Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Resale value of accessibility modifications

For our particular house, if we were to sell, we would try first to sell as is and hope that another wheeler would buy the house. If after that failed, we would remove the ceiling lift in our bedroom and un-configure the bathroom to its original state. We modified it extensively to fit our particular situation and while it is absolutely perfect for us, it's not terribly usable to an able bodied person. We'd also remove the lift in the garage because it too is considered a negative, even though I as the AB in the relationship use it more than my h/c husband!

The positives that we would leave are that we have hard wood floors all throughout the downstairs, including in our master bedroom. Also, the doors are all widened, which is helpful in terms of people moving in and out, furniture and what not.

Let's just hope we never have to sell!!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I made my first home after sci fully accessible, with the mods made being of form and function - but the place that you lose the most cash is regrading the outside areas? Raising patios, ramps instead of stairs, having to tarmac a gravel drive etcetera. I'm not sure it's at all reasonable for the insurance to pay out again and again dependant on how many times you decide on a change of scenery?! Their responsibility is to ensure that you can be provided with a home that suits the needs of the individual, and in the UK they actually factor in the expected losses as part of the insurance claim, but it's a one time deal......which in my eyes is correct - any moves made thereafter and the subsequent homes are entirely the choice and responsibility of the individual. Just mho.

In my opinion if the out door plan, front and back, of the house is well thought out, the drainage and out of doors visual amenities/landscaping are well pre-thought out, good HP accessibility should be a plus. It would go to make all the things that AB folks would like. The same goes for indoors, larger access doors trip-less door sills, over width bedroom doors, more floor space, safety rails in showers including perhaps roll in (lip-less) shower installations, and around the toilet perhaps an elevated hopper and plus the additional area that wheelchairs require do nothing to detract from the value of a home. Yes, ceiling rails would probably be a detraction and a minus.

The furniture movers will absolutely love you ! Guaranteed !

However, in many parts here in North Carolina even that rail and system could be a huge plus. Many of our Wounded Warriors settle here because of the great medical assistance available to them.

I do not think in all honesty that the Insurance company should be liable for life after doing their required duty towards an injured person. I just wish I had received that much consideration. But this is not about me, it is about what is morally right, let alone legally right.
    Last edited by Bob Sullivan; 07-25-2015 at 03:26 PM. Reason: I wanted to.

The problem exceeds what will W/C pay for but also what the IRS will allow a deductions for. For those of us who have rendered our home all but unsellable (no one wants my my house that is only acceptable not optimal for accessibility. We no longer have a bathtub (replaced by the roll in shower that was installed by a moron). The Moron also rendered the back toilet unusable by connecting the toilets. Only one can work and I figure the hall bath is more important as everyone can use it.

The "roll in shower" is on an incline with a 2 inch lip that collects water when the shower is used. I paid too much money for this renovation and I know that no one is going to want it as is.

In addition, I live in a VERY rural area where there is no public transit, no public water or sewer, no natural gas lines. I ti s going to cost me more to fix the hall bath than I paid for the remodel. I am willing to do that to make my house able to sell when the time comes. I just really pisses me off that the IRS thinks that the modifications increased the value. Yeah, if I can find a buyer willing to put a towel on the floor to take a shower and remove it immediately after showering. No tub means no small children. Thankfully, my 2 year old grandson still thinks that sink baths are cool. The shower with no tub attached scares him to death. No family with children is even going to consider my house as is, let alone pay more for it.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09