Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second grader in wheelchair set apart from classmates in school photo

Second grader in wheelchair set apart from classmates in school photo

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

They retook this photo and put him in the middle with everyone surrounding him. Of course that part doesn't make the news....

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicam14 View Post
    They retook this photo and put him in the middle with everyone surrounding him. Of course that part doesn't make the news....
    But it can make this thread. Post your source. Was the photo you describe done after complaint or during the original session?

ETA: From the article linked above . . .
    The Province notes that Lifetouch had to be “coaxed” in order to admit that Miles’ placement was a mistake and has finally agreed to retake the class photo.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Well as you can see it was done after the complaint. I didn't say what they did was right, but they did retake the picture.

That's all that I heard.

You would think the teacher would have taken care of it.

There was plenty of room at the end of bleachers by the wheelchair to move the kids over to close the distance. The child in the chair would have been almost touching the other kids. Then maybe have the teacher stand to the right of wheelchair. I know the eventual solution was for the disabled child to be transferred to the bleachers among the kids. I like my solution better. The photographer was an idiot and the teacher incorrectly deferred to the photog.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    most of society is ignorant to this stuff, should any of us really be surprised by this? If a situation like this didn't happen at least once a week to me, I'd might consider the fact the end is near. Was the poor photographer suppose to put him way out front, that wouldn't have been any better. Maybe he could've drove his power wheelchair up into the bleachers.
    The school should've been better prepared for this, the idiot behind the camera didn't know better.

Do people know how much this hurts, how much it affects someone for the rest of their life? You don't get over stuff like this, you remember it forever. I don't mean it ruins your life but it's a painful memory and early on it puts it in to your head that you are different. When I've worked with disabled kids I've made it a point to treat them the same as their AB peers.

Years ago I worked with an overnight program that was done in a historical theme. The kids spent the night on a real full-rigged ship that was 120 years old and given lots of work to do. One class had a girl who used a chair and the staff, including the teachers and parents who came with the class, treated her differently. I tore that kid a new one (me in character) about not doing her work and leaving her chair unsecured on deck (she had gotten out of her chair to sit on deck and do vegetable chopping for supper). I wasn't going to have something loose moving around while we were sailing (we never really sailed). I got her to take responsibility for her gear and learn a knot to lash her chair down and I did it loudly enough for the rest of the staff to get the idea: treat this kid the same.

My friend Dana had muscular dystrophy and she told me her happiest memory was going to MD camp as a kid and actually getting in trouble and being punished for it. She said it was the only time she was ever treated just like anyone else. She was 28, years past her 'death date', when she told me that and she still remembered it so fondly.

There's a fellow who sails with my club and his CP is pretty severe but he wants to do everything everyone else does, as well as he can. People kept praising him for anything. I wouldn't do it. Until he learned how to tie his boat up properly to the cleat I kept letting him know he was doing it wrong. Get it right just like everyone else. Everyone, disabled or not, just wants to be treated like a person. Sorry for the rant but this is a personal hot-button for me.

I have a class photo like that ... I'll post it when I get home from work.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

The teacher should have known better. I'm sure her principal will have a word with her about this incidence. The child should have been parked where the teacher is standing. The photographer and teacher should have figured this out before the pic was taken. When I attended my 25th high school class reunion, the photographer put me in the middle and everyone either stood or knelt down for the picture.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child