Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

I'd like some solid info on changing the batteries without Spinergy $$!
    I wonder if the battery management board is also available aftermarket at big discount from Spinergy price.
    I wonder if it's really necessary if one avoids certain conditions?
    And., how much are the lithium batteries aftermarket?
    Our hike-loop is 3 miles and I wouldn't bet this rig makes it on lead acid technology!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I'd like some solid info on changing the batteries without Spinergy $$!
    I wonder if the battery management board is also available aftermarket at big discount from Spinergy price.
    I wonder if it's really necessary if one avoids certain conditions?
    And., how much are the lithium batteries aftermarket?
    Our hike-loop is 3 miles and I wouldn't bet this rig makes it on lead acid technology!
    Takenaback said in post 416 here "the conversion cost me AU$200 and the lithium ion batteries cost me AU$460" That was about a year ago. $200 AUD is currently about $150.00. Honestly considering the issues I'm coming up with converting this I-Glide from Nimh to NCM, I think $150.00 is dirt cheap. The problems with different chemistry's is that the boards are designed for different low cut off voltages LCV, and high cutoff voltages, HCV. You know lead acid parameters. A series pair of lead acid should top out at 27.6, but lithuim will be closer to 29.2. The extra will likely trip the ZX1 to turn off. You could deal with that by not charging the lithium battery all the way to full, and that incidentally would extend it's life from what they are now saying. On the discharge side, lead acid can be run down quite low. Not so with lithium, hence the LCV. It has to cut out or get killed. Maybe the battery management system can do this, I'm not sure.

The only trick with the Spinergy battery might be the connection pigtail, otherwise you should be able to get one better than theirs. If someone who has done this upgrade can clue you in on what these parts look like etc. it would be a tremendous help.
    Last edited by nonoise; 05-04-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Friend's ZX1 clamp stuck on axle bar.

Talked to a friend yesterday who is a quad in addition to having several other serious medical issues. He had been using his ZX1 to get out. His attendant would usually drive his mini-van conversion and he used the ZX1 to get up the ramp entry, then tool around at the destination.
    About a week or two ago the clamp got stuck and he's unable to get it to disconnect. He has a DME who supplied it, and he's awaiting a part that should fix it. He didn't know what the problem was.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone, and if you know what part will fix things.

I have used my ZX1 for about 3 years now and only had trouble with the dreaded blinking, yellow light once - when I was outfitted with lithium batteries it seems I was connecting differently. I was able to disconnect, then when I connected again I carefully reconnected with barely enough clamp (about 1/8" opening in the clamp), and everything has been fine since.
    Yes, there's an occasional yellow light if I go over bumpy/awkward terrain and I then disconnect and shut it off and reconnect. Causes me to dawdle when out, but tiny price to pay for a spectacular device that has made my senior years graceful.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Takenaback said in post 416 here "the conversion cost me AU$200 and the lithium ion batteries cost me AU$460" That was about a year ago. $200 AUD is currently about $150.00. Honestly considering the issues I'm coming up with converting this I-Glide from Nimh to NCM, I think $150.00 is dirt cheap. The problems with different chemistry's is that the boards are designed for different low cut off voltages LCV, and high cutoff voltages, HCV. You know lead acid parameters. A series pair of lead acid should top out at 27.6, but lithuim will be closer to 29.2. The extra will likely trip the ZX1 to turn off. You could deal with that by not charging the lithium battery all the way to full, and that incidentally would extend it's life from what they are now saying. On the discharge side, lead acid can be run down quite low. Not so with lithium, hence the LCV. It has to cut out or get killed. Maybe the battery management system can do this, I'm not sure.

The only trick with the Spinergy battery might be the connection pigtail, otherwise you should be able to get one better than theirs. If someone who has done this upgrade can clue you in on what these parts look like etc. it would be a tremendous help.

YES_anybody with info about a generic source for the upgraded battery management module PLEASE INPUT THE INFORMATION!!
    NW NJ

YES_anybody with info about a generic source for the upgraded battery management module PLEASE INPUT THE INFORMATION!!
    I now see Spinergy wants much more than Takenaback had to pay.
    The other option that I tried to infer is that I think *you* should be able to add a simple part or two and skip their module by paying attention to the LCV and HCV. One would be a voltmeter to keep an eye on so that you do not drain your battery too far. The other would be some method as to not charge it too high in the first place, or using a stepdown transformer. A stepdown transformer might have additional benefits.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I talked to Spinergy at the NJ Expo today. The upgrade doesn't replace the battery management board, only a small plug in module in the RR corner, and I think they want $2000 for the upgrade.
    (I may be wrong, but it's a usurious amount of money)
    NW NJ

I talked to Spinergy at the NJ Expo today. The upgrade doesn't replace the battery management board, only a small plug in module in the RR corner, and I think they want $2000 for the upgrade.
    (I may be wrong, but it's a usurious amount of money)
    Two grand show special eh Their internet price is $1,400 https://www.spinergy.com/products/zx-1-lithium-package You can see that small plug in module you are looking for in the rotating pictures. The more I think about it, I believe all it does is cut the top voltage down from 29.4 or 29.2 to lead acid max. It might have something to enable a different charging rate too, but chargers are cheap. The built in BMS in the lithium battery should cut out when it's voltage gets too low. BTW, it is insane Spinergy is supplying TWO twelve volt lithium batteries. They should be selling a singly designed 24V lithium and LifePo4 is now old school, but that's another story. I-Glide upgraded, but is stuck on back on Nimh, go figure. As I said, some careful planning, you may not need the module.

Hi Truimph. I got your PM. We have not experienced this problem, so I am afraid I can't really help. I would be curious to hear any follow-up you have about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Friend's ZX1 clamp stuck on axle bar....
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

nonoise: "BTW, it is insane Spinergy is supplying TWO twelve volt lithium batteries. They should be selling a singly designed 24V lithium and LifePo4"

It's like an MGB where the driveshaft tunnel is between the two 6v batteries; no space for a singular battery that's not 1/2 what's available.
    NW NJ

nonoise: "BTW, it is insane Spinergy is supplying TWO twelve volt lithium batteries. They should be selling a singly designed 24V lithium and LifePo4"

It's like an MGB where the driveshaft tunnel is between the two 6v batteries; no space for a singular battery that's not 1/2 what's available.
    That's funny. They must have felt compelled to do it. I had both an MGTD and a Sprite. It's been a long time, but as I recall each had a 12 volt battery. Spinergy's case is lazyness in my opinion. I think they choose two twelves because those fit the existing holder. Then since there it appears to be no other modifications, they added a module between the lithiums and the ZX-1. That modules purpose appears to mimic the output of what lead acid batteries would produce as I posted earlier and I am sure there are other ways to obtain the same result. What I am curious about is that their conversion package does not seem to include a charger. Lead acid chargers are very different than lithium chargers, lead starts full bore and tapers off to trickle. While lithium is full speed to about 90% full and tapering down to completely off instead of trickle as trickle kills lithium.