Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Thanks for your reply Nonoise.

I find all of the conflicting information that I read about lithium battery charging a bit disconcerting. I'm already a bit nervous about the lithium batteries because I let them sit for a long time before installing them. Although one of them showed the capacity was low on the LED indicator, it shows to be fully charged now. I really wish there was a better way of knowing, rather than waiting until we are on a long ride and can't get back.

Here is the link to the 3.0A smart charger for LFP battery pack that was linked on their website: http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcha...10-240vac.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    The Spinergy lead acid charger LS 24/4 does not specifically state that it shuts off when charged. That is a requirement for lithium. There must be *no* float. Also it is a 4 amp charger. That is higher than I've seen for this range voltage, so I'd want to research that too. I couldn't open your LFP battery pack link, but it looks like it's a 3.0A charger.

That an interesting theory about CCCV. Just remember not all BMS's are created equal.

Edit: Well the 10A 12V Lithium LifePO4 on Clean Republics site says "...Compatible with most SLA chargers...." So apparently if Spinergy okay'd it, you are good to go. I'd still check to be sure there is no float charge.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Elarson,
    i notice you have or had d's locks, any issuue w/docking zx-1 w/ them.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

It's a tight fit on the camber tube with the D's Locks (16 inch width TiLite ZRA), but it "just" fits.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Elarson,
    i notice you have or had d's locks, any issuue w/docking zx-1 w/ them.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    It's a tight fit on the camber tube with the D's Locks (16 inch width TiLite ZRA), but it "just" fits.
    my chair is 17 wide tr3
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

We managed to work around D's Locks, armrest brackets and anti-tips (user friendly). I think it was well worth the effort. See next post.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    my chair is 17 wide tr3

I took this video today after doing the lithium battery upgrade -- first run. We were both absolutely thrilled with how well it went. My guy has visual field cuts and neglect on one side and he was very able to navigate with the ZX-1, despite it being about 10 months since he last used it. We will be playing with settings for a little while, but overall, it worked really well. I can't thank Pattherat and the folks from Spinergy enough for the freedom that this has enabled us.

https://youtu.be/e9OxHNeYaPw

Can a person increase the space between the inside of the tire and frame while using D locks? For me, it was just a matter of adding spacers on the cambertube to add width to the wheels. I'm sure you'll fit just fine.

On another note, speaking of Lithiums. I have a 48vx20ah lithium battery on my handcycle. I noticed the charger wasn't making noise it usually does charging. So obviously something was not right. the positive wire from the battery to the three pin socket was pulled out a bit. As I was taking the plug apart the positive fell across the neg and sparked bigtime. It really showed the power inside one of these batteries. No damage except it melted the plug. I still have 45v left so plenty of juice til a replacement plug comes.

I read up on lithiums from the Ebikekit.com site today. It basically said they don't like to be run down all the way, keep them charged and mini charging while getting coffee is fine. Leaving them plugged in is fine. It's important using the proper charger made for Lithiums. There's a sensor inside that shuts down the charging process when the battery is full. Lithiums can malfunction and explode mainly because of the overcharging using a charger that doesn't conform to Lithium requirments that shuts of the charging process.

That is really cool E.and Rob. I agree Lithium is the way to go! New doors got opened.
    Totally true how the ZX-1 enables Freedom. I can see upgrading on the next battery purchase.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 08-12-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    ...As I was taking the plug apart the positive fell across the neg and sparked bigtime. It really showed the power inside one of these batteries. No damage except it melted the plug. ...
    I accidentally melted a screwdriver tip on one. I was afraid I'd ruined the battery, but it's fine.

I read up on lithiums from the Ebikekit.com site today. It basically said they don't like to be run down all the way, keep them charged and mini charging while getting coffee is fine. Leaving them plugged in is fine. ..
    I could not find the coffee thing but it makes sense, however there is a lot of confusing, conflicting info out there on the charging, and storing of lithium batteries. It is true they don't like to be run down. It will ruin them, that is the purpose of the BMS and it is also why the device will suddenly go from working to not working. The BMS will kill power to save the battery when the gas tank gets too low. One thing I like about the Bionx battery is that there is a warning bell that goes off when that is about to happen. It took me the longest time to figure out where the chirping was coming from in my garage until we isolated it to the battery. If ignored the battery would be no good like what happened to my wifes e-bike battery. It self destructed out of neglect. But leaving them plugged in to the charger...I know the proper charger is supposed to shut off. I believe they will someday fail. The one I got from Max Mobility would not shut off. MM replaced everything. My chargers get unplugged ASAP.

...There's a sensor inside that shuts down the charging process when the battery is full. Lithiums can malfunction and explode mainly because of the overcharging using a charger that doesn't conform to Lithium requirments that shuts of the charging process.
    You always say things better than me. I'll follow you. The SLA charger either shuts down or switches to trickle charge. SLA is fine with trickle charge but as Patrick notes Lithiums can explode when overcharged. The safest thing to do is just unplug the thing.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I took this video today after doing the lithium battery upgrade -- first run. We were both absolutely thrilled with how well it went. My guy has visual field cuts and neglect on one side and he was very able to navigate with the ZX-1, despite it being about 10 months since he last used it. We will be playing with settings for a little while, but overall, it worked really well. I can't thank Pattherat and the folks from Spinergy enough for the freedom that this has enabled us.
    Great video, LifePO4 are great lithiums. I bet they are as good as when you got them. A rough check is to test the voltage of each separately when fully charged.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.