Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: life got more strange today

life got more strange today

The good news is, I don't have breast cancer.
    It is probably calcified scarring on my ribs from when I broke them in my accident.
    .... its been one of those weeks no woman wants to have.

that's big news, but the bigger news is, I have a neurosurgeon to look into my situation.

If only id gone strait home and
    (not) gone to walmart for some watercolor paper after visiting the Dr today.

There I was, "walkin" shuffling, dragging over to the only rollycart, and this big ole cowboy looking man grabbed my arm and said can I help you?!
    I spun toward the pull and hit the tiles hard. holy cow what the hell?

well I pulled myself onto the rollycart, and sat there for a few minutes trying to recover, and the guy starts chatting me up, asking for my phone number.

um.... Im not dating or interested in any relationships. ....are you sure, I give all my girlfriends their own credit cards? The mans girlfriend skips in, and he gets a terrified look and pretends he wasn't just asking my for my phone number and offering me a sugar daddy. when I say girlfriend I mean Girlish enough to be a least a decade younger than me. off they go. what the heck just happened here?

It turns out the rolly cart was dead, so I went to get off it, and was aware I could not lift my bettear leg very well. I shuffledragged to a shopping cart, and got my paper, and by the time I got to the checkout, I was becoming aware of extreme pain.

I become aware, of the fact, that I aint "walking" any further. down I go slowly. causing a scene at the walmart. not as bad as the time the lady knocked me backwards in my wheelchair and rattled my head, but pretty much a effing scene. called roomie out of work and went to the ER.

I called walmart later, and asked if they could look at their camera's. It happened so fast, Im not really sure what happened, so could they look? They were very nice about my request, and are looking to see if there is any video. there is a camera there. right over us.

My walking is not good, and my balance is worse. He grabbed my stronger side, and the weaker side followed and spun me onto the floor. I had only one brace on, so maybe the other ankle buckled.

after I fell, I was in so much pain I forgot the stuff I just payed for. The pain in my heels, and the bottom of my feet got incredible, while a blinding pain shot down my butt and out my belly.

a police officer standing at the end of the checkout asked me if I was ok. I told him I didn't think I was, told him what had happened, and asked if my vehicle could stay in the parking lot. ... a lot of people stopped and asked if I was ok while I was waiting for my roomie to come take me to the ER. The policeman wanted to call an ambulance over. they were there for a fender bender, and going my way empty, but I didn't want to do that if I could get a ride. what if someone really needs an ambulance, and I was keeping it busy? no ambulance! so anyway, I didn't file any kind of report, but Im probably part of the officers report anyway. and the ambulance guys.

what if that old guy was moving in on me for less than helpful reasons? do you think he should be liable? I don't have to pay for an ambulance ride, but my ER visit bill will be painful, im sure. If I had fainted, Id totally be paying for an ambulance ride, Im so glad it passed without me passing out.

Do you think if It appears the man was zeroing in on me to hit on me, rather than just being clumsy helpful, that he should be made aware of an err on his part? , or should I just let it go and be glad Im finally heading to a neurosurgeon?

......how was your day? any silly things happen to you today? Gaw!
    Last edited by jody; 06-21-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: terrible typing.

he is liable. seriously this is why ABs need to learn NOT TO DO THAT SHIT. what did the er say? how is your pain now?
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

He shouldn't have grabbed you ... surprised the officer didn't arrest him for assault ... get that report in and I hope there's video footage!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Jody, I'm so sorry. I agree with crypticgimp and lynnifer, the guy is definitely liable and lynnifer is right, you'd think the officer would have arrested him for assault on the spot. Your news from the doctor's appointment was so heartening, and then for that to happen! Grrrrr. It's a good thing that the police were there and know what happened, even though they didn't follow up as I wish they had. I hope Wal-Mart has video of the incident - good thing you thought to ask!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Im loaded up with prednisone, oxy fentanyl, and anaprox. If I don't try to stand or move, I can deal with it for a few days.

the MRI shows the same dissection of L5s1, but nothing new hitting the spinal cord. lots of bulging discs inside and out, but the inside one is the same as a year ago. It looks like I bulged out the side with the good leg so it matches the side with the bad leg.

there is visible swelling across my tramp stamp. The ER doctor said since I didn't pee myself, and my spinal cord is the same as the last MRI, I can fallow up with the neurosurgeon. He also said a person only has cauda equina at the acute stage after injury. I thought it was the location of injury, and the pattern of neurological pain as well as the bladder thing, and the bilateral foot drop. I thought that is what cauda equine syndrome was. A mix of things specific to that area of injury. that is how it was explained when I was told why I had the broken glass stabbing burning butt thing.
    he said a person with a 14 year old injury is just complete or incomplete sci. I said oh, ok thank you.

-there should be plenty of video, it was the center entrance. this store has three large entrances.

surprisingly there were no people except at the moment I fell.

It must have hurt worse than this the first time. The real pain seems to cover over the nerve pain. I thought the nerve pain was super bad, but real pain is real indeed.

At least I didn't break open my pressure sore elbow. Its looking like its healing.

this is probably nothing, but iv had weak reflex in my ankles, and super reflex in my knee's. the right leg, the good one has a ankle reflex, the left, the weaker one that I kind of drag, had no reflex today, but did have a weak reflex with my last neuro exam.

...too painful to lay any which way. Im propped and stuffed with couch cushions so nothing pulls, or leans squishes or touches it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Jody, I'm so sorry. I agree with crypticgimp and lynnifer, the guy is definitely liable and lynnifer is right, you'd think the officer would have arrested him for assault on the spot. Your news from the doctor's appointment was so heartening, and then for that to happen! Grrrrr. It's a good thing that the police were there and know what happened, even though they didn't follow up as I wish they had. I hope Wal-Mart has video of the incident - good thing you thought to ask!
    I should have went right home with my good news. my goal now is to get this stupid laminectomy and start cutting down the pain meds until they are part of the past. Maybe Ill get a new bra for my breasts, since they get to hang around being breasts.

the guy was not Able bodied. He was using two canes, big man, in his 70's.

I don't really want to press any charges or anything, Im curious to see any video though. I don't remember how he managed to be next to me. or if he thought I looked like I was going to fall anyway. It was strange and I fell so fast im not really sure, but I should know tomorrow. I know I look awful when I try to walk. people gawk, so I know I look precarious.

Let me say how sorry I am that this happened to you. It is amazing how quickly a simple everyday activity can go south.

If this guy had merely reached out and grabbed you and left it at that, I would be inclined to think he was trying to help you, but the fact that he came over and harassed you for personal information (wtf?!) suggests ulterior motives all along. This guy sounds like a real creep. I mean, not only is he two-timing his girlfriend, but he thinks it is a good idea to press you for your phone number after he caused a horrible slip and fall? What a gem!

I hope you recover really quickly from this needless incident, and I'm glad to hear you are clear of breast cancer!
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

ya, that is why I wonder where he came from. he just seemed like a nice gimpy old man. Im sure he didn't make me fall intentionally, but he maybe could be made aware that It is going to be a costly accident.

apparently my neck is bothered too. I didn't feel any pain in my neck, but it really hurts to turn or look down now. I cant get off the toilet by myself. Im wondering If I should get a foley for a couple days. this sucks.

A lot of times that happens when you take a bad fall. Initially you might think you are okay or only hurt one thing and then over the next couple of days you realize more areas are hurting.

I fell down a full flight of stairs in 2007 and then thought I was fine except for a horrendous bruise on my lumbar area. Turns out I caused some problems when my neck hit each of the steps on the way down. I have bulging disks in my c-spine, and since then get intermittent pain that radiates into my shoulder blade, down my right arm and into my finger tips. Since then I'm paranoid about falling even though I barely walk.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the catheter as I have no experience with that, but if your neck is really hurting maybe you should wear a soft immobilizing collar for a couple of days. Some drug stores like Walgreens carry them, if you can make it out of the house or can have a friend grab one.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General