Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do auto repair shops try and screw the disabled? You betcha'!

First call Midas corporation. These places are franchises and the corporate office, ain't happy about bad PR. Did you charge this on a credit card? Call the card company and file a disagreement. Then find a local mechanic. The guy that owns the shop and does the work. Not a chain, or dealer. Neither pay there people squat. Take the car there for oil changes and routine stuff. Build a relationship with -that guy. Pick the car up at closing and bring pizza and beer. Report the Midas dealer to Angies list and let the dealer know you are doing it. And if your a prick lick me, get a hunk of card board. Make a sign and picket the joint. I put, This place cheated me, stop and ask how.
    I was a mechanic and never cheated anyone! The guy that taught me told me a good honest mechanic will always have a job and make a good living. I've passed this lesson down to my students and they have come back and thanked me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    The owner tells me it was down a half pound of freon.
    Does your car actually use Freon as a refrigerant? What year is your Altima?

All AC units use freon there's just several different type's. R 12 is no longer used since 1995 because of the problems with ozone getting deteriorated. It's now extremely expensive your AC work on cars before 1995. Since 1996 cars have been using R-134 Freon which is much more friendly to the environment and much cheaper. It's also really easy to charge your AC. You can even buy I can a Freon with the attachment on it. The pressure showing up is right around with the temperature will be blowing out of the vents. Moisture in the system is really bad for it so if the system has been opened or has not been working for a long period of time they put it under vacuum for 15 – 20 min. to boil off the water. At the dealerships we were not allowed to let a car just get refilled. If the system is low, there's a leak somewhere. At the time, 2000, that meant there was a leak and it had to be repaired. Most of the time it was the front seal on the compressor which is really easy to diagnose. If there's moisture on the front of the compressor, it's leaking there. Shops go by the book times. A book says it takes so long to do something. so we would go by that I worked at the dealership so most of what I did was waranty. A lot of times customers didn't understand book times even thoughsometimes we would lose our ass on that. But just imagine if there were book times. Someone could just sit on the car and do nothing to it. That's why we spend so much money on tools because a lot of them give us shortcuts to get things done. I would do the best I could to flag as many hours a day as I could, sometimes flagging 20 hours in a day at $17 an hour. Those were the days. Oh well, maybe again in my next life
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Anyone remember those R12 can powered BB guns? An environmentalist's nightmare, lol. I think I remember those R12 cans going for like $1.50 on sale at the autoparts stores...those were the days

Hi Wheelieboy,

I've been seeing commercials on TV about a product called AC Pro. The whole kit, including the refrigerant, only costs about $35 and is easy to do. If you have a friend who can hammer a nail or turn a wrench they can do it for you.

Here's the website with complete video instructions. It's what I would do instead of having some jerk of a "mechanic" under the hood of my car with either ineptness as their trademark or money-grubbin' sabotage in their mind.

http://acprocold.com/

It's sold online and at many of the common brick and mortar stores... Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Pep Boys, etc.

Good luck,

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    Hi Wheelieboy,

I've been seeing commercials on TV about a product called AC Pro. The whole kit, including the refrigerant, only costs about $35 and is easy to do. If you have a friend who can hammer a nail or turn a wrench they can do it for you.

Here's the website with complete video instructions. It's what I would do instead of having some jerk of a "mechanic" under the hood of my car with either ineptness as their trademark or money-grubbin' sabotage in their mind.

http://acprocold.com/

It's sold online and at many of the common brick and mortar stores... Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Pep Boys, etc.

Good luck,

Bob.
    Thanks Bob and at least now I know something else. My AC hasn't had a problem in 8 years, but I figured I'd "freshen" it up this past weekend. I surely learned my lesson from this and will definitely "do it in the driveway" moving forward. I wonder how many people have gotten taken by these guys running that same scam over time? Probably quite a few.

I wouldn't blame the treatment you got at this Midas Muffler shop on your disability/using a wheelchair. Scams are scams and anyone is fair game.

That said, if I were you, I would post your experience on Yelp, Angie's List, any local "experience" website in your area, Better Business Bureau, Diamond Certified, your local city business license office, Auto Clubs, etc. Personally, I think your experience, with out calling on the disability card, would be useful to others.

All the best,
    GJ

I've got one I trust. I've been screwed over many times over the years though!

Almost was in a car fire as someone left a garage cloth under the hood of my car ... a shining sea of firemen on a red truck with white teeth and bulging tan muscles showed up to save the day! (I should do that more often ... lol).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12