Thread: TED hose

TED hose

Needing a pair for a flight. I know I need them to be thigh high, but do they need to be open toe or not they asked me? I've used them in the past and they did have a little hole in the toe area, but is that considered "open-toe"? I understand how to measure for circumference, but how about length? I think I'll need an xlength.

The pharmacy here wasn't a lot of help. They told me insurance rarely covers these and if they do I have to go through the company they order from to get reimbursed, not the pharmacy. Also they asked about color. I've only seen white ones, but the tan ones were $20 something while the white were around $40! They ordered me a Sm and Med to look at. I may just buy online if I have enough time and know what to get.The doctor doesn't think I need anything special so didn't write a rx or have me measured.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Actually, knee high are preferred, as they are less likely to cause skin problems or bind you behind the knee and actually increase your risk of getting a DVT.

Either open (inspection) toe or foot or closed toe are fine. Open toe lend themselves to some special application techniques (like applying over a plastic grocery bag), but sometimes the seam on them can cause skin problems.

Measure for length in knee-highs by measuring along the skin from the back of the knee to the heel (not including the sole of the foot).

They come in tan, white, navy and black if you shop around a bit. You should be looking for moderate compression at least, in the range of 20-30 mmHg.

Wash by hand in cold water and Woolite and air dry to get the longest life out of these stockings.

(KLD)

I buy from this pace all the time. www.compressionstockings.com I do pay out of pocket. Brand I buy CEP. They actually are defined as running socks. Need to be Hercules to get them for a little while and even harder to get off. Other things though, may be what looking for.

My husband just got some knee high at the VA. He was measured, but not sure how the size was decided. They are black and look like a dress sock.
    Is there a healthcare accessories store in your area? I've seen people being measured for TED hose there before.
    His blood pressure has been fluctuating greatly and they wanted him to try them.
    The trouble is his feet do not normally swell and have been very swollen on the days he wears them.
    Does anyone have this experience?
    (sorry to butt in November, been meaning to ask this)

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Needing a pair for a flight. I know I need them to be thigh high, but do they need to be open toe or not they asked me? I've used them in the past and they did have a little hole in the toe area, but is that considered "open-toe"? I understand how to measure for circumference, but how about length? I think I'll need an xlength.

The pharmacy here wasn't a lot of help. They told me insurance rarely covers these and if they do I have to go through the company they order from to get reimbursed, not the pharmacy. Also they asked about color. I've only seen white ones, but the tan ones were $20 something while the white were around $40! They ordered me a Sm and Med to look at. I may just buy online if I have enough time and know what to get.The doctor doesn't think I need anything special so didn't write a rx or have me measured.
    I got mine from Travelsmith.

http://www.travelsmith.com/compressi...=&listIndex=29

But they are not the 20-30 that SCI nurse recommends. You can get them off Amazon maybe cheaper. They even have socks now if being cold in a plane is an issue. I always got the medium because my legs are small around the calves.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown