Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Transfer using Carbon Fiber Wheelchair

Car Transfer using Carbon Fiber Wheelchair

Here's a short car transfer video using a carbon fiber rigid frame wheelchair. Low weight and minimal accessories make the dozen or times a day I do this much easier than with any other wheelchair I've used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22d8LRyLDLc

Looks effortless. What's carbon fiber on your chair?
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

The frame, backrest shell, seat cushion base and footplate are carbon fiber composite. The backrest frame and footrest tubes are aluminum.

Black Alloy,
    Have you had a chance to check out the Panthera X and compare transfer weights?
    Did you create this YouTube video to suggest that you're reconsidering your reluctance to (eventually) bring this design to market?
    Stephen

I've never had any first hand experience with the Panthera, but would very much like to. It's a very elegant design that is almost certainly lighter than mine. Shame that carbon frames can't really be made affordable enough for widespread use at this time. Carbon fiber supercars have the same limitation unfortunately.

The video doesn't have any hidden purpose. We keep hearing (and I keep saying) that a carbon frame is light enough to make a noticeable difference, but I thought it might help to see what that actually gets you in daily use.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Alloy View Post
    The frame, backrest shell, seat cushion base and footplate are carbon fiber composite. The backrest frame and footrest tubes are aluminum.
    Together, since those are the parts (plus casters) you whip so casually in your car, how much do they weigh?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The pick up weight is 10lb 8oz. Wheels and cushion not included. It really is remarkable how much difference a few pounds can make.

Since day 1 of my injury, I've always wanted a CF chair. its light and makes manoeuvring easier, resulting in lesser effort to move around, saving weight also means using less energy.
    I just got myself a Corima CF 4-bladed wheels which are light, slightly heavier than my SPOX LX.
    However the CF wheels is so stiff, the noticeable difference is lesser flex with every push. Hence the effort to push is not wasted and full strength goes into the propulsion instead of flex which is loss energy! Same would also apply to the CF wheelchair I believe. Titanium flexes a lot. I have yet had a chance to sit on a CF wheelchair, but I hope someday I can get one...without burning a hole in my wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by smokinn.babe View Post
    Since day 1 of my injury, I've always wanted a CF chair. its light and makes manoeuvring easier, resulting in lesser effort to move around, saving weight also means using less energy.
    I just got myself a Corima CF 4-bladed wheels which are light, slightly heavier than my SPOX LX.
    However the CF wheels is so stiff, the noticeable difference is lesser flex with every push. Hence the effort to push is not wasted and full strength goes into the propulsion instead of flex which is loss energy! Same would also apply to the CF wheelchair I believe. Titanium flexes a lot. I have yet had a chance to sit on a CF wheelchair, but I hope someday I can get one...without burning a hole in my wallet!

What you are saying applied to a daily wheelchair with all due respect to you "are nonsenses", just CF placebo effect.
    The only real advantage is that will be lighter and will take less effort to put it into the car.

FYI: I've posted pics of my chair being weighed. Transfer weight (minus cushion and rear wheels, but, including side guards and brakes), is .3lbs lighter than the Black Alloy everyday CF chair's transfer weight (minus cushion and wheels, but, no brakes or side guards.). My chair is not CF.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.