Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 or 5 inch casters

4 or 5 inch casters

would I tell much difference in the rolling of the chair thinkin of switching to 4 inch to get a lil lower front hieght

Blog Entries
    4s are a bit more rough riding than 5s. I went the other way and like it much better. YMMV, of course. If you lower the front this way don't forget to re-square the forks to the ground, after.

My Icon has 4 inch castors and my Zra has 5 inch. I really don't notice much difference in ride, I like the 5 inch a little better because there seems to be no difference between the two on smooth terrain and the 5s do better on grass.

cool thanks

5s roll over things better, but are noticeably sluggish when turning on smooth floors and noticeably heavier (if you transfer your chair)
    4s are lighter and more agile, but can't roll over things as well (like grass)

Either way you go (I personally vote 5's because of versatility and fewer issues with cracks swallowing them whole) you might like to check out softroll casters. A 4 inch version from Froglegs, comes in a 1.4 inch width, that helps with some of the shock absorption and flotation qualities lost in a smaller wheel.

I have 4" on my previous chair and 5" on my current chair and prefer the 5" for the reasons others stated, they roll over things better. As for them being "noticeably sluggish" as stated by lace... above, in my opinion the difference is very minimal at best and an after thought in a very short time.

If your forks have the more than one hole, you won't have to square the front. just put it the next lower hole and it should be okay. I use the 5x1.5" billet softrolls cause I live in the country and travel over gravel. If I lived in the city with smooth sidewalks and no mud, would probably go for the 4"

I find more peace of mind using the 5" after hitting a small spiece of gravel that stopped my chair dead in it's tracks. Since I got the 5", they seem to roll over everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm
    I have 4" on my previous chair and 5" on my current chair and prefer the 5" for the reasons others stated, they roll over things better. As for them being "noticeably sluggish" as stated by lace... above, in my opinion the difference is very minimal at best and an after thought in a very short time.
    I believe that this is normally the case, however, 5" casters may feel more sluggish (I am assuming this is a reference to fork swivel) if the fork stem is not completely perpendicular to the ground.

Is there such a thing as 1.5" Non-softroll? I was thinking wider 5" wheels might be even better, but I want a harsh ride (and minimal rolling resistance)