Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why are you?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    How do you continue to do the 12hr shifts? It broke me - literally. I could not do that, battle some health complications and look after my condo all on my own ... I still feel bad that I failed.

I worked tens for ten years - not a problem - the 12's were my kryptonite. Now I'm on 8's with accommodated hours (one thing about Canada - we have excellent employment laws for the disabled).
    Lynnifer, I would not think of this in terms that you "failed." 12-hour shifts would be pushing it for most ABs. I think you should be really proud of what you accomplished and continue to accomplish. Sometimes things are simply out of our control and we need an accommodation. No shame in that!
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth422 View Post
    how is everyone. I am so glad to be off tonight since i have a major headache but the headache could be since i haven't slept today. LOL I don't sleep on my first day off nights if i do i want sleep that night. Ive been shopping for my favorite things online one of which is vera bradley. And ive been planning my vacation to the beach next month. I will be wonderful 9 days 8 nights camping in our RV at the state park. 9 days of camping, shopping, eating, fishing and taking pictures I am so excited.
    Camping in an RV sounds pretty cool. I hope you have a great time! Did you have to get a lot of modifications to the vehicle to make it work for you or is it pretty standard? Some childhood friends of mine own an RV park up here on a man-made lake with 30 acres, and I was just looking at their website today and wondering how the whole camping scenario would work in terms of accessibility. I was simply thinking about trying to get down to their beach to go swimming, which will be enough of a challenge but you never know when the chance to try camping might present itself.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    How do you continue to do the 12hr shifts? It broke me - literally. I could not do that, battle some health complications and look after my condo all on my own ... I still feel bad that I failed.

I worked tens for ten years - not a problem - the 12's were my kryptonite. Now I'm on 8's with accommodated hours (one thing about Canada - we have excellent employment laws for the disabled).
    Damn girl! You did not fail! Like NikkiMaya said, most AB's can't do that without burning out. You always seem to be real hard on yourself. Cut yourself some slack.

I worked an 8 hour day for over 22 years. Commute was 30 minutes. By the end of the day I was beat! And I had someone helping me. Fu*k doing it myself -- I'd be dead.

Now I work mostly from home. Less money, but the commute is only 90 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiMaya View Post
    Camping in an RV sounds pretty cool. I hope you have a great time!

...I was simply thinking about trying to get down to their beach to go swimming, which will be enough of a challenge but you never know when the chance to try camping might present itself.
    Go for it Nikki! offroaderswife and many others here have posted about camping and RV'ing.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=225331

I would if I could, but I'd need a really, really long extension cord for my bed and to charge my WC .

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiMaya View Post
    Camping in an RV sounds pretty cool. I hope you have a great time! Did you have to get a lot of modifications to the vehicle to make it work for you or is it pretty standard? Some childhood friends of mine own an RV park up here on a man-made lake with 30 acres, and I was just looking at their website today and wondering how the whole camping scenario would work in terms of accessibility. I was simply thinking about trying to get down to their beach to go swimming, which will be enough of a challenge but you never know when the chance to try camping might present itself.
    No not really we had them put a raised shower instead of the tub it came with and it's a toy hauler. My chair is small so I don't have any problems with the interior Doors. And it has one slide out in the livingroom. Camping is really fun you should give it a try.