprogram Rob's ZX-1 with new lithium batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    John, if you have the programmer, you should try the non-proportional speeds Coolmobility has posted -as an exemple- page 39 !
    It's a very nice improvement and the ZX-1 is -was it possible ?- more enjoyable and effective!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I downloaded that. I wasn't sure on some as I programmed one and it was very slow.

so has everyone removed the antitilt?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Have not removed the anti-tilt and don't plan to. Just feel safer with it.

I did, after 2 or 3 weeks of use.
    They were rubbing against the hood, difficult to adjust, too close to the backseat, and the air shocks were waaay too hard. It was a PITA.
    Once removed, you have the "dive effect" to manage (the armrests rocks when the engine braking is applied) but it can be done.

The 5 programs are a great thing, because the setting of forward/reverse speed, rotating speed, torque and brake power are different (and non-proportional) in each case.
    When you're cruising at high speed, you don't want a lot of rotating speed that can make you unable to go straight. You don't want too a lot of brake power that stops you in 1/4second with the risk of throwing you out of the chair. All these settings are in the 4th program.
    1st nd 2nd are for slow maneuvers in tiny space, your van or a lift, 3rd is very allround, big torque and same speed as s/o walking at your side, and 5th is for high speed/low consumption on flat terrain.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

I just put 30lb shocks on. will put those in my system and try all 5. I have a few things to do yet. I realy love this little beast. mine dives anyway when I brake hard since I have the rollers 1 in off my backrest. it wont flip forward.

I did, after 2 or 3 weeks of use.
    They were rubbing against the hood, difficult to adjust, too close to the backseat, and the air shocks were waaay too hard. It was a PITA.
    Once removed, you have the "dive effect" to manage (the armrests rocks when the engine braking is applied) but it can be done.

The 5 programs are a great thing, because the setting of forward/reverse speed, rotating speed, torque and brake power are different (and non-proportional) in each case.
    When you're cruising at high speed, you don't want a lot of rotating speed that can make you unable to go straight. You don't want too a lot of brake power that stops you in 1/4second with the risk of throwing you out of the chair. All these settings are in the 4th program.
    1st nd 2nd are for slow maneuvers in tiny space, your van or a lift, 3rd is very allround, big torque and same speed as s/o walking at your side, and 5th is for high speed/low consumption on flat terrain.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

robotnik, Since you have not heard any replies on this post, I thought I would take a try at it.

Do you think your problem could be because the controller got too hot?

This is what Burgerman wrote about Fold Back on Wheelchairdriver.com: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powe...rogramming.htm. Note: It also a good source of information in general for reprogramming the ZX-1.

For the VR2 it is called "Current Foldback Temp." and is under MOTOR PARAMETERS, which you need the OEM version of the PC Programmer to change. I just checked the prameters that Spinergy sent me and it does not show that they have set this, so I am assuming it is set to the default 55 degrees C.

d) TEMPERATURE FOLD BACK? As the controller has to control a large amount of energy it gets hot. Its not 100 percent efficient. So climbing hills, especially on a hot day for example can cause the controller to get hot. To protect itself it then drops to a reduced power level (your chair feels gutless!) until it cools sufficiently to go back to normal. The standard setting is a very conservative 55 degrees on most powerchairs. Depending on powerchair model and control system.
    Well the manufacturers don't want to be replacing these controllers under warranty so its a good safe figure "for them". Its too low for me. Thing is it causes me grief because I am an animal! It cuts in and slows me down in summer if I am working the powerchair hard. I have had mine set to 70 degrees C on 3 different powerchairs that have worn out 10 sets of motors (not through heat but wrecked mechanical couplings / gearboxes etc) and 15 sets of batteries in about 12 years and never had one controller fail yet. The controller doesn't measure motor temperature just its own temperature. Motors don't get very hot anyway. So if you suffer power loss in sport, on hills, set it a little higher. It will be fine. But if it DOES fail, don't blame me! Your call! Life's too short for a safety Nazi Manufacturer "safe" settings...
    I accept the small risk and don't care if it fries! In 12 years of abuse none have done so yet. If you are careful and worry about these things leave it alone! Or raise it a little.
    I had two times the same issue with my ZX-1 and need your input.
    Each time I think I had "overloaded" the device, asking maybe for more power it was able to give : First time in a short but big incline, 2nd on the beach with my FreeWheel in front, but with too deep sand.
    As a result, the ZX-1 stopped and on the joystick one light started to blink red.
    Each time I was in the middle of nowhere, and had to wait for help. But the issue is the device has to be resetted to re-start, and as far as I know, you need to ... plug it in to do that. And that's not so easy if you don't have a plug in your neighborhood !
    My question is : Is there another solution to quit this "fail mode" ? I tried to unplug the joystick, the batteries, with no result.
    Last edited by elarson; 09-13-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Coolmobility, I finally had time to work on using the drive profiles that you kindly provided. I had already received the ZX-1 Lithium Rev 4.prg in October of 2016 on a USB drive supplied by Spinergy with the Lithium upgrade . I used a borrowed DTT programmer to load it. All of the settings were in sync with those provided in your Parameter Settings.xls.

As a note, all of the parameters that are available on the DTT programmer are the same as they were for SLA batteries, but I suspect that some of the OEM parameters have changed for Lithium that are only available with the PC Programmer.

If confused me a bit about the drive profiles Pr2-Pr5 that Spinergy had set, because I could not see where they were being used. After some testing I realized that because the Number of Drive Profiles was not set, the other profiles were not being used. If I understand correctly, that means that it defaults to Profile 1 (Pr1) with a max speed of 59%.

I did have one question. I did not see what the Torque parameters you used were. I can guess that for Pr1 and Pr2 it would probably be 100%, but am not so sure about Pr3-Pr5. Any input?

So far, I really like the drive profiles and I think it will be much safer for my husband. He has limited upper body control and vision issues and was struggling with maneuverability at low speeds and sometimes taking corners too fast. He also was not able to go much faster than walking speed, and with our nice bike paths in Holland I would like to ride my bike next to him on flat straight terrains. I'm going to tweak the parameters more in the coming days as he tests it more. If you have done any updates, I would be curious to hear about them, and also for what driving conditions.

For anyone else doing this, I found the descriptions of the paramaters in the VR2 Technical Manual (SK77898/04) invaluable (it is on our website because it was too big to upload). It is the latest version that I could get my hands on from PG Drives Technologies (Curtiss-Wright). I also found the Powerchair Programming article by Wheelchairdriver.com very useful for a newbie: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powe...rogramming.htm.

In my view, I think all users should have access to programming their ZX-1 to suit their needs. I don't really want to rely on dealers for this. I'm hoping at some point to buy the Mobility PC Programmer (PCPb OEM Version D50145) so we have access to all the parameters (it?s also cheaper than the DTT).

Quote Originally Posted by coolmobility View Post
    Attached are the instructions to pass onto your dealer. As you can see in the instructions, it is called ZX-1 LITHIUM REV 4.PRG . This overwrites your whole programer settings and changes voltages for LEDs and sets 'crawl' mode settings. You'll then need to go into each program to alter parameters separately. I have included a spreadsheet showing the original settings in the program from Spynergy and my altered settings (Note: these are my preferences that still need further refinements but are to only be used at YOUR OWN RISK, I will not be held responsible for their use). By using different profiles, your display will only show one LED at the position for each profile too. Be very aware that 100% speed is only for use in flat smooth surfaces with plenty of manoeuvring space. In all others, I generally drive in program 3 for best control and that is only 60% speed. Remember that the drive wheels are much closer together than a normal power chair, so control over rough surfaces is compromissed.

I hope you can arrange it with your dealer and Spynergy as it changed my unit from risky to go out alone, to easy and confident to go out and push it. Made all the difference to me being not happy with the ZX-1 to finding it great to use. Hope it works for you.

Attached Images

Attached Files

Thanks for the input Ellyn,
    I'd read this information about the temperature, without paying attention. But you're right, there's something to look at here.
    I've read another time Coolmob's post and seen him and Burgman are OK on one point : when overloaded, there's a progressive reduction of power (Coolmob' says his ZX-1 enters in "crawl mode")
    But mine doesn't do that.
    If overloaded, it just stops dead, stupidly blinking one Led red, and that's all. And if you are in the middle of nowhere (it's ALWAYS happen in the middle of nowhere) all you can do is waiting a little bit, or yelling like hell for someone in the neighborhood, explain him how to remove the actuator's pin (not easy, with all your weight on it), let him shook all this mess (you, your wheelchair, and the ZX-1 welded underneath) until this beast accept to unhook your wheelchair, explain another time how to put the ZX-1 in freewheel (these small levers are very difficult to move), let him push the ZX-1 to your car, while you're waiting for him to come back for pushing you (because of course if you'd come there WITH the help of your ZX-1, there's a lot of chances you can't go back alone WITHOUT it !). Then come home to plug the ZX-1 and awake him. It means at least one hour lost in explanations and stupid maneuvers.
    And I think it's very unsafe. I'm not able to know, in front of an incline, if my ZX is going to climb it or to leave me there. I can't accept that.
    There's a new importer in France now, I'm going to ask him for a support (while I'm searching on my side)
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.