Thread: Gallbladder surgery

Gallbladder surgery

Im in the hospital scheduled for gallbladder surgery tomorrow after never-before-felt, extreme pain that sent my pulse to 160 for quite awhile, more normal now after medicine. What should I expect? L1 complete, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Tjcpara View Post
    Im in the hospital scheduled for gallbladder surgery tomorrow after never-before-felt, extreme pain that sent my pulse to 160 for quite awhile, more normal now after medicine. What should I expect? L1 complete, 1993
    Just had the operation two weeks ago...the scope version. It was a piece of cake. Really. Only bad day was the second. Do be prepared to feel bloated for a week or so.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Yes, if you can have it done with laparoscopic technique, the recovery is brief and usually uneventful. It is often done as outpatient or day surgery. If you must have a traditional open abdominal incision technique, then you are usually hospitalized for 3-5 days.

If you are subject to AD, you should have a plan for management of this during the first few days postop with the surgeon and/or anesthesiologist (with meds). If you have sensation, you may need to take some opioid pain medications for a few days.

It is rare now days that people have to change their diet or have problems after this surgery with diarrhea or other difficult to manage problems. Learn from the nurse how to "splint" any incision with a pillow for coughing and deep breathing, as this can be very sore, and if you avoid coughing and deep breathing post-op you can end up with pneumonia.

(KLD)

What were your symptoms that pointed to it being your gallbladder as the problem ? I have suspected for some time that mine might need to go.
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

Symptoms that may occur with a inflammed gallbladder or with gall stones include:

• Right upper quadrant abdominal cramping type pain (sometimes referred to the right shoulder in people without abdominal sensation).
    • Pain often triggered by eating a fatty/greasy meal.
    • Sometimes nausea and vomiting accompanying the pain above.
    • In people with higher SCI, sometimes AD following a fatty/greasy meal.

In rare cases you may also see bilirubinuria (brown colored urine) and pale clay colored stools.

(KLD)