Thread: Would you get more rods put in?

Would you get more rods put in?

I was injured in a motorcycle accident two years ago and damaged my spine. I am a paraplegic, t4 complete. They installed rods and fused my vertebrae from T3-T8. I am active and working but am gradually getting more kyphotic and have chronic pain from between my shoulder blades half way down my back, and shooting pains in the chest they say is from damaged nerve endings. I went to see a surgeon about having my rods out, thinking it would help the pain and kyphosis, but two separate surgeons have advised that I need the opposite. Since my rods end in the middle of the kyphotic curve, my upper body is putting a tremendous pressure on the joint between T8 and T9. In-fact I now have a compression fracture in T8 that may have resulted from this, and this vertebrae is no longer supporting a vertical stacking. It is pushing out in back, and i have had one pressure sore there already. Ontop of all of this some of the original screws were not placed correctly. Cant win sometimes!!

I have seen a neuro surgeon and an orthopedic surgeon. The Neurosurgeon recommends that I additionally fuse T9 and T10 in addition to repairing the fracture at T8 and the misplaced screws, and the orthopedic surgeon thinks that this is not enough. He recommends that I fuse T9-T12 and attach this to the existing rods so I would effectively be fused from T3-T12. Otherwise, he says I am just going to have trouble between T10 and T11 in a few years.

The orthopedic surgeon had good reasons and logic for his recommendations and I think has better insight on how to help me. Any feedback from Dr's in this forum or patients that have been where I am? The doctors don't think I will lose much Range of Motion, but I would appreciate comments on that too. Thank you, madnance

You may want to get another opinion, but I am going to ask Dr. Young to respond to your question when he has time.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    I can't wait to hear what Doc Young has to say! I was injured in the same way and my neurosurgeon, (Dr. David Waters from Eastern VA Medical School. FWIW, I was flown all the way there on account of his reputation for this kind of thing.), told me he prefers to go 3 up and 3 down with his fusions, for my level and injury type. My L1 was dislocated away from my body and mangled the cord and bone structures badly between L1 and T12. My fusion is from L3 to T10. Seems to be doing its job very well. No complications but it does take concerted effort to maintain my ab and back muscles around that area. Assuming the fixation is holding me up and the muscles just don't work very hard. Good luck! -Odd

Well i did get the rods extended two mire vertebrae. They were t3-8 and are now T3-10. Definitely improved my posture. And i can reach forward without having my upper bode fall forward like it was on a hinge between t8-9. But surgery is hard and after three weeks i am still low on energy and cant get the plumbing wirking right.