Thread: Sled Hockey - has anyone tried it?

Sled Hockey - has anyone tried it?

The captain of my wheelchair basketball team invited me to come and try out sled hockey. Has anyone played before and if so what to expect?

I played it regularly for 2 1/2 years until I became a quad instead of a para. I'm trying to get back into it because I didn't like rugby. I played hockey in high school and college so for me the chance to skate again was amazing! It can be fast paced & hard hitting, but can also be nice to go to open skate. Wheeliecoach plays wheelchair basketball and sled hockey. Maybe she'll chime in with her thoughts.

Been playing sledge hockey (as it's called everywhere else in the world except the US) for 3 going on 4 years now. Try it you'll love it. Depending on your level of function you may find it difficult with balance at first but you just have to keep adjusting the blade width until you find the right spot. I was falling all over the place at first and still do but it's fun and an awesome workout. Get out there and try it.

I tried out sled hockey this past weekend at a clinic for the team. I absolutely love it.

I do play both wheelchair basketball and sled hockey. I actually play for the US Women's Team as well as my home team (the women's team is actually where sledgrl and I first met). It is a lot of work...but a ton of fun as well! Once you get a hang of your balance on the skate blades, you will be fine. The difficulty for me lies in the fact that I play 2 sports who share the same season, so when there is conflict, I have to choose one...which proves difficult.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am glad you enjoyed your first time out in the sled. It only gets better from there!

No Title

A few photos from my sled hockey practice today.