Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wheelchair Motorbike

wheelchair Motorbike

Hey guys, just wanted to show you guys my new toy. In 2009 I was on a motorcycle trip and got cut off by a semi truck and crashed. I ended up a T2 para but thankfully still alive. I always wanted to ride again but didn't know how. I tried a Canam Spyder and it worked but it's not the same as 2 wheels, I don't want to trash them but I would personally rather buy a convertable because it is the same thing. So I sold that and bought the same bike I crashed on, Suzuki Hayabusa. So with help from a great fabricator friend and family we hand built landing gear system. There is a guy claiming to make lading gear for sport bikes but he never answered any of my emails and his landing gear looked like ass and had weak mounting points. We designed this so it supports the frame of the bike not the tail. And then it is half the size so it's hard to see with the landing gear up not look like two ski poles stick from the back. And we used heavy wall sqaure tubing and hid the actuator under the swing arm behind the exhaust so it looks hidin. There is a ton of mods and hard work and problem solving into this and it did take a long time but here is a few pics of it. Just built the wheelchair rack for the bike last week.

This is the closet feeling to walking I had since the wreck.
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Damn, you got drive.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

sweet! That's great for T2...are you incomplete? Nice ride man.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    sweet! That's great for T2...are you incomplete? Nice ride man.
    x2... that takes some balance trickery for a textbook T2.

right on though.

Thanks for the praise guys. That means a lot from you. My break is at T2 and I have a syrinx from c4 to t10. My phyisiatrist said I have sensory of t1 on my left and C4 on my right side cause of the syrinx. Yeah I'm a complete. It's harder to ride the slower I go, the faster the easier. I can only ride 70-80% from able bodied but its good enough for me. Nice to ride with out compromising that much. If I can put more miles on it and get comfortable I might even try to race it again. We will see.

That's awesome! Looks totally badass!

I've been putting a lot of thought into adapting one of my bikes so I can go on rides with mates. I've got a Triumph TT600 which is the actual bike i crashed on, it's since been rebuilt and I started off doing trackdays on it, just with the kliktronic gear changer and the assistance of some friends to launch/catch. I don't want to wreck it again so I've bought a 2002 R1 that I've put track fairings on (luckily because i just crashed it on the track and broke a leg!)..

Anyway, I was going to do something like the classic 'ski poles' lol. Yours looks really tidy though, I don't suppose you've got any close up pics of it? Also, what actuator did you end up using and how does the electrical side of it work?

Thanks for posting this!
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Make sure the wheels on your chair cannot start spinning as you are ridding. At least the back wheels for sure, if they spin at high speeds for an extended period of time you may have a problem with the bearings and or the quick release axle not coming out when you want to take it apart. Great job on the bike I am sure you will have many miles of enjoyment...

Hey suprsi. PM me your email and ill send you some pics and maybe give you some other ideas like a soiled crash cage so if you do tip over it saves your bike but more importantly your bones. People say they are bad for curving corners but my bikes lowered and still no issues.

Yes the brakes are on the chair when I leave. The wheelchair rack has been speed tested and nothin moves at all. Thanks for the tip.

Very cool! I'm more surprised that a t2 can balance the bike. Good deal!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    Very cool! I'm more surprised that a t2 can balance the bike. Good deal!
    Thanks. It's not that hard to balance. The hardest part is doing everything with your hands, shifting, front rear brakes, controlling landing gear, signal lights. If your good with video games you can do it lol. But I noticed you have to use the throttle to steer more than a AB would. And also hitting the gym helps a bunch too.