Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by landrover
    Hi, we are planning to stay at the Grand Hyatt. Our difficulty has been finding hotels that do not have platform-style beds, as I use a lift.

Also, I had been to SF probably 23 years ago, prior to my accident. I had gone to the Coit Tower, and was planning on doing so again, as my travel partner has not been to SF, but after some thought, do you think it is worth it to do again (not sure of access), or is it just as well to view from a distance? Coit Tower is just one of the touristy things to do on at least one visit to San Francisco. As I recall, the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top, there are some steps to negotiate after you exit the elevator. I think there is a ramp now that will get you into the ground floor entrance to the tower. You could view the murals while your companion goes to the top for the city wide view. But, maybe you can find more info on line.

A somewhat bizarre thought, but also planned to show her Lombard Street. Initially I wanted to video myself going down the street in my powerchair, but after seeing some videos, it appears that it may not be safe (too steep), nor legal? Thoughts? There is an almost constant stream of traffic on Lombard street, one way, narrow, very steep. I don't think you would want to take this street on in a chair. I think driving down in the rental van is the reasonable thing to do. However, some have done it on a Segway. After watching this clip, I got the impression that not everyone who started out on Segways made it to the bottom.
    [SIZE=12px][/SIZE]
    All the best,
    GJ

Hi, I'm trying to tentatively book hotels/van. Our plan is to fly in on a Wednesday, and rely on public transportation/private accessible taxis to see the sights within the city. Saturday morning have the van delivered, checking out of our hotel, and driving to Monterey. We hope to first drive to Muir Woods before heading to Monterey. Once in Monterey, visit the aquarium, do 17-mile drive, spending one-night. Then driving along the coast, with numerous stops, to Cambria. Spending one night in Cambria, perhaps visiting the Hearst Castle the following day, before driving back to our original hotel (avoiding van drop-off costs). Flying home on Tuesday. Is this reasonably paced? Will 2 full days within SF be enough to see/do most of the typical touristy things?

Also, exploring options, has anyone ever stayed in a hostel before. I see Monterey has one, offering private rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover
    Hi, I'm trying to tentatively book hotels/van. Our plan is to fly in on a Wednesday, and rely on public transportation/private accessible taxis to see the sights within the city. Saturday morning have the van delivered, checking out of our hotel, and driving to Monterey. We hope to first drive to Muir Woods before heading to Monterey. Once in Monterey, visit the aquarium, do 17-mile drive, spending one-night. Then driving along the coast, with numerous stops, to Cambria. Spending one night in Cambria, perhaps visiting the Hearst Castle the following day, before driving back to our original hotel (avoiding van drop-off costs). Flying home on Tuesday. Is this reasonably paced? Will 2 full days within SF be enough to see/do most of the typical touristy things?
    Driving to Muir Woods, wheeling the one mile loop trail then driving to Monterey and trying to see the Aquarium and the 17 mile drive in the same day is quite aggressive. You will be frazzled and not enjoy yourselves, I would imagine. From Muir Woods to Monterey Bay Aquarium is approximately 135 mile or 2.50 hours in ideal traffic. This trip can easily take 3+ hours. Consider doing Muir Woods and drive to Monterey, check into your hotel, do the 17 mile drive and a little walk on one of the boardwalks along the beach and end the day with a nice dinner. Next day, do the Aquarium, have lunch in the cafeteria (their Monterey clam chowder is wonderful and a must try). Then drive to Cambria along Highway 1, check in to your hotel have dinner and get a good night's sleep. Next morning drive to Hearst Castle, plan to spend about 1/2 a day. After Hearst Castle, drive the 101 to the airport and plan to stay overnight in a close to the airport hotel (hopefully you will find on with an appropriate bed) that offers a wheelchair accessible shuttle to the airport the next day. The van rental company will probably pick up the van at the airport rather than the Union Square hotel without extra charge, but you will have to find that out.

In San Francisco, wheelchair accessible taxis may not be particularly reliable and they are very expensive (all taxi service is very expensive). If you do procure a taxi, try to strike a sightseeing fare with the driver and plan your sightseeing accordingly. If you use a taxi to, lets say, drop you off in Golden Gate Park to go to the Academy of Science, either make a deal with that driver to pick you up at a specific time, and still have a fall back plan for getting back to Union Square, if the taxi driver stands you up or you can't get one to pick you up with a call to the cab company. Have your phone or tablet loaded with bus, muni, and BART timetables.

A taxi from SFO to Union Square is going to cost roughly $50-$75.00 plus tip. If you take BART to the Powell Street Station from the airport, get up on the street from the concourse in the elevator, have your companion hail a cab and ride to the hotel with your luggage, you can make your way on wheels to the Grand Hyatt on Union Square and meet her there for a lot less money. Just a thought. NL and I have done this in several cities. Once in Bergen, Norway, we arrived by train from Oslo, called the hotel, who sent out a hotel shuttle (not accessible). They collected our luggage and took it to hold at the hotel. Meanwhile, we had a nice stroll from the train station to the hotel in downtown Bergen.

All the best,
    ​GJ

Your feedback has been great, I really appreciate it. I had been looking into BART to get from airport to hotel, but my only concern was the amount of luggage we might have (she is not a light packer). I was considering packaging up my medical supplies, and sending them directly to the hotel via UPS, to save space. Not sure if this is feasible though.

Norway...wow!

My only fear is damage to my chair. In the past, I've removed the footrests, armrests, controller, and packed them in a bag. But my last flight my chair was damaged, though still operable. I dread landing in an unfamiliar city, only to find my chair won't work.

Sending supplies ahead is a good idea. Call the hotel and discuss particulars with a manager or concierge. Try to send things early enough that you can check with the hotel that the packages have arrived and are being held for your arrival. Get names of people with whom you speak, dates and times.

I hear you regarding your chair. To me damage to/ loss of the chair are my greatest worries when traveling.

All the best,
    GJ

Found an old San Francisco thread with the updated link.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/vb5/forum/sci...-san-francisco

Regarding getting a regular cab in San Francisco after you arrive on BART to take your companion and luggage to the hotel on Union Square. Have the names and phone numbers of a couple of cab companies loaded on your phone or tablet. Call to order a cab when you arrive at SFO. Tell the cab company your arrival time at the station you get off of BART. Hailing a cab on the street, except at hotels can be iffy.

All the best,
    GJ

Thanks for the link. Ever eaten at The Boulevard?

We haven't tried Boulevard, but anything Nancy Oakes does has been fabulous in our experience. Have loved Prospect on Spear St.

All the best,
    GJ

Hi, what is the difference between BART and the muni light rail?