Thread: home remedies for infections?

home remedies for infections?

Infections around the SP tube and the G tube are becoming more frequent. I'm fearing my immune system is weakening because of antibiotics. Does anyone have any home remedies for redness /swelling/occasional pus around tubes? I wish I knew how great grandma healed infections.

"Great grandmother" died from a lot of infections and sepsis pre-antibiotics. Happened to my mother's sister in 1932 at age 18. Suggest you not try to cure actual infections with home remedies. Sepsis is still the leading cause of death long-term in SCI.

Good care of the stoma site (securing the tubing, cleaning with soap and water, changing any dressing at least daily, etc.) will go a long way toward prevention of stoma infections.

(KLD)

She sure did die from sepsis.

this is why we live so long now. Antibiotics.

we don't naturally have suprapubics and GI tube holes drilled into our bodies, so Id go with the reliable and most likely to live from treatments.

Im into plants and natural remedies. I like them a lot, but if you have an infection go to the Dr and have that swabbed and cultured so they know what to give you.
    It could be fungal and bacteria from moisture and the seasonal heat, so its better to make sure you're getting the right thing for it.

you can get your immune system or immune response checked if you are worried about your immune system.

just don't not finish your antibiotics, take all of them.

then you need to eat natural probiotics like yogurt or some kind of cultured dairy product so you get another kind of immune boost and new gut flora.

just a tiny bit of history, first death from the Donner party, guy died from an infected finger.
    My dad smashed his toe, and had no idea the red line going up his leg was blood poisoning. grandma knew though. Its what killed great grandma, and uncle juno, the little neighbor girl who burned her thumb.... Its what killed sci patients first, lack of antibiotics. man's most important discovery I think.

I think antibiotics are actually an organism. a live thing. they are natural, but we have synthesized some of them. I think we grow some of them still. we used to anyway.

it is one organism eating another organism. or one organism causing another organism to die. we have to use them carefully though like you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary-Jane View Post
    Infections around the SP tube and the G tube are becoming more frequent. I'm fearing my immune system is weakening because of antibiotics. Does anyone have any home remedies for redness /swelling/occasional pus around tubes? I wish I knew how great grandma healed infections.
    Microcyn, Vetericyn, Puracyn, or Dermacyn in either liquid or gel form may be helpful in healing these skins wounds and sores without antibiotics.
    See: http://www.puracyn.com/about/about_m...d_cleanser.php

All the best,
    GJ

You might also ask your dr about using bactriban cream around the stoma after cleaning the wound sites. It kills many bacteria and is a topical type of antibiotic cream, better than Neosporin. Unfortunately for me I became resistant to it after a while, but it does work well.
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009