Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco

BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) is the train that in the City functions as a subway (above ground mostly in the burbs) while the Muni is electrified rail trolleys on the surface streets in the City. The Muni also runs the City buses.

Between Lands End and Crissy Field, is there thoughts to one over the other?

Also, is Gary Danko's worth the hype?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover
    Between Lands End and Crissy Field, is there thoughts to one over the other?

Land's End is breathtaking. It's almost life changing seeing that view. It can be very cold if the wind picks up but it's definitely worth it. Take some time while you're there and look around. Chrissy Field is an old air strip, now with some out buildings and grassy areas and right close to the water. I've never made an effort to spend time there unless I was on my way to Fort Point which is another place I recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover

It is good, I prefer Mina's ( http://michaelmina.net/restaurants/locations/mmsf.php ) and FWIW the restaurant is accessible and every time I have eaten there the staff has always been really great (none of the "oh look a guy in a wheelchair" fake niceness, just great service)

Thank you for the feedback.

I had originally planned on taking a brief side trip to Muir Woods before heading to Monterey and south, but the more I think about it, I wonder if, a) the crowds on a Saturday morning would be too much, and b) it is the opposite direction from Monterey. Are there other parks to see redwoods along the way, that are accessible?

Still putting together our itinerary, and wanted to get the thoughts of those that are familiar regarding timeframes. Our flight is expected to arrive in SF around 9 am on a Wednesday. After an early morning and long flight, I'm not sure how much exploring we'll be up for our first day, but we plan to visit the sites in SF on Thursday and Friday, relying on public transportation. On Saturday, we are renting a van for the remainder of our stay. Tentatively our plan is to drive to Lands End in the morning (depending on fog), taking in the Golden Gate Bridge. Originally my plan was to drive to Muir Woods, but with possible weekend crowds, and heading it the opposite direction, I am reconsidering going to Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park instead on our way to Monterrey. Not sure if a lunch stop in Santa Cruz is suggested? From there, arriving in Monterrey. I'd like to do 17-mile drive in the late afternoon, then stroll around Monterrey in the evening. Not planning to do the aquarium at this point. Sunday morning, we'd like to stop at Point Lobos State Reserve in the AM, the drive through Big Sur, stopping at Nepenthe for lunch and for photo opps, before arriving in Cambria. Monday doing the Hearst Castle, before driving back to SF. Time wise does this seem reasonable?

Three things made me think of your trip to San Francisco.
    The Golden Gate Bridge does not have toll takers. You need to make arrangements to pay your toll (several options) before you cross the bridge. This link covers your options:
    http://goldengate.org/tolls/rentalvehicles.php

I don't recall the exact dates of your trip, but there are plans to close the Golden Gate Bridge in September or in October for about 52 hours, but the dates haven't been set. The bridge authority is installing a moveable divider. The roadway will be closed, but the sidewalks will be open. You can sign up to get Bridge alerts at:http://www.goldengate.org

A new water taxi service has been introduced in San Francisco. Wondering if they will be accessible. Hard to imagine that they wouldn't be, but....If I find out more, I will write.
    http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/...service/nfDcJ/

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Just one r in Monterey. Monterrey is in Mexico on the Caribbean coast...

Big Basin State Park is a great place to see redwoods in the Santa Cruz mountains, but I would still favor Muir Woods over that. Go early in the AM and you can miss most of the crowds.

Drive on down toward Moss Landing to eat lunch. Less crowded than Santa Cruz, and a couple of very good places to get inexpensive seafood there.

Still would recommend the Aquarium in Monterey.

At Nepenthe, there is a poorly marked entrance and parking for wheelchairs. Have someone from your party go in and put your name on the waiting list (always lengthy), then get directions on how to drive up to the accessible parking area for the restaurant. It is steps (and a good number of them) for the main entrance.

Be sure to make reservations on-line ahead of time for the wheelchair tour at Hearst Castle.

(KLD)

Thank you again for your replies. Very helpful. I will be there the first week in September.

I have considered altering my plans slightly. Rather then one night in Monterey, and one in Cambria, I am considering canceling the one night in Cambria, and instead spending 2 nights in Monterey. We think we would prefer to spend more time photographing and exploring the nature aspect of Big Sur/Monterey/Carmel, then travel to Cambria for the Hearst Castle, and then the 4 hour return drive to SF.

Of the two, Big Basin or Henry Cowell, is one preferred over the other? Have better w/c access? From what I've researched, Big Basin seems to be further of the beaten path.

I had hoped to see/photograph the Archway rock at Pfeiffer Beach. I had read where there was a beach wheelchair available at the gate, however when I contacted them, I was told it was no longer available. Sadly. Are there vendors that rent beach wheelchairs?

I found this site regarding renting a beach wheelchair in Santa Cruz, which isn't too far out of our way on our return trip (we will be stopping in Santa Cruz on our way anyway). http://www.sharedadventures.org/page...heelchair.html
    Last edited by landrover; 03-26-2014 at 02:57 PM.