Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 700 Vs 650 wheels in racer handbike.

700 Vs 650 wheels in racer handbike.

Hi guys.

I`m going to change my handbike fork, in my actual fork you can adjust the depth and height of the crankset, but now that i know my optimal posture i don`t need it, so i`m going for a fixed fork even i want my footrest fixed, the same tube of the fork bended to make the footrest, all in one piece.

So because i`m going to change the fork i could take advantage and tell them to make it to 700 wheels, and change rear wheels too.

My question is: any guy have done the change from 650 to 700 and after have regret?

I think doing the change will be all pross, do you think could have any cons?

Yes, i know that the height of the frame will get up a bit, but that isn`t a problem, because my handbike was one of the first Oracings racer`one and is very close to the floor as you can see ( around 2.7"), how much it will go up changing wheels?

On occasion I run my 700 discs on the back of my handcycle. Make sure you adjust the axles for the rear wheels or they will be towed in with the 700s. The only problem I have with them is visibility. I lay pretty far back, so my head is well below the wheel with the 700s, and I can't see around the disc.

They work fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    On occasion I run my 700 discs on the back of my handcycle. Make sure you adjust the axles for the rear wheels or they will be towed in with the 700s. The only problem I have with them is visibility. I lay pretty far back, so my head is well below the wheel with the 700s, and I can't see around the disc.

They work fine though.

I lay back like this.

You'll be fine. My head is lower than the rear wheels(even with 650s). I'm almost on the axle.

This is my well used often wrecked handcycle. Like I said my head is much lower, so you should be able to see just fine with 700s. I thought about it after my first comment to you, if you change out your front wheel as well, you don't even have to change the axles on the rear. They will only tow in if you leave the front wheel a 650. The 700s will only raise the bike 1/2 inch.

Attachment 50233

what are your reasons for going to 700's all you really get is better tire and rim selection?

Also you may have to change your gearing if you do move up to 700's

Quote Originally Posted by swimcrankpush View Post
    what are your reasons for going to 700's all you really get is better tire and rim selection?

Correct and correct. The 700s can help to smooth out bumps and rough surfaces. They seem to roll pretty fast and smoothly at high speeds, too. In terms of performance, I don't feel that they really have any significant advantage for a handcyclist. I've been riding a Schmicking with 700c wheels for the last five years. For general riding, they are fantastic. The smoother ride and wheel/rim/tire selection is great.

If you decide to get a new fork made for 700s, just make sure they build it correctly so you still have the proper amount of trail. I wouldn't recommend getting footrests that are welded in place. It looks like the frame is plenty long so you won't run into any clearance issues with your arms, shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by swimcrankpush View Post

tire selection is one, larger diameter will give smoother rides, get up the bike from floor will be another because in some situations the frame have touched floor.

About changing gearing i don`t think so, chainrings are 22-36-48 and cassette a 11-36

totol1-nice bike and this is way off subject but what type of mirror is that? I sure cant find one for my R that I like. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    what type of mirror is that? I sure cant find one for my R that I like. thanks

It`s just a bicycle mirror that i have adapted, i have changed the way it was, now i`ve got a better perspective that what i`ve got behind me.