Thread: Replacment for EZKeys?

Replacment for EZKeys?

Hello, my name is Jim. I am a 45 year old quadriplegic who can’t speak (tetraplegic?). Anyway, whatever you call it, my wife and I have been dealing with this condition ever since I suffered a brainstem stroke in 2006. I’ll try to be brief and concise about the issue I’m facing.

I use a laptop computer, all day and every day, loaded with EZKeys software/hardware. As far as augmentative communication software goes, it is fairly straightforward and simplistic and differs with most of the stuff I’ve seen that has been developed for children and people with cognitive issues, which I don’t need. With my setup I can “speak” to others, control the TV, use email, send and receive text messages, listen to music and audiobooks, stream movies and TV shows, watch DVDs, among other things. Basically, it’s my link to the outside world and I’m pretty much out of commission without it when it comes to occupying my time.

The problem is that the company that created it, Words+, no longer exists as of 2013. This means that I don’t have access to support if the need arises. Everything works fine now but it may not tomorrow or it might last another 5 years. Who knows? I’d like to know what’s out there that can replace my system when that time comes.

Is anyone else in the same boat as me? Are you aware of anything out there that is similar to what I described?

Thank You

Found this:

TO WORDS+ CUSTOMERS:

Effective February 4, 2013, Words+ has ceased operations. Our parent company, Prentke Romich Company (PRC), will continue to provide technical support on Words+ products for existing clients, and will fill orders already being processed.

For information on pending orders, call (800) 268-5224.

For technical support, call (800) 869-8521.

From everyone at Words+, thank you for your business and loyalty through the years. It was our pleasure to serve you.

For more information on PRC, go to www.prentrom.com or call (800) 262-1984.
    http://words-plus.com/
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Not sure how EZKeys works, but I believe eye recognition software is becoming mainstreamed for disabled people. I don't know this as fact, just from reading on the Interwebs.

Good luck and welcome to CC!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!