Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disabled workers paid just pennies an hour – and it's legal

I saw it on Rock Center with Brian Williams last night. I'm totally disgusted ... let's hope now that it's hit prime time that the situation will be corrected.

This isn't the early 1900's anymore ... people deserve equal treatment. 2013 for Chris'sakes.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Goodwill is playing by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    This is how this system should work ideally but in the real world it is often abused. People are often paid based on a percentage of minimum wage rather than a percentage of the prevailing, industrial wage. In many cases the disabled worker is not given the correct equipment or the workstation is not setup as efficiently as it was when the AB set the standard. People are often never retimed to see if their production speed has actually increased.

People whose skills are this good however should be moved from sheltered status to regular employees at the facility.

Unfortunately, this system is often abused, people who should be outplaced are retained forever, their improved production skills are never recognized, etc.
    Yup. The rules need to change.

I imagine Goodwill is paying these people what they think they are worth. I wonder what these folks annual reviews are like. "Hey little Skippy you did great this year, so I'm giving you a 10% raise and your pay will go up from $0.20/hour to $0.22/hour. Good job!"

Goodwill is BIG business!
    Last edited by Patton57; 06-22-2013 at 02:03 PM.

The CEO is blind and 'earned' $500,000 last year, according to the report done by Rock Center.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

I worked at goodwill for minimum wage. I quit because I was upset at the way the managers divided up the really good stuff and took it home. That would not happen at a goodwill as large as the one in the video. The best most faithful worker who retired just before I moved, (still shopped around there after I left) probably made a lesser wage, because she was in a program of some kind. this offends me. not a lot offends me. That lady was the most honest one there. she probably should have been running the place.

I hope Lansdale pa goodwill has changed things, if not, Its all crap there, while the good shit goes out the back door. People donate because it is supposed to help people who need it. At least that is why I donated my car. (went to a deserving person) It was still a good car, but I made sure I researched where my donation went. through the church/shelter part. You can help specific people.

This was before both my house fires.

a lady who ran a private consignment shop, clothed us and if I went into her store today she would still about be a bff.
    Salvation Army and the red cross put us up for a few days. fed us, and gave us a cash clothing and food voucher. these places are really important to displaced families, people coming out of prison, recovering drug addicts, foster children, disable people, Everyone working there is not paid too. some are volunteers because they aren't even worth the slave wage. Its is a really important organization, but it is old and maybe could use some Oiling and shining up. I don't know what I would have done without them though. I didn't even go to them. The lady who was probably paid less than her coworkers made it known I was in need. she was very valuable to the place, and should have been paid fairly if she wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    A big business protecting their goodwill

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Thanks for posting that Scott ... I still think what they're doing it way wrong when the organization is so top-heavy salary-wise.

What they posted is how anyone feels when working - let alone the disabled or vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Thanks for posting that Scott ... I still think what they're doing it way wrong when the organization is so top-heavy salary-wise.

What they posted is how anyone feels when working - let alone the disabled or vulnerable.
    The underlying message: "It doesn't matter what we pay them because we're giving them opportunity that others don't."

It speaks to a larger social problem.

anyone notice there are no more greeters at walmart? At least none in south Carolina.
    they were actually important. If there had been one yesterday, maybe that guy would not have been creeping around. the greeter would have been a presence not desired by a person up to no good. does walmart do the same sort of thing as far as pay and the disabled. I did checkout, an made seven bucks and hour. there were many disabled workers in the store I frequented. I could not keep up do to my physical probs. It was the only place who hired me after my accident, and before ssi/ssd