Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Second grader in wheelchair set apart from classmates in school photo

i was so offended by the bad photography that i didnt see the kid in the chair at first and then was all hoshit, added insult to injury!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    why blame the parents? they had nothing to do with it, they corrected it after the fact when they got the original picture. all the blame should go to the photographer and the teacher who should have realized what the issue was to begin with. it is a great 2nd picture though and he looks so much more comfortable.
    Exactly. The parents had nothing to do with it... but they should have. The parents shouldn't expect other people to know how to handle situations like this with their son. You'd think it would be simple to figure out for most people but it isn't. So the parents of the child with extra needs should make extra sure he is always taken care of properly and his needs are met. The parents get to share some of the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    The second pic is so much better.
    Well... not really. Now they've hidden his wheelchair from the camera. This super cute/cool kid is happy now, as are his parents apparently, and that's cool, but this "solution" actually misses the point and doesn't address the core issue. What about the kids who can't sit on the bench and have to remain in their chairs?

Here's a super-quick Photoshop job showing an easy solution that the teacher and photographer especially should've thought of. Just have the kids all scootch down on the front bench, all the way to the end, have the cool kid get his wheelchair right close to the bench, scootch the second row of kids close to him (easy since they're standing), get the teacher on the other side, re-arrange kids in back, etc. Obviously, it can be done even better than my 2-minute Photoshop job, but I think you can get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Well... not really. Now they've hidden his wheelchair from the camera. This super cute/cool kid is happy now, as are his parents apparently, and that's cool, but this "solution" actually misses the point and doesn't address the core issue. What about the kids who can't sit on the bench and have to remain in their chairs?
    I thought this very thing when I saw the second photo. At its face the second picture looks good, it's livlier and the class looks whole and unified, with nothing and no one standing out, but knowing the kid who uses a wc was placed on the bench being propped up by a caregiver who wouldn't otherwise be in the photo, makes the new photo a poor substitute for the original. It does miss the point.
    Here's a super-quick Photoshop job showing an easy solution that the teacher and photographer especially should've thought of. Just have the kids all scootch down on the front bench, all the way to the end, have the cool kid get his wheelchair right close to the bench, scootch the second row of kids close to him (easy since they're standing), get the teacher on the other side, re-arrange kids in back, etc. Obviously, it can be done even better than my 2-minute Photoshop job, but I think you can get the idea.

There are easily many other arrangements that could have produced a great photo without getting rid of/hiding the chair (eg. scorps edited version above) and putting him in a less stable and more dependent position. Again, well intentioned but what an unnecessary effort to make the kid stand out some more.

exactly, I commented that very thing, but on the article comments.
    nice photo shop there.

and hello chick.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post

Good point. I didn't think of it that way though I was surprised to see him out of his chair [surprised because him using a powerchair in my mind meant his dis could possibly be a bit more severe so balance/core could be unstable making sitting on the bench a challenge]. I meant out of the two pictures, the one where he is more included is the better shot imo [which now I see isn't true]...but there are definitely better options. He shouldn't need to hide his wc and I honestly didn't notice the caregiver lady in the updated pic until chick pointed it out. Your Photoshop version is a simple solution. I wondered in the beginning why everyone didn't just move towards him on the benches.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    I wondered in the beginning why everyone didn't just move towards him on the benches.
    Maybe they were just intimidated by his awesomeness.