Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

"That's funny. They must have felt compelled to do it. I had both an MGTD and a Sprite. It's been a long time, but as I recall each had a 12 volt battery."
    You are correct-both had a 12V battery behind the cylinder head; MOWOG somehow decided 2x6V in the trunk was the ticket.

I think the backbone of the device is in the middle compelling the dual battery strategy but I'd have to check to be certain.

PS: my first car was a Bugeye Sprite which corrupted this college student and informed the arc of my life! I just retired and sold my foreign car repair business after 45 years. When I got hurt in 95, I sold my cars to my friend Jeff Lane who dragged them down to Nashville for his museum, a converted Bond Bakery
    I had a 60 Bugeye; a 67 MkIV Sprite that I restored and modified, high street tune, LSD, the works; a TR8 that I restored, and a 1500 Lotus Super Seven project car.
    Go to the museum site and find how many international cars you never saw before-a quite whimsical and eclectic collection he has. My stuff is so pedestrian compared to most of the museum's!
    https://www.lanemotormuseum.org
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I don't know why there would be two 12V circuits, but I have nothing but words, pictures and a weak memory. Speaking of which I do remember some programing mentioned way back and I just bumped into something I saved which is in conflict with the photo on their site as it shows more than batteries and a cable. Anyway all it says is what I've been saying is that you have to be careful because lithium will cut out, turn off long before lead acid does. This:
    =========paste========
    The retrofit package will include 2 lithium-ion batteries and a new communication cable. Note that the retrofitting task involves re-programming the ZX-1's controller, so you will need access to someone who can re-program your controller. The re-programming enables the joystick module's LED display to warn of the substantially more abrupt power drop associated with depleting Li-ion batteries.
    ===========end========
    edit: just noticed quote is from (not Spinergy): Wheelchair Cushion Sage

BTW, Jeffs collection is mind boggling. I had no idea there were so many attempts at transportation coming out of Europe. That one wheeler looks scary. My MG's were for flipping. I bought them wrecked and did fine, but my conscious caught up with me so I gave up that pursuit. The TD although a mechanical nightmare with it's external oiling was a blast. I kept it a long time until someone gave me an offer I could not refuse (I should have).
    Last edited by nonoise; 05-08-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

MGB had 2 6v batteries hanging alongside the rear driveshaft, accessible from an access plate with dzus fasteners.

Re: programming. I purchased a PG1 programmer but it doesn't work-the supplier is sending another.
    When plugged into the joystick, it reports it version ID, and nothing found. When the joystick is turned on, it displays "acceleration?".
    According to the provider, pressing the arrow key should open the acceleration menu, but nothing happens.
    We'll see when the new one gets here.

My dad bought a TC in 1965 which I slid up over a curb in the rain one day, racking the frame. Not such a big deal as he intended to start frame-off restoration soon anyway, but he still kicked my ass (quite literally).
    NW NJ

You haven't said contrary, so I assume the existing 12v's are charged and the ZX-1 appears to be working. It seems odd the programmer failed, glad you are getting it replaced.

I used my TD many sunny days to go to work. One day the front wheel came off, wrecked the front fender, which I then had to pound back out and later I threw a rod. It sold 10X what I paid, scored cylinder, but running. When it got rough, I'd scrape off the spark plug .
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

elarson:

OK....thanks! Hope to hear something soon from my friend.

Lightbulb Schematics for zx1

Hi,

Anyone know now if there are any electronics schematics for the ZX1?

my ZX1 still duets out occasionally and have someone who works in electronics that knows this kinda things looking at making me a switch instead of having to unplug a lead in my ZX1 under the hard case which is impossible for me to do myself.

So so if anyone has any electronics info on ZX1 much appreciated, I've had my ZX1 for over a year now and love it, got off-road tyres which have so much more grip I only have a few things like beeping noises from it that I need to fix a lot of which I think are loose wires but no dealer now in UK at present and I like to fix things.

Thanks

FYI: Re my post about friend's ZX1 clamp not releasing to let chair out of it: dealer said he was apparently holding the "attach" control all the way on a regular basis, instead of stopping when the tires of the wheelchair were barely swiping the ground. He said there's a lever or switch to release it, but the user couldn't reach it.
    Didn't have a chance to go into detail with him. I know there a lever to let the ZX1 "free-wheel" so it can be manually pushed, but that doesn't release the clamp over the axle bar. My older manual is very limited but hope to research this more as I don't want to be caught in this situation out on a trail.

Good timing to bring this to the top again. An update:
    I purchased the used programmer for $199 from CSE Mobility in Red Oak Texas, 972 757 7636. I dealt with Cole and although it was as-is, he immediately shipped a second one and emailed a call-tag. The new unit works perfectly. I reattached the first one and it confirmed it was the original problem by not working again. Because my life was busy and I was concerned I might have a problem with on-board electronics (nightmare!!), I didn't finish the lift I was making. Actually, I used it once and it worked/will be serviceable, however the 1.25" thin-wall square tube (recycled for my Weber grill) I used for the main pillar started to bend!
    So the ZX1 is ready for a real road test (previously it was programmed with huge response lags and such conservative dynamics, I wouldn't use it)

Random thoughts: AFAIK, you're really stuck if the unit dies while you're grasped by it! There's no easy way to un-latch it if the linear motor fails other than disassembling it which is near impossible for a tim-stuck in east bunfuck!

It certainly would be good to have a way to interrupt power to re-boot in case of a problem in use, but that requires a low resistance and accessible switch. How to?
    I'll be looking hands-on at this possibility.
    NW NJ

Did some "driving"
    The chair is nice in the garage, patio, deck, barn-house. It's nice, the feeling of being propelled and not having to work at it.
    The thing is problematic going in/out of the house, especially out! We have a Anderson sliding door; there's about a 1" drop from the flooring to the sill the screen tracks are on, then 1/2" onto the bricks of the patio. The friggin thing gets stuck! I try raising the chair/NG; I lo0wer the chair so the wheelchair tires get some traction: it goes out with me pushing the arms down and pulling the joystick together.
    I go on the road and into the yard. Not too much work getting stuck! My wife assists-even with her pushing, I'm spinning the slicks. I unlatch and she drives the ZX back while I wheel.

The machine doesn't stay centered at all; any difficult uneven surface driving and the machine tire is agains one of the chairs!

Not impressed!
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Did some "driving"
    The chair is nice in the garage, patio, deck, barn-house. It's nice, the feeling of being propelled and not having to work at it.
    The thing is problematic going in/out of the house, especially out! We have a Anderson sliding door; there's about a 1" drop from the flooring to the sill the screen tracks are on, then 1/2" onto the bricks of the patio. The friggin thing gets stuck! I try raising the chair/NG; I lo0wer the chair so the wheelchair tires get some traction: it goes out with me pushing the arms down and pulling the joystick together.
    I go on the road and into the yard. Not too much work getting stuck! My wife assists-even with her pushing, I'm spinning the slicks. I unlatch and she drives the ZX back while I wheel.

The machine doesn't stay centered at all; any difficult uneven surface driving and the machine tire is agains one of the chairs!

Not impressed!
    Shortly after I purchased my zx1 I ordered knobby tires from an online tire place and I've kept them on for the past 4 years. Mainly got them to traverse snow and ice but they proved useful for going over grass and dirt road too, so I have kept them on.
    Also, when I back into unit, and before I hook up I glance at the distance between the wheelchair tire and the zx1 tire, trying to make sure I'm about 1 1/2" or so from zx1 tire edge. It's my way of trying to have the clamp "centered" on my camber bar.

A quirk I'm guilty of is that I must lock my wheelchair brakes when in my van with zx1 hooked up and ready to transfer - I grab onto the stabilized wheelchair tire to complete the transfer to driver or passenger seat. However, if I forget to unlock the wheelchair brake and try to run the zx1 I'm in big trouble. I'm squirrelly all over the place and then must detatch and re-attach, often while still in my van as the clamp has slid over and with the wheelchair tire smack up against the zx1 tire.
    Trying to pay more attention to this type of "senior moment".

Re patio door: Yes! I have similar issue when trying to traverse our patio door/screen threshold. If someone else is present I have them stand by as I feel like I will flip forward. Yes, I have tried that trick of pushing down on armrests while pushing joystick, especially when getting over a small curb outdoors.