Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: sleep number beds again

sleep number beds again

its time to replace our mattress. been thinking adjustable too. looking at king sleep numbers. do they really pump up hard enough to not sink in for transfers and dressing? the ones at the hotels sure don't. or just nice adjustable base and good mattress. decisions.

Blog Entries
    Love my SN mattress. Pumping to 100 seems hard as a rock, to me. It's worth noting that pressure includes body weight, which is to say, pumping to 100 while on it is less hard once you're off it than pumping to 100 while in your chair. For me, when I get out after pumping to 100 and check the gauge it's down to 80. Moral of the story, pump it to 100 off of it and it'll be as hard as possible.

Anyone ever use a latex mattress?

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    We've had ours for about 3 mos; absolutely love it. I'm a 35. :)

We've got the adjustable bed; head and feet and the vibrating massage is nice too.

I have a SN bed, best bed ever

Quote Originally Posted by goldnucs
    We've had ours for about 3 mos; absolutely love it. I'm a 35. :)

We've got the adjustable bed; head and feet and the vibrating massage is nice too.
    hows the transfer. I believe your a c6 quad correct.

I'm a 35 for sleeping too, but transfer/dressing/rolling, pump it up to a 100 and it is an amazing difference. I'm a T10, but still, the delta in ease is still the same. I hate being on a normal mattress, feels like jello trying to do anything. We've had our split-king for ~8yrs and it's still going strong.

edit: go to the store and give it a try, you'll like it.

edit2: they have 3 different leg heights, I had them back out twice to get it right for transfer height.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    I'm a 35 for sleeping too, but transfer/dressing/rolling, pump it up to a 100 and it is an amazing difference. I'm a T10, but still, the delta in ease is still the same. I hate being on a normal mattress, feels like jello trying to do anything. We've had our split-king for ~8yrs and it's still going strong.

edit: go to the store and give it a try, you'll like it.

edit2: they have 3 different leg heights, I had them back out twice to get it right for transfer height.
    thx mcduff. do you guys use the thing under the mattress im told you don't have too. I like it at 21-in high for transfers.

I've had a sleep number bed for many, many years. I'm probably going to go with something else next time though (hopefully soon). It is nice to be able to adjust the bed to transfer. I sleep at 50 on my back, 60 on my side, and 100 to transfer. You do need a solid base for the mattress. I use the ones sold by Sleep Number (damn they're expensive) on 4" high legs inside a sleigh bed. The mattress has a tendency to be very high based on the model you buy. The top layer can almost be as tall as the mattress itself.

Here's why I'm looking at going another way:

First, I pretty much sleep on my left side. I start out on my back for about an hour then end up turning to my left side after that. I sleep like that most of the night. The way the sleep numbers provide support seems to create a lower area in the heaviest part of your body, the middle (think of a balloon supporting your body). Over the years of sleeping like this, I've ended up with a curvature in my back that's causing my left hip to sit lower than my right. At 37 years post it's starting to cause issues. So I'm looking at getting a new bed that provides more consistent support.

Secondly, the bed is made up of foam-based sides with two air bladders inside a mattress cover. Over time the mattress cover stretches from transfers and the foam sides will sit a few inches down from when you initially purchased it. I find myself having to sit up then after finding that I'm too close to the edge (with no support) I have to lay back down, move over and sit up again. It's kind of a pain in the ass.

I've looked into purchasing a new mattress cover and foam, but it's so expensive it's not worth it. Sleep Number will also not sell you any upgrades that come out later. For example, they now have the cooler Tempurpedic top layer that will fit inside my top layer that is now pretty worn out. They only had a weird material when I purchased my mattress. They will not sell me the Tempurpedic top layer. They will only sell me the original top layer that came with my mattress, even though these mattresses are pretty modular. They say I have to purchase another mattress to get the new top layer. After spending so much money on these mattresses I'd think I should be allowed to purchase another overly-priced upgrade.

I know this is anecdotal, but my wife and I almost always wake up with pain (her back pain is pretty bad, but always goes away after a hot shower) and it takes a few minutes to get our giddy-up going. We recently stayed in a pretty nice hotel while on vacation and we woke up the entire week without the usual pain. It was amazing. I could tell that I was bent while in the hotel bed and the bed was supporting the bent areas.

YMMV, but that has been my experience after using one for several years (>10). At first, I loved them. I've purchased two for my son (a single while he was growing up and a queen a few years ago), but will be looking at something else very soon.

Have you considered a water bed w/heat?