Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. The best answer I can give is kinda, sorta, maybe. For my husband it is not an option to not have them. We had to do a LOT of adjustments to be able to keep the brackets on when using the ZX-1. It has not been 100% successful, but it mostly works. As with all equipment, it's finding the balance, even if you have to give up on an optimal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Arm rests will work with the ZX?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Put the armrests on today. They work great. I had an extra set of brackets that adds to the depth of the armrests, Added them and it gives it more than enough room, way over an 1" to raise the front wheels. Making brackets is just taking a piece of metal and drilling four holes into it. Then just add to the machine to get the depth needed.

Now to see of they'll help with the shoulder lifts to get the pressure off the bum.

Need input with height sensor...

Hi everyone,
    I'm currently trying new huge 60-507 Schwalbe "crazy Bob", and I have an issue when hooking my ZX-1.
    The external diameter of the tire is bigger and when the ZX is properly hooked, the height sensor detects my chair too high and goes in "crawl mode". Obviously in this case the gap between unhooked and hooked is too narrow.
    My idea was, instead of getting rid of the sensor (is it only possible?) sliding it on his bracket to push it out of range, unable to detect the highest position of the clamshell... Then it should be my business to choose the height of the rig.
    It worked, yes, BUT.. Only once, because when I asked for the highest position, my ZX went in "crawl mode"... And is still there, whatever I do with the clamshell.
    Any idea ? I haven't tried to set back the sensor yet, I would like to use this " big tires/ZX" combo...

Edit : To be crystal clear after another test,
    when I switch my ZX on/off it seems to "erase the memory", and it works fine… BUT if I lift the clamshell too much and then move into crawl mode, this damn thing stays in this mode, even if I lower the clamshell at a correct position…
    To make it short, when the beast moves on crawl mode, it doesn't leave it ! Pretty annoying.

Edit and solved : the sensor was too far away from his range ability. It has to detect something, or it engages the "crawl mode". In my case, the clamshell arm wasn't close enough to the sensor (or the opposite)
    Last edited by robotnik; 09-07-2016 at 01:29 PM.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Yesterday, after having my reprogrammed ZX-1 for over a year, I finally took it for a run with a hand-held GPS to measure speed.

On full, 100% speed, on flat road I get 8.8 to 9kph. Even down a long steep hill, the speed max stayed at 9kph, which surprised me. However, coming back up that hill, after driving at full speed most of 1.8km, with very litttle rest, I was still getting a consistent 8.6kph and my body weight is around 90kg. All this indicates that the motors are not overstressed by general solid surface driving. Jam your front castors in a hole or against a getter ramp transition and that is different and can stress the motors.

Just thought I'd let you all know what the max speeds can be with 100% speed setting (default program is about 70% maximum speed). The fact that the speed didn't increase downhill indicates that this would be about the max with a light driver too.
    Last edited by coolmobility; 09-06-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    Just love inventing stuff.

Picked up one used yesterday for $1600.
    It's still in the back of wife's E350 MB (pretty high threshold). I'm thinking about an easy way to load/unload this heavy thing that doesn't involve long ramp or a hoist.
    Hmmm......

PS: read the whole thread; lots of good info here!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    It's still in the back of wife's E350 MB (pretty high threshold). I'm thinking about an easy way to load/unload this heavy thing that doesn't involve long ramp or a hoist.
    Hmmm......

Nice! Chronicle your lifting device when you can.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Hmmm......

That's a fantastic price for the ZX1! Hope you find a safe way to unload it. They weigh about 70lb. so maybe you know a strong walkee who would stop by and lift it out.
    I've had mine for about three years now and love it. We have van with lift that makes travel with it possible. (Hubby also paralyzed). When we visit family I must leave it in van or at home and be lifted into their home in my chair. I do have concerns about being lifted while hooked up to it - it seems it might put stress on the clamp over the axel bar.

I just ordered a PP1 programmer for $199.99 from CSE mobility off the Bay.

triumph: "I do have concerns about being lifted while hooked up to it - it seems it might put stress on the clamp over the axel bar."

I'm T12/para. I only need to get the ~80lb unit in and out of the MB or my (hatchback) VW GTI. Then transfer and load my chair myself. Until I can do one or both, I'll only be using it around my rural neighborhood. "the loop" here is 3 miles. Would be good to see me make it! (need to unload the thing!)

Seems all that's needed is a sturdy enough support for a swingable arm with a wimpy block and tackle on it.

I'll soon be 70yoa. This is perhaps the beginning of a new chapter!
    NW NJ

Well, it's 2:30 am! I made some good progress using stuff I had squirreled in the garage. It sucks working at home since I retired and sold my shop which has mig machine, chop saw, benders, etc and LOTS of steel stock. The main pillar is made from square tubing I saved from my old grill. I was going to hinge the arm with 3/8" spherical bearings (rod-ends) but some hinges that were laying around sufficed!
    I'll start a thread when I'm rested and edit a link into this post later.
    NW NJ

Congratulations on finding such a good deal. That's a good deal on the PP1 programmer too! Glad you could manage to get it out of the car. Keep us posted on how it goes.

I need to get my husband's going again after getting new lithium batteries. Unfortunately, they got lost in a box uncharged for a few months while we moved 2 times, and I'm afraid to take them out to check to see if they still work.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).