Thread: Wound healed, Bone infection, allergic to antibiotics: any options?

Wound healed, Bone infection, allergic to antibiotics: any options?

Here is a challenge for you. A while back I sought information here about my pressure sore at the right ischial that had reached the bone. I have become allergic to most antibiotics and I am especially allergic to the only medications that will kill this bug. The wound appears to be fully healed and looks great, however I still feel sickly. I'm relatively certain there is infection of the bone. My doctor and the team at the wound clinic are monitoring my health, and instructed me on what to watch for. In fact I was optimistically told that with care a person could live 50 years with a chronic infection like this. Well, I would rather live another 51 years without it!

Are there any alternative medications or treatments I can try to cure this infection? I'm working hard to strengthen my immune system. Presently, I am maintaining a healthy high protein well rounded diet. I am doing my best to avoid sugar. I have added a garlic supplement to my daily vitamins. And, I am exercising regularly on my FES bike (which does make me feel healthier and temporarily alleviate the sickly feeling).

Thank you for your suggestions.

Probiotics. Best thing ever.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Here is what they had me do last summer: 80 sessions of hyperbaric oxygen. The wound clinic said it gets more oxygen down to the bone level and some bacteria die in oxygen. Any cultures or bone scans? It also took my a long time not to feel sickly. Time may work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjcpara View Post
    Here is what they had me do last summer: 80 sessions of hyperbaric oxygen. The wound clinic said it gets more oxygen down to the bone level and some bacteria die in oxygen. Any cultures or bone scans? It also took my a long time not to feel sickly. Time may work as well.
    My wound clinic wanted me to have the oxygen therapy but my medical coverage would not pay for it. I was lucky to get them to rent an Invacare MA65 microair alternating pressure mattress. It seemed to work adequately, but it was extremely uncomfortable, and the retaining snaps for the 20 individual air bladders was a poor design so they were constantly lose. I would not recommend this model.

The bone culture did detect a couple of bugs. However, they were never certain about it being infected bone. The scans were inconclusive due to previous scarring.

This sickly feeling is concerning. It's reminiscent of the traditional infection only it keeps lingering on.

Thank you for the input.

Twenty years ago they could do radioactive scans to see how far the infection was in the bone. They shaved my heel bone off to get rid of it.

Even years ago when I had mine, I had to have the scans at a teaching hospital where they did lots of research. Are you being seen by one of those? They actually inject a radioactive dye into you and the bones show up pink. The radiologist or maybe it was my surgeon showed it to me.

I am assuming you have had these same scans and have bad scarring.

I like you would not want to live with a chronic infection because you feel bad.

Can you or have you got second even third opinions? Sorry for your insurance issues but maybe you need to approach it with them as a way to lessen the care expenses if the oxygen clears the infection.

You have to appeal these kinds of decisions and if you have not then do. See if you can get your doctor to back you to appeal or another doctor maybe.

The sick feeling is the worst. Hope you get it taken care of soon.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    And, I am exercising regularly on my FES bike (which does make me feel healthier and temporarily alleviate the sickly feeling).
    But it might be hard on your wound area. When you first wake up in the morning, if you have full sensation in your hands, feel the wound area and see if it is hotter than the rest of your butt. If you haven't the ability to feel with your hand, have someone who does feel the areas temperature. If it isn't warmer than the rest of your rear, you don't have infection in the bone.

IF you do have a hot spot, stay off the area (especially the FES bike) or any other thing that puts pressure on your right ischial. Also (here we go again), I would spray a 4x4 gauze bandage with Vetericyn VF and put it over the area. It is a natural antibiodic and will work its way to the bone. I'd do that at least 4 times a day if possible. I hope you don't have a bone infection, but if you do, this is what I'd try under your circumstances.

Good luck!

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Have you had a consultation from an infectious disease physician?? HBOT is not going to help if your bug is not an anerobic bacteria.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you had a consultation from an infectious disease physician?? HBOT is not going to help if your bug is not an anerobic bacteria.

(KLD)
    Yes, I have been working with the infectious disease doctors from the beginning. It was the ID doctor that informed me that with proper care a person could live a long life with a chronic infection.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Yes, I have been working with the infectious disease doctors from the beginning. It was the ID doctor that informed me that with proper care a person could live a long life with a chronic infection.

Thank you.
    Get another opinion from someone else. You don't need an infectious disease person giving up on you ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12