Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Transfer using Carbon Fiber Wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by Black Alloy View Post
    The frame, backrest shell, seat cushion base and footplate are carbon fiber composite. The backrest frame and footrest tubes are aluminum.
    Hi. What backrest Did you put on the chair? Did u need to modify any parts?

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    What you are saying applied to a daily wheelchair with all due respect to you "are nonsenses", just CF placebo effect.
    The only real advantage is that will be lighter and will take less effort to put it into the car.
    Well, to each its own, but I do not have very strong arms unlike some seniors here, hence the lighter the better for me. Weight will always be an issue for the weaker and we will always feel the difference more than those who are stronger...you won't understand it if you aren't in my position!

Quote Originally Posted by smokinn.babe View Post
    Well, to each its own, but I do not have very strong arms unlike some seniors here, hence the lighter the better for me. Weight will always be an issue for the weaker and we will always feel the difference more than those who are stronger...you won't understand it if you aren't in my position!
    Well I have very strong arms mostly from riding my hand cycle about 70 miles a week. That being said, I got to say that putting my heave chair in my truck and then into the back seat (when the wife comes along) does not feel good at all. It is harder on my shoulders then a 20 mile ride, not sure why. So even with strong arms and shoulders I think that it would be beneficial to have a reasonably light chair. My ti-lite with the wheels and roho off still weighs about 24 pounds. That's a lot of weight, considering how far away from your body it is when being moved about.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Ha! Ha! Ha! Someone finally realized adding a million things onto wheelchair increases that weight. On top of transfers, pushing around all day, is far easier and much less wear on your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Alloy View Post
    Here's a short car transfer video using a carbon fiber rigid frame wheelchair. Low weight and minimal accessories make the dozen or times a day I do this much easier than with any other wheelchair I've used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22d8LRyLDLc

Quote Originally Posted by smokinn.babe View Post
    Absolutey right on.
    I've been trying out the Panthera X for about a week now and the difference between it and my titanium ZR is amazing. I can actually push up an ADA ramp with little effort whereas with any other chair it would be a total struggle(Left arm is C-5, Right is C-7). That extra 10 pounds, or lack of I should say, is huge for me and just enough to allow me to actually push manually places I normally wouldn't even consider.
    I always thought like Toto1 that it wouldn't matter much since I don't load a chair in my car and that a chair less than 10 lbs would be too light. But i was dead wrong. It's an awesome chair!
    Thanks for the video and thread Black Alloy. People need to be made aware of the benefits that CF chairs can bring to our lives. And hopefully you and other companies will jump in and help bring down the price.
    Last edited by pattherat; 06-23-2013 at 06:11 PM.

To each his own, for sure. Mine looks like this:

Panthera is novel, but not able to be fit to the user in many respects. For $11k I think I'd opt to lose 10lbs off my gut. That would have the same effect but also would make transfers less stressful on the shoulders. Taken as a unit, rider and chair, is between 150-200lbs, nominally. Scratching off 10lbs is good, but my experience puts chair fit and geometry as being larger influences on the feel (heavier vs lighter) than a few % of overall weight being moved along.

E.g. My 30lb Marvel feels lighter at the pushrims than my 20lb Lasher. Turns easier, accelerates easier. Everything except xfers into the car has the perception of being lighter.

Geometry and fit > weight, for my mileage.

My test ride of the Panthera only reinforced this opinion.

Being mostly fixed dimensions, it wasn't worth it, IMO.

I opted for another BT Mg, with geometry closer to Marvel, and it's lighter than the Black Alloy CF chair.
    Last edited by DaleB; 06-23-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Edited out wrong thread reference

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I opted for another BT Mg, with geometry closer to Marvel, and it's lighter than the Black Alloy CF chair.
    So you now have 2 Lashers? Clearly I've lost your inventory list.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    So you now have 2 Lashers? Clearly I've lost your inventory list.
    LOL! Yes. I'm still trying to push the wheels off the Auickie GT. It's my knobbies and Freewheel ride. The Marvel is in pieces, mint, on the floor of my bathroom closet. My original Mg is in the back of my van serving as my "town" chair and the other Mg is under my butt as my "house" chair.

It's good to have options!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Some of us don't have 10lbs to lose and if it could magically happen by forking over 11k you should market that(surgery doesn't count).

The Panthera X is highly adjustable. And I would say it'll fit most people. You can choose and or change frame width, footrest height, COG, length, backrest height and angle, even FSH and RSH a little with caster options and seat sling adjustments.

I don't think you gave it a chance DaleB and probably for a Para the experience is totally different, but if you are weak and or a high level quad and you can get a chance to demo one, do it!

Losing 10 lbs is significant and you feel it in every push.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    A magnesium cantilever can certainly be made lighter than my composite chair, but a cast iron chair can be built lighter too. Not without compromises that I was unwilling to make.

I've stated in the past what my feelings are toward the cantilever frames, but from what I've seen of them, Lasher probably does a better job with their cantilever system than most others.

Weight wasn't my only goal with this project, but it was certainly at the top of the list. My everyday chair transfer weight of 10-1/2lb is actually 1-1/2lb. over the designed weight, but I haven't had time to finish the molds for the full backrest, footrest tubes and caster forks. My footrest tubes are 0.050" wall steel tubing right now! (hey, it's was handy at the time)