Thread: Muscle atrophy

Muscle atrophy

My SCI level is C5-C5.

As for me height I'm 6'2 ft. My weight currently is 64 kgs.

I was at one stage 54 kgs, about 5 odd years ago - been in a chair 10 yrs.

You could say I'm naturally skinny, got long limbs etc etc and muscle atrophy is gonna be more naturally noticeable -compared to if I was 5'10 and 68 kgs- right?

I ask this as I'm still losing muscle mass in my forearms and elbows, it feels more harder around there anyways - more bone, less muscle kinda thing ... looks it too, more and more skinny over time ....... that said putting on 10 kgs in 5 years - mainly around my butt but continuing to have your arms atrophy messes with your head ........... anybody else have that kinda thing happen? ...... or give us any advice to counter it? .... or is it just except it, move on and deal with it? ... apart from pressure areas/points, is their such thing as too much atrophy - I'm talking about your arms - being a quad etc etc?

p.s. I'm sure I'm not the only quad who is self conscious about muscle atrophy..... scratch that person in a chair, lots para's out the with skinny legs hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by BMW1983 View Post
    My SCI level is C5-C5.

As for me height I'm 6'2 ft. My weight currently is 64 kgs.

I was at one stage 54 kgs, about 5 odd years ago - been in a chair 10 yrs.

You could say I'm naturally skinny, got long limbs etc etc and muscle atrophy is gonna be more naturally noticeable -compared to if I was 5'10 and 68 kgs- right?

I ask this as I'm still losing muscle mass in my forearms and elbows, it feels more harder around there anyways - more bone, less muscle kinda thing ... looks it too, more and more skinny over time ....... that said putting on 10 kgs in 5 years - mainly around my butt but continuing to have your arms atrophy messes with your head ........... anybody else have that kinda thing happen? ...... or give us any advice to counter it? .... or is it just except it, move on and deal with it? ... apart from pressure areas/points, is their such thing as too much atrophy - I'm talking about your arms - being a quad etc etc?

p.s. I'm sure I'm not the only quad who is self conscious about muscle atrophy..... scratch that person in a chair, lots para's out the with skinny legs hahahaha
    It really depends on your muscle function. You can only develop muscles you have use of unless you do FES.

Can you use FES for building up forearm/arms?

http://anatomicalconcepts.com/index....electrotherapy

''After some years, much of the tissue of denervated muscle is replaced by fat and connective tissue''

Its like my muscle has/isn't getting replaced with any 'fat and or connective tissue'

hahahaha