Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Tumble, A Grumble and a Broken Knee

A Tumble, A Grumble and a Broken Knee

I took a stupid fall down a concrete step!

Here's the email I just sent my pt. Please tell me if you have any advice..

Bad news. I fell out of my chair down a concrete step and landed on my knee and dr found a small fracture  (its still in place though) She just put an ace bandage on it and told me to not put weight on it and try not to use my quad. I have a message in with the orthopedist, but they are closed now and I didn’t hear back so I have to wait til Mon to even talk about making an appt.

Now that I’m home I have so many questions about how I should limit my movements and its really hard to dress, pull my pants up, shoes on/off without bending my knee a lot. I also worry about my transfers and wonder if I’m putting weight on it. I know I can ask for a pt consult for this, but not until after Monday. Sorry to bug you, but just thought I’d try You and see if you have any advice. I know my next step would be going urgent care, but I’m not very expectant that a reg. dr will tell me anything new.

It is likely that with a fracture like this that the treatment would be immobilization with a knee immobilizer soft splint as the preferred treatment in SCI (not with a cast). You need to NOT be bending it right now.

You may have to arrange family help/temporary PCA to help you with things like dressing that you cannot do without bending your knee or putting weight on it. This may need to include getting a lift for transfers (you can rent if not purchase). I would agree that you don't need to go to the ED if you were unable to get into see an orthopedist today, and if they can get you in Monday for a more definite splint, but you must stay off it and avoid bending or the fracture could get worse and become displaced. Displaced patella fractures sometimes require surgery to repair.

(KLD)

Thank you. I am NOT happy with that restriction and will do my best, but UGH!

A Tumble, A Grumble and a Broken Knee

Here's my story as I wrote it on my blog today. I got some good advice from the sci nurse in a previous post today, but any other suggestions are sure welcome

http://laughwithmecrywithme.com/a-tu...a-broken-knee/

Crap that was a bad day. So how do you go about fixing a broken knee, do you hold that leg strait with a brace or cast? If so and you have a pretty solid system, maybe with some help you could get on hand cycle or get a chair with the leg support, that way you could at least do something.
    Best of luck
    David
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

falling sucks. sorry you broke your kneecap. I hope it heals up fast.

thanks. You guys just get it. Crazy thing is that I was feeling so capable earlier, getting on the floor and helping her paint their baseboards and going up and down their carpeted basement stairs on my butt, then getting back into my chair by myself.... then "Good-bye!" "Thanks!" Boom!

I fell at the walmart today. hurt my ass and lumbar.
    I can't sleep its too painful. I didn't know it but I think I hurt my neck too. I feel like I have an after spinal tap headache. someone knock me out with darlagee's kneecaps.

I don't have any suggestions. All I can say is sorry and I also hope it heals quickly. That's a really nice blog you have!
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

I was standing and fell one day and broke my left kneecap. I went to the ER and had surgery the next day and had to wear a leg immobilizer. I had a scooter I was using at the time so I just hooked a bungee cord to my tiller and held my leg out straight. When I got to work, I put my foot on a cardboard box. Dressing was kind of sucky but I didn't wear a shoe or sock.

I know this doesn't help you a lot but just knowing some of have been there too lets you know you're not alone.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne