Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cellular therapies for SCI

Cellular therapies for SCI

An interesting publication that I think it worth reading:

"Demostrating efficacy in preclinical studies of cellular therapies for spinal cord injury - How much is enough?"

from the first page under "Methods":

"A focus group meeting supported by the Rick Hansen Institute and hosted by the lead authors (BK and WT) was held on the evening of october 18, 2012 during the society for neuroscienze annual meeting in New Orleans. Members of the SCI scientific and clinical community who were already attending the annual SFN meeting were invited to attend this side meeting..."

At page 34 under "time window of intervention"

"While there is much interest in developping treatments that would be applicable in the chronic injury state, in the majority of preclinical studies, the cells are transplanted at relatively early time points (most often between 1 and 2 weeks post injury)"

In the "discussion" it was discussed again "Timing of intervention" at page 41:

"There are important advantages of testing cells in clinical trials of chronic SCI. A more stable baseline neurologic status may be presents and the probability of further spontaneous neurologic recovery is more predictible, allowing an assessment of the cellular therapy in a smaller cohort of subjects"

See the attachment.

Paolo
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 06-16-2013 at 07:00 PM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

When you just look at those diagrams when they were asked to agree/disagree thats an indicator for me that shows how far away we are away of finding a cure...

Quote Originally Posted by KK11 View Post
    When you just look at those diagrams when they were asked to agree/disagree thats an indicator for me that shows how far away we are away of finding a cure...
    Yep, just that it doesn't look good at all.

Then when hear they realize "there is much interest in developping treatments that would be applicable in the chronic injury state"

and

"There are important advantages of testing cells in clinical trials of chronic SCI"

but then

"in the majority of preclinical studies, the cells are transplanted at relatively early time points (most often between 1 and 2 weeks post injury)"

now I wonder where is the candid camera?

I wish it were a candid camera..

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    now I wonder where is the candid camera?

I wish it were a candid camera..

Paolo
    Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe you percieve the web they weave.

"The Moody Blues"

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe you percieve the web they weave.

"The Moody Blues"
    Song and dance won't make you prance. More need to learn and then we will earn the goal which some yearn.

I have added a question related to this thread to the Live Chat http://news.sciencemag.org/health/20...al-cord-injury

I hope they will answer it.

Paolo

I watched it and I would love to hear what Wise would say about the phrase Martin Schwab did : A cure is the total wrong term. To get all the functions back is simply unrealistic. Wise??

I think Martin Schwab should retire, he builded his career on the NOGO antibody that failed in trials. He has contributed a lot to the field but his failure has turned him into a negative presence in the field. I would give him a nice retirement $$$ if he gets out of the field. Same for Michael Fehlings.
    I would really thank them very much for all that they have done, but now we don't need their services anymore :)

Paolo

I think that Martin Schwab is a great scientist. Michael Fehlings is an experienced clinician. I don't think that people should be discouraged by what they are saying. If you define cure as recovering all function, I would agree that it is unlikely in the near future. This does not mean that there will not be therapies that return substantial and useful function. To me that would be very welcome. I don't think that either of them would deny that this will happen. Wise.

Paolo, there are a lot of people who say negative things about the cure, including you. I believe that both Martin Schwab and Michael Fehlings have been, are, and will be important contributors in the field. We not only should thank them for what they have done but encourage them to remain in the field. Nogo is and continues to be a very important contributor to the field. In fact, it is turning out that Nogo is an important molecule regulating plasticity in the central nervous system. Michael Fehlings is one of the few clinicians in North America that is doing meaningful clinical trials. His STASCIS trial, for example, is very important because it shows the importance of early decompression of the spinal cord. Wise.