Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869 LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Me too, but the thing never finishes and the voltage keeps rising.
    For thirteen bucks I can afford a proper charger and see how
    THAT behaves.
    What's the ZX-1 range on good lead/acid batteries?
    The cutout voltage on my 24 volt lithium chargers is 29.2. Your's might be marked.
    I have a chair LA charger out in the garage I picked up for the fun of it. I can't go look at it right now, fever and chills, not a happy camper.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I took the ZX1 ensemble into the backyard after we had prolonged and very heavy rains yesterday.

I wanted to get to the generator now that there's plywood laid over the approach to it which is steep and muddy.
    I couldn't get up the hill in the very wet grass that precedes the plywood! The tires spun and spun no matter how I tried to traverse the slope.

Then I had a good idea! Lower the chair until they are carrying a good deal of weight-enough that they are hard to spin.
    My wife pushed the joystick with the lowest speed and I pushed. The combination was very good! The wheelchair tires kept the ZX from digging a deep furrow and the combined benefits of both made the passage easy. Unfortunately, don't have 3 hands but I do have one wife!

When I got back to the garage I found one front wheel totally full of mud. I've started to realize the technique needed in rough ground-how to maintain a balance that keeps the casters airborne while still getting the ZX to dig in without it's casters dragging.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Battery Life. I've got my new-to-me ZX-1 running now, with a replaced clamshell actuator purchased from Spinergy. I have a Key West trip coming up in a few weeks and wanted to learn about battery life. I had purchased new Vmax lead acid batteries a couple months back, conditioning them by running them down to half charge twice and had used the chair only lightly since. After two miles at max speed, 3.4mph, on mostly level ground, my battery charge indicators were down to one yellow light. I didn't want it to die out on the road, so I stopped there. While I don't know how much further I could have gone, that seemed to indicate pretty pitiful range. Is that all I should expect?

I have one of Pat's prototype ZX-1 with SLA Batteries. That was always my concern too. So much so, I rarely took it off my property. Since then, I received a new ZX-1 with Lithium batteries. So far it's made all the difference as to mileage. I use the new one wherever I go now. The old one is sittin' in my workshop until I decide what to do with it.

your best off upgrading to lithium. i can run mine all day on vacation without charging. tip- i take my charger in my backpack then if im needing charged i;ll do it while we have a bite or drinks. plugs everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    Battery Life. I've got my new-to-me ZX-1 running now, with a replaced clamshell actuator purchased from Spinergy. I have a Key West trip coming up in a few weeks and wanted to learn about battery life. I had purchased new Vmax lead acid batteries a couple months back, conditioning them by running them down to half charge twice and had used the chair only lightly since. After two miles at max speed, 3.4mph, on mostly level ground, my battery charge indicators were down to one yellow light. I didn't want it to die out on the road, so I stopped there. While I don't know how much further I could have gone, that seemed to indicate pretty pitiful range. Is that all I should expect?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    your best off upgrading to lithium. i can run mine all day on vacation without charging. tip- i take my charger in my backpack then if im needing charged i;ll do it while we have a bite or drinks. plugs everywhere.
    Couldn't endo-aftermath do the same thing with his lead acid batteries, charge them on the fly if necessary like you do with your lithiums? Or are the lead acid chargers much bulkier and heavier to pack around?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I could upgrade to Lithium, but I wanted get used to the ZX-1 and convince myself that it is something I'd use. My question is about range with lead acid batteries. I was expecting about 5 miles, and if I'm interpreting the battery charge LEDs correctly, I'm getting about half that with virtually new batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Couldn't endo-aftermath do the same thing with his lead acid batteries, charge them on the fly if necessary like you do with your lithiums? Or are the lead acid chargers much bulkier and heavier to pack around?
    he could but it would be often. very often
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

You guys aren't sounding very optimistic about lead batteries!

If we get some warmer weather, I'll prick this boil and report. (how far I got on full charge )
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    he could but it would be often. very often
    Why do you suppose the lead acid batteries in the ZX-1 run down so quickly? Are the ZX-1 batteries much smaller than full power chair batteries? I don't know, I am asking. The drive motors are probably the same or similar between the two.

I do know brushed motors suck juice. My brushed motored I-glide running on the same lithium battery pack caves in long before it ever would when used on the brushless hub motors.