Thread: Pseudomonas in the Lungs AGAIN / STILL. How'd u cure it ?

Pseudomonas in the Lungs AGAIN / STILL. How'd u cure it ?

RGGHH! My husband just finished 2 weeks of Tobramycin IV & Imepinem for Pseudomonas lung infection... They just called this morning and said that his culture was positive so we needed to go back on the IV for 2 more weeks..

About 5 months ago he had Pseudomonas and they prescribed oral cipro & something else, which never cured it. Eventually , it turned into a full blown infection that was causing fever, so on the IV we went.

I know cure depends on sensitivity. They apparently think that Tobramycin is the answer, but if it didn't work last time I wonder why it would work this time. I got a message about vetericyn VF in the nebulizer... Anyone tried this? Anyone have any magic cures or wise words of advice?

He has a "T" tube (just like a trach only rubber)..I assume this thing is caked with pseudomonas . Its not like a trach where you can change the doohicky. I'm gonna find a way to clean this thing... So, clean the Tube, Good oral care, .. what else?

All of these complications are so frustrating. I have no words of wisdom, just sending support as a wife.
    By "dohickey" do you mean the inner canula? If he has the trach tube permanently how often is it being changed?
    Hopefully SCI nurse can give some advice.

Does he need the T tube for some reason? A foreign object inside his trachea makes him more at risk for infections and aspiration. Is he getting suctioned?? What does the pulmonologist say??

Has an infectious disease physician been consulted, and are they directing the therapy?? Has a tracheal-esophogeal fistula been ruled out?

What is his CRP? Has he had scans to look for foreign bodies, cysts, or abscess areas in the lungs that are protecting/harboring bacteria?

(KLD)

He has tracheal stenosis .. We hope to SOMEDAY get rid of this tube, but for now its a wait game. They did mention doing a tracheal resection and eliminating the tube, but Chris is not very exited about that.
    We do suctioning . This infection has never once showed up on an X-ray, so there isn't a buildup of mucus or anything...No scans, just X-rays (would abcess show up on an Xray?)
    he hasn't seen a pulmonologist or infectious disease Dr, his PCP is directing the therapy. I'm thinking that after this round of antibiotics we will have to ask for infectious disease to get on board ...

His sinuses are all stuffy now too, and I suspect that he has sinusitis. I read that these antibiotics don't work as well for sinusitis (or something).. Do you think they will cure that too ? He is on a pretty high dose of the Tobramycin..

You mentioned IV abx had been given. Have the docs discussed aerosol abx as an adjunct to IV delivery?

can you clean the area with the vetericyn? did u put the vet into a nebulizer treatment? get infectious disease on board ASAP. an abscess wouldnt show up on xray. this sounds terrible.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/