Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: ZX-1 Power Add-on owners thread

LOL, Must be the motors or one of them anyway. No not really Random. I really like mine, it's just having this one challenge, that'll get worked out. I bought mine early from Pat Tallino himself and any challenges he's always there and for the others here also.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    So is 5km to 10km what you were expecting to get with the lithium? That's roughly 3 to 6 miles.
    Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed. No, really, with two motors of this Wattage size, batteries of only 24V @ 15Ah, you can't expect a large range. Wheelchair testing is done with the ANSI 100kg test dummy, but performance figures are not ANSI tested, so are logically tested by moderate speed with the best performance/consumption, over FLAT, smooth terrain with a say 60kg user.

With 2 x 320W motors running at 50% efficiency can potentially burn over 1000Watts at peak starts etc and probably about 300Watts per hour, at moderate output (normal driving) and 640W at high load consistent use, like when going up a long hill at max possible speed. Battery pack @ 24V and 15Ah can possibly give only about 360Wh max, so running at 6km/h, to get over an hour drive time, or travel over 5kms is impressive with me being close to 90kg, so I'm interested, especially as I'm running at about 8km/h on slightly hilly terrain and not perfectly smooth, flat paving/roads.

AGMs will only deliver about 50% of capacity without damage, but Lithium based batteries can deliver about 90% and at higher current (if soon recharged, like your phone). When the weather gets warmer I'll take my charger in a backpack and possibly test the full range with my GPS (so travel will ned to be outside where GPS works) on board to see how far on realistic surfaces, kerb-cuts (curb-cuts for Americans), up and down hills, fast and slow speeds, with rest stops, to get a realistic value. I'll need to run it down to limp-mode battery state, then find a power point for an hour or so to recharge to get home, so not in our Winter. Only realistic testing, on realistic surfaces and conditions will give a functional range. Even then, it will still be only an estimations as power usage will vary with side camber, terrain, driving style, temperature, individual motors, tires (mine a heavy knobbies, smooth tread would probably travel further), and stop times for battery recovery.

Remember that the ZX-1 was not intended as a full-time power chair, but as a supplement to manual function, but for many users 4km a day would be more than they'd use.
    Last edited by coolmobility; 08-22-2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Extra text
    Just love inventing stuff.

I have contacted Spinergy regarding this problem and haven't heard back yet.
    I will call again.
    In the meantime....our ZX1 is working properly EXCEPT for the clamshell that attaches to the wheelchair axl. If we put the ZX1 in "attach/detach ZX1 from chair" mode there is absolutely no activity. If we change to drive mode it drives forward, back everything...just can't get the clamshell to attach to the chair!

(I am getting my daughter settled in to college life at the University of Arizona.)

Sounds like the actuator plug came loose. Plugs into the bottom leftmost connector of the VR2 or top rightmost since yours is upside down.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Working a-ok! I'll remember to check this in the future, thanks again!

hi everyone. New user of the ZX-1 here in France,? and may be the first one !
    Not as new in fact, as I've been rolling for 2 months (!) with a demo, before buying my own.
    I need your input, because I already have an issue, and it looks like a big one !
    I received it last week, and with the help of the reseller we configurate it for my wheelchair and my use. Width adjusting, anti tipper setting, and so on? And, as the ZX-1 in France is setted for a max speed at 6 km/h (3,5 miles approx) I asked him to configure the internal settings, as he has the tools for.
    We used the PG-1 programmer and we saw the max speed was setted at 59%. So without any doubt we entered 100% instead. And maybe that's the mistake?
    Because when I tried it, it worked 2 or 3 mn and then turned off suddenly (very suddenly in fact, I was very close to be thrown off my chair). It was in default mode 1, with one red light blinking on the joystick (charge battery or connection issue). The only solution we had to restart it was to plug in the charger, and it was resetted "as new"? But with the same issue 3 minutes later !
    Obviously there is a problem here. After multiple tests the conclusion is : My ZX-1 works fine but slowly at 59%, and is a beast at 100% but doesn't work.
    I'm now trying at 80%, but I'm not in confidence and I don't want to go too far from home? It seems to work, but?
    Thanks to everyone who has an idea? ? (my model has Lithium batteries)
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Robotnik -- Great to hear that you got your ZX-1. I wish I could help on your question, but I can't. Good luck with everything.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Does it stop dead or just slow down? If it's the latter you have the ZX-1 up too high and its tripping the slow mode. You should ride with your rear wheels just touching the ground. I used a programmer to up my forward speed to 100% (thanks again Pat) and have had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    Not as new in fact, as I've been rolling for 2 months (!) with a demo, before buying my own.
    I need your input, because I already have an issue, and it looks like a big one !
    I received it last week, and with the help of the reseller we configurate it for my wheelchair and my use. Width adjusting, anti tipper setting, and so on? And, as the ZX-1 in France is setted for a max speed at 6 km/h (3,5 miles approx) I asked him to configure the internal settings, as he has the tools for.
    We used the PG-1 programmer and we saw the max speed was setted at 59%. So without any doubt we entered 100% instead. And maybe that's the mistake?
    Because when I tried it, it worked 2 or 3 mn and then turned off suddenly (very suddenly in fact, I was very close to be thrown off my chair). It was in default mode 1, with one red light blinking on the joystick (charge battery or connection issue). The only solution we had to restart it was to plug in the charger, and it was resetted "as new"? But with the same issue 3 minutes later !
    Obviously there is a problem here. After multiple tests the conclusion is : My ZX-1 works fine but slowly at 59%, and is a beast at 100% but doesn't work.
    I'm now trying at 80%, but I'm not in confidence and I don't want to go too far from home? It seems to work, but?

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    I have a Lithium version and had the same problem. Your dealer needs to install a new internal program in your controller from a USB, not just profiles for speeds.
    I weigh 90kg and have speed 5 at 100% but it is really only for on the flat. Going up a hill, mine used to shut down VIOLENTLY, but after update it now goes into 'crawl' mode instead, without the abrupt stop and having to reset by plugging in charger or even easier, unplug one battery terminal and replug it back on. I only trip that 'crawl' mode if I go too fast up a hill in speed 5 and the violent one when I've been really pushing it on dirt going up hill and trying to get out of a rut!

It rarely goes into 'crawl' mode now whereas it used to violently shut down very easily before. When it does go into 'crawl' mode, you'll find it is soft and just won't go fast, but allows you power to undock too. Just switching off then on the control gets you out of 'crawl' unless there is an electrical fault, so easy to get back to driving normally. "Crawl' made also comes on when battery voltage drops to very low but will still let you undock or drive a short safe distance to undock and recharge.

Your dealer will need to get the program from Spynergy to install as it is specific to the Lithium upgrade (or so I'm told) and needs a programmer with a USB input - the standard PP-1 doesn't have that function.

Attached are the instructions to pass onto your dealer. As you can see in the instructions, it is called ZX-1 LITHIUM REV 4.PRG . This overwrites your whole programer settings and changes voltages for LEDs and sets 'crawl' mode settings. You'll then need to go into each program to alter parameters separately. I have included a spreadsheet showing the original settings in the program from Spynergy and my altered settings (Note: these are my preferences that still need further refinements but are to only be used at YOUR OWN RISK, I will not be held responsible for their use). By using different profiles, your display will only show one LED at the position for each profile too. Be very aware that 100% speed is only for use in flat smooth surfaces with plenty of manoeuvring space. In all others, I generally drive in program 3 for best control and that is only 60% speed. Remember that the drive wheels are much closer together than a normal power chair, so control over rough surfaces is compromissed.

I hope you can arrange it with your dealer and Spynergy as it changed my unit from risky to go out alone, to easy and confident to go out and push it. Made all the difference to me being not happy with the ZX-1 to finding it great to use. Hope it works for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Just love inventing stuff.