Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suprapubic and leaking

Suprapubic and leaking

So I've had my SP for 2 weeks for the first 2 days I wore sweats, since then I've put on levis with no problems. Until 2 days ago I notice wasn't draining much by late afternoon I was soaking wet it was all coming through my penis. The same thing happened that nigh while in bed and again yesterday sitting in my chair.

The catheter isn't clogged, we have no problems flushing and last night everything drained like normal through the catheter. I'm wearing sweats today to see how it drains while sitting up. I like to wear a leg bag while in my chair. What do most of you use while up in your chair leg or night bag?

This is all very frustrating even more so since I'm leaving on vacation Tuesday and don't want to end up wet all the time. Any advice on the best way too secure the catheter, I'm currently using a thigh strap.

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Are you taking an anticholinergic for bladder spasms (Oxybutynin or similar drug)?

Are your jeans tight across the thigh? The tubing can be kinked by tight jeans while in the sitting position. You may find the answer today, if you have no trouble while wearing sweat pants.

All the best,
    GJ

I use a Statlock for securing my cath.
    http://www.bardmedical.com/Urologica...lizationDevice

If you don't have access to a Statlock, I use first aid tape that sticks well to skin (straps move too much), here's a quick diagram showing how I do it and how not to. Hopefully it's easy enough to understand, let me know if you have any questions.

Also, you may want to look at this video. It shows how catheters can become obstructed from bladder wall tissue as opposed to clogging from debris.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dB2RnUI64g

Last edited by JoshuaSD; 06-22-2013 at 03:23 PM.

I am taking oxybutynin three times a day and we just had to put me back in bed to change me 'cause I was wet once again even with wearing sweats. We are now running the catheter out the top of my pants and hooking it to a night bag to see if that makes a difference.

Crazy thing is the minute we laid me down to change me my leg bag instantly filled up. Sure hope I get this resolved before I have to leave on our trip Tuesday.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    I am taking oxybutynin three times a day and we just had to put me back in bed to change me 'cause I was wet once again even with wearing sweats. We are now running the catheter out the top of my pants and hooking it to a night bag to see if that makes a difference.

Crazy thing is the minute we laid me down to change me my leg bag instantly filled up. Sure hope I get this resolved before I have to leave on our trip Tuesday.
    I am really sorry to hear you are having this problem. Wish I had some answers for you.

Any chance you have a urinary tract infection?

What kind of catheter did the doctor place?

Hope you can get a call to your doctor first thing Monday and that he has some answers for you.

All the best,
    GJ

The same thing happens to me on occasion. All that is happening is your catheter is getting kinked and not allowing it to drain into the bag from your bladder. You said once you lay down in bed the catheter is able to straighten out and let your leg bag fill up instantly. This indicates that your bladder is full but not draining to the leg bag, therefore you just need to make sure the tube is not kinked running from your catheter to the leg bag.
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

Also always make sure the tube of the cath is below the bladder. Putting over the top of your pants could cause it not to drain because it needs that downward flow. Was the catheter looped above your bladder or anything like that?
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post

The other thing that may be happening is that the eyelet (hole) in the tip of the foley is getting stuck to the wall of the bladder and is actually sucking in the wall of the bladder and it may only happen when in the sitting position. I am going to try the Duette by Poiesis Medical www.poiesismedical.com They make a foley with two ballons and the eyelet in the middle so it can not get clogged by sucking in the wall of the bladder. Check out their site and watch their videos. I have been using them before I had the SP done.

Stevie P

StevieP has a good point...the catheter could be buried up against the wall of the bladder, occluding the eyelets and not allowing urine to drain when you are in a seated position. But, when you are lying down, the catheter is freed from the wall of the bladder and it flows freely.

The Duette catheter could be helpful, but you are at least two weeks from your first catheter change after having the suprapubic placement procedure. I doubt that your urologist will try to change the catheter out before 4 weeks, because during this first month, the stoma is healing and creating the passage from the suprapubic site into the bladder.

Any chance you can reschedule your vacation to give you time to work through at least the first month with the suprapubic?

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    StevieP has a good point...the catheter could be buried up against the wall of the bladder, occluding the eyelets and not allowing urine to drain when you are in a seated position. But, when you are lying down, the catheter is freed from the wall of the bladder and it flows freely.

The Duette catheter could be helpful, but you are at least two weeks from your first catheter change after having the suprapubic placement procedure. I doubt that your urologist will try to change the catheter out before 4 weeks, because during this first month, the stoma is healing and creating the passage from the suprapubic site into the bladder.

Any chance you can reschedule your vacation to give you time to work through at least the first month with the suprapubic?

All the best,
    GJ
    The largest Duett is a 18F and a 20F is normal but a 18F is only .66mm smaller than a 20F I think that is really a small difference. The company that makes the Duette is sending me a 18F to take when I have them change my foley for the first time July 5th.

Stevie P