Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bounder off road or pride rival?

The Bounder would be my dream chair. Outdoors...it is chain driven, high torque and good speed. It can be used indoors as well as outdoors.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    The Bounder will work well and last a long time. The rival will be broken often and cost a fortune to keep repairing.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Did you decide which one was better? I'm making a choice along the same lines. Five yrs ago, I tested a Bounder, among other chairs, and went w/ the Quantum R4400. I really liked the Bounder's speed, but, I hate to say, it was crude. Very tough and well built, but in a Soviet tank kinda' way. I'm hoping it has had 5 yrs developing, polishing & modernizing. Unfortunately from what I see on the website and what my friendly w/c mechanic says, that hasn't happened. If anyone knows different, please say so.

Oh yeah, except for the damn flimsy articulating PWR legrests, my Quantum has been trustworthy for over 2K miles.
    Robert

live free, drive fast

I have been lucky enough to have had 2 bounderplus chairs over the last 22 years. I am working on number 3 which will be off road H frame. I am poor as dirt and fight my insurance to the bitter end. But in the end it helps to know someone with influence. All of us here are physically screwed so we should not get screwed by insurance. I hate to say it but you need to know someone.
    btw I never had to take a bounder to a repair shop. Brothers changed bearings belts and batteries. Yes I bought the batteries myself. Once I had them changed by a company on the insurance's network. $1500 they charged. I got the same batteries from a Lakeland battery wholesaler. Figure they see the bounder pays off in the long run. d

Hey rollin',

Have the Bounder electronics improved any? My fine motor skills are poor and I need really adaptable joystick controls & graduated braking to drive smoothly.
    Do you prefer the chain drive or the belt?
    Robert

live free, drive fast

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    The belt can break easier than the chain. A very thin stick got caught inside my drive belt when I was raking leaves and broke, sending me flying down a steep hill with no brakes. Could have easily been killed.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I am a c5 with minimal wrist movement in my left hand. I had my first bounder set so it would coast about 7-8 seconds before the brakes clicked on. 2nd has a short pause before the brakes click. I have the standard bounderplus because my grandmother lived about a mile away and it took little time getting to her house by going down 1/4 mile dirt road to hardroad or strait through the woods using my old dunebuggy motorcycle trail. Grand mother died in a car accident so next bounder will be more off road type. As for the electronics getting better I don't think it would matter as I would run into, over, or through it. d

20 years in a bounderplus. never had a belt break. Had them flip over from a stick or moss getting in them. d

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rollin' man View Post
    As for the electronics getting better I don't think it would matter as I would run into, over, or through it. d

I like that sentiment, & have enough scratches on door frames, cracked chair legs, and bent leg rests to prove it. I'd really rather not tho & need as smooth power take-off and braking to counter my jerky tendencies. The Bounder I tested 6 yrs ago - and it was a rough demo unit - coasted for however many seconds programmed but then the brakes would grab. My Quantum's brakes feel much more gradual. Also it doesn't have relays clicking for every joystick movement like that demo did. And my E&J did 25 yrs ago.

Have you tested a new Bounder like what you're getting? Have you noticed any diff on braking or clicking?
    Last edited by rahwheels; 05-31-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Robert

live free, drive fast