Thread: effexor question

effexor question

I've been taking venalfexine for depression 75 mg and daytime neuropathic pain (L1 para). it doesn't seem to help anymore. Should I ask my doctor to increase dosage?

I am interested to know: how long have you been taking it? How well did it help the neuropathic pain? How bad would you say your neuro pain is? I might consider trying this at some point in the future, but I have been on a losing streak for years with medications so it is hard to be optimistic.

I have had a nerve pain drug completely conk out on me after eight weeks, and it seemed like a lost cause to up the dosage. I read about other people's experiences online with that drug (nucynta) and that was a common experience. People just stopped taking it after it quit working. However, if it is safe to up the dosage and you aren't getting bad side effects, I really don't see what you have to lose. Discuss the pros and cons of this approach with the doctor. Find out if there are any problems associated with taking a higher dose--is it difficult to get off of this drug at a higher dosage if you eventually need to do that, etc.

Good luck!
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Quote Originally Posted by Tjcpara View Post
    I've been taking venalfexine for depression 75 mg and daytime neuropathic pain (L1 para). it doesn't seem to help anymore. Should I ask my doctor to increase dosage?
    Sure. You're still on the smallest dose.

Things can change over time. We always increase the med as much as we can before we give up on it. Good luck.

TJC Para - Upping your dose of venalfexine (effexor) should help you with your neurogenic pain... When I went up to 150 on venalfexine my pretty severe neurogenic pain calmed down.

My doc said at lower levels venalfexine causes one's brain to release serotonin...some people get pain relief at this level, but I wasn't one of them. Going to a higher dose of venalfexine makes the brain release pain releaving Norepinephrine. This worked for me.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust