Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Crunching" in front end of my ZRA?

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    You're right. The lower one comes easily when removing the all fork. But the upper bearing is strongly tighened on the axle. We (I say "we", but as I'm a quad without finger function, my father does the mechanics for me. I can only use my brain… and not too much !) had to :
    - break in two parts the outside ring of the bearing, using a big hand-vice,
    - separate all the balls and cut their support,
    - cut in two parts the inner ring with a small grindstone on a Dremel.
    Not easy… but doable.

Lynne, any good mechanic will be able to check your fork and their bearings, without removing them. That's a small part of their job.
    Thanks for explaining but yeah, that's what I thought. I've done stuff like that and it is exhausting. Days of work. When there hasn't been a choice I've done that kind of work but getting older and things being harder I no longer want to be the hands-on hero I was in my youth. I keep trying to think of what about disability doesn't suck and I keep coming back to shoes. Gotta admit, my shoe budget ain't much. ;-)

Sure, I understand and agree with you !
    After having made all the mechanics on my motorbike and my MTB (I'm an "ex" Enduro rider, on a 360 KTM and all terrain enthusiast on a bike) I HATE having things done by anyone else.Difficult to find a "good" mechanic you can rely on…

But if we can come back to this post, I think Lynne has still this issue !! Am I right ?
    Lynne, try to describe this "crunching" as best as you can…
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    But if we can come back to this post, I think Lynne has still this issue !! Am I right ?
    Lynne, try to describe this "crunching" as best as you can…
    Well............let's see. I'm saying crunching because it's a dull, short snap when it occurs. Like only one sound of it each time. It happens when the front end is loaded (feet hanging down), usually when I'm transitioning from tile to carpet, or the reverse, or changing direction sharply. Sounds to be coming from the right side. I'm not aware of it when I'm freely wheeling around with some speed. It's when I'm moving very little, changing surfaces, dressing, forward, back, etc. Does this help? AND it doesn't always DO it!

Lynne,

Here's something easy to try. If your caster wheels use small spacers between the caster wheel bearing and the caster fork, clean the ends of these spacers (where they contact the bearing and the fork) and apply a very small amount of grease to these surfaces before reassembling the wheel into the fork.

Many chairs use a 5/16" bolt for the caster wheel axle but the bearing is actually 8mm ID. There's only a few thousandths of an inch difference, but it can be enough to cause a condition called stick-slip. When the caster bearing shifts position against the spacer, it can make a snapping sound like you describe.

Lubricating that area will not resolve the problem permanently, but the real solution isn't nearly as easy.

Be sure not to over tighten the axle bolt/ nut. In fact, leaving it just shy of snug will reduce the tendency for the the wheel to snap back and forth against the spacers.

Smile

Hey Black Alloy, that sounds like a real possibility! I actually have THREE spacers between my bearings and fork on EACH side! So any ONE of those areas could be the culprit. I've thought of getting the one wider spacer for each side but never did. Can't wait to try your suggestion! Thanks!

Thumbs up for Black Alloy, the solution is surely nearby this caster wheel !
    When reassembling all this stuff Lynne, please REMEMBER the old, but universal 5 grades tightening scale :
    1- not tighten at all
    2- not tighten enough
    3- normally tighten
    4- firmly/strongly tighten
    5- too bad guys, broken bolt !

IMO, you must be somewhere between grade 3 and 4 for this caster axle.
    Last edited by robotnik; 06-23-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.