Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Second grader in wheelchair set apart from classmates in school photo

I know it was not intentional, but it sure was insensitive. Breaks my heart to see how he leans over towards his classmates.

Quote Originally Posted by anban View Post
    I know it was not intentional, but it sure was insensitive. Breaks my heart to see how he leans over towards his classmates.
    I noticed that too and I felt the same way.

Aside from how thoughtless this was, this is just BAD photography.

Regardless how ignorant, insensitive or inexperienced a photographer is in shooting anyone in a wheelchair, the shot was terribly composed.

Even if the photographer 'didn't know any better' about shooting kids with disabilities, he should simply know better about composing a good shot.

You don't accommodate a child in a wheelchair at the expense of getting a good class photo; you accommodate the child in a wheelchair in a way that frames the class as a whole, wheelchair or not.

Leaving the chair way off to the side was at the expense of a good class photo.

I can see both sides of the argument. He's as close as he can get to the bleachers, so they did at least do that. The other students could have moved over though or the teacher stood in the gap to make a better "bridge" between them. The idea of having kids stand around him would have most likely made it so that other students could not have been seen. That would still be a problem, but with other students.

When I was in high school, the students sat in bleachers a couple times a week for different activities. In order not to block others, I could only sit by my class for Freshman and Senior years. It's something wheelchair users do to accommodate others.

I'm glad this was retaken, but too bad it was after complaints.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Awww I love this, he looks so happy!! I love that he's seated on the bench!!

So much fail went into the first photo. I blame the photographer, teacher and the parents.

I'm sure there are thousands more photos just like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by anban View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I noticed that too and I felt the same way.
    Yeah! Fucked-up big time!

I'm glad it had a (somewhat) happy ending. The kid is a mentch!

He is so cute! The second pic is so much better. Not sure how any of the adults involved thought the first picture was acceptable when taking it.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

The 2nd picture is much better!