Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disabled workers paid just pennies an hour – and it's legal

Certainly - did anyone else notice that Rock Center also opened the piece with how much change they've been able to bring around due to their exposure of some situations?

I wonder if this is the same in Canada ... I can't see it as we have impeccable employment laws ... I'll have to look into it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I thought it was interesting that during the real estate bust and Great Recession Goodwill was able to buy and upgrade many distressed buildings in my area of the Country. No one else was able to do that. Even the huge retailers stopped developing.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

This is my brother John's sense of humour (he's the eldest at 54 and the one I started speaking to again, after twenty year of silence). Needless to say, humour and sarcasm run a strong gene in our family:

Me: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/r...88381481237582

The numbers in that article make me realize it's worse than I thought ... and these are tax payer funds! Disgusting!!! Finally it's coming to light!!!

Him:

instead of being angry and vengeful you should embrace his example and make me the CEO at millions per year

Me:

LOL - did you happen to see the story on Goodwill in America on Rock Centre Friday night? The CEO is blind and made $500,000 last year while 'the unemployable' (severely disabled physically and mentally) earned less than a dollar per hour.

#RiseUp #CivilRevolutionbytheMostVulnerable #WeNeverForget

Him:

I change the channel to wrestling

Me:

OMG!!!!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by swh2007 View Post
    I thought it was interesting that during the real estate bust and Great Recession Goodwill was able to buy and upgrade many distressed buildings in my area of the Country. No one else was able to do that. Even the huge retailers stopped developing.
    I imagine their customer base has grown significantly since 2008 so this makes sense. They better up executive pay to keep this managerial talent from moving on to more profitable gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Thanks for posting that Scott ... I still think what they're doing it way wrong when the organization is so top-heavy salary-wise.

What they posted is how anyone feels when working - let alone the disabled or vulnerable.
    You bet. Last paragraph of Goodwill's response:
    Anyone who has ever enjoyed the satisfaction of earning a promotion at work or even just hearing the boss say, “Thanks for a job well done,” understands the fundamental value of work. Goodwill is among the largest employers of people with disabilities in the United States, and we are proud to help people like Michael and Christopher earn the dignity and sense of accomplishment that comes from work.
    Our community has a lot of programs who find jobs for "special" people. I have never had one of them act unhappy to help me, take out my packages, or wash my car. I used to be ticked that nonprofit organizations made good money off of placing "special" people into jobs that paid low wages. (I'm sure the businesses who hire them get major tax 'atta boys' on top of it all.)

Most of them are probably better workers than ABs. I'll bet they are more dedicated workers, also.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Anyone who has ever enjoyed the satisfaction of earning a promotion at work or even just hearing the boss say, “Thanks for a job well done,” understands the fundamental value of work. Goodwill is among the largest employers of people with disabilities in the United States, and we are proud to help people like Michael and Christopher earn the dignity and sense of accomplishment that comes from work...
    "...and they should be happy with the slave wages that we're within our legal rights to dole out instead of even paying minimum wage. They should be happy with a pat on the head and hearing 'Thanks for a job well done'."

Goodwill's closing paragraph is so condescending, I had to add the last part, that the must've accidentally omitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    "...and they should be happy with the slave wages that we're within our legal rights to dole out instead of even paying minimum wage. They should be happy with a pat on the head and hearing 'Thanks for a job well done'."

Goodwill's closing paragraph is so condescending, I had to add the last part, that the must've accidentally omitted.
    I felt the same as you, Rus, until I interacted with some of the "special" employees. And, although I still feel disgusted by the organizations and tax incentives given to employers who hire the handicapped, it's not about the money to the employees. They love their jobs and the independence they earn by being productive citizens.

- Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by flicka View Post
    I felt the same as you, Rus, until I interacted with some of the "special" employees. And, although I still feel disgusted by the organizations and tax incentives given to employers who hire the handicapped, it's not about the money to the employees. They love their jobs and the independence they earn by being productive citizens.
    But because they're just happy with the jobs and it's not about the money for them, that makes the exploitation all the more deplorable, wouldn't you say? It's as if the employers (Good Will, etc) are saying, "They don't know any better, they're just happy with an 'Atta boy', so we'll just pay them pennies."

Years before my accident, in high school, I was a "bag boy" at a grocery store (Publix! ) and one of our bag boys, or Front Service Personel as Publix called us, was mentally disabled. He was a harder worker than most of the other guys and super nice. And Publix paid him at least minimum wage.

There's just no excuse for not paying the mentally disabled at least minimum wage. The laws need to change.

But because they're just happy with the jobs and it's not about the money for them, that makes the exploitation all the more deplorable, wouldn't you say? It's as if the employers (Good Will, etc) are saying, "They don't know any better, they're just happy with an 'Atta boy', so we'll just pay them pennies."

Years before my accident, in high school, I was a "bag boy" at a grocery store (Publix! ) and one of our bag boys, or Front Service Personel as Publix called us, was mentally disabled. He was a harder worker than most of the other guys and super nice. And Publix paid him at least minimum wage.

There's just no excuse for not paying the mentally disabled at least minimum wage. The laws need to change.
    exactly. i hate the "but they are happy" if they are happy, great, but still deserve regular pay.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Yes. It's disgusting
    Good for Publix! Those type of jobs are mainly where "special" people are placed nowadays(bagging, carts, cleaning tables etc.). The employers and job placement businesses are considered altruistic and they want to ride that bandwagon.

Even sicker than these people being paid pennies are the ones who are unable to work without an AB coach. The coach stays/helps the employee until they are considered able to do the work independently, or unable to work the job. I'll bet the AB coach makes at least minimum wage. I agree with you that they should be paid minumum wage. I doubt the employers would be as altruistic if that was the case.
    Last edited by flicka; 06-23-2013 at 09:16 PM.

- Barack Obama