Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Suggestions for a C-7 Quad

Pistol Suggestions for a C-7 Quad

I might try some target shooting as a hobby. I'm a C-7 quad with some digital dexterity in my left hand. Forget the right side. I've never shot a pistol, rifle or any firearm in my life. I would like some suggestions from gun owners here as to what brand, type, size pistol you folks use and might also be manageable for me. I'm sure I will be taking a Firearms course and may find out on my own. However, I thought the gun owners here could point me in the right direction first. Something small and light I imagine. Thanks.

.22 cal would be your starting point...no recoil(kick) at all...like you mentioned..just go to the gun store/range....hold different guns to feel weight, grip, to make sure you can handle it without firing it.. then hit the range...hard to really say, only you will know once you hold/fire....
    even within the same caliber of gun, different makes have different trigger pulls, grip sizes, weight of gun....so you might not be able/comfortable with one 9mm, but much better with another make....these are the things the gun store salesman can tell you
    - Rolling Thru Life -

I was just looking around the internet and saw this "pocket handgun", the Berretta Nano. It's a 9mm, got good reviews, seems lightweight. I am surprised all the handguns are pretty much polymer (plastic) on the outside. Although I really don't know much about firearms at this point.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/nano/

I would recommend...nothing.

Most indoor ranges have several models of handgun to rent out, and I'd do that until you either grow away from the idea, altogether, or you grow to be capable of answering your own question, based on direct experience.

As a baseline, for safety's sake, you'll need to be able to hold aloft, in front of you, 36oz with a nice, firm grip for a good 10 seconds, with a controlled decent to the table between shots. You will also need enough dexterity in your trigger finger to maintain trigger discipline, which means putting it in and out of the trigger guard between shots and when moving, etc. Most triggers seem to break in the 4-7lb range, depending, so you'll need that strength, too.

New shooters ought become experienced shooters long before they ought to consider owning a handgun, IMO.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Dale has some sound advice...

yes, you should start off with a rifle or shotgun first. a pistol will be the most difficult to master. do a lot of research and talk to some experienced shooters before u pick up a loaded 9mm with limited hand function. bad idea.

there's not much worse than a pistol in the hand of someone with a semi-numb trigger finger that spasms randomly (that would be me)

I'm a C7 as well with spotty hand function.

Go to a store, ask to look at a .22 LR handgun, and try to dry fire it. If you can't do that, hand the gun back to the guy and roll away. But seriously, if you really want to learn how to shoot, find someone who knows what they're doing and start with a .22 caliber RIFLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    there's not much worse than a pistol in the hand of someone with a semi-numb trigger finger that spasms randomly (that would be me)

I'm a C7 as well with spotty hand function.
    How about me using a chainsaw then?

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products.../440-e-series/

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    How about me using a chainsaw then?

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products.../440-e-series/
    I have not attempted using a pistol but have used a chainsaw for about 15 minutes before heeding the advice of more experienced users. After the SCI, I figured I'll lose all credibility with everyone if I had a chainsaw accident after being warned.

I started using this instead.