Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Suicide

I thought this thread was indeed about self-killing and not end of life care.

Name doesn't to be mentioned, but a CC member confided in me years ago about planning to kill oneself. I even called the police department in the area to do a welfare check on the person. Months later, the person is dead. Some people are truly intent on ending their suffering. For many, life is about quality more than quantity, and when that quality is sucked out, they don't feel the need to be alive because they don't truly feel alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Peter, that's impossible to promise. Many of these people have been suffering for over 20 years with the same issues. Gets better? This isn't a break-up or losing a job.
    This is a big issue i had with Christina.
    Neither will i approve nor condemn
    Extremely delicate and sensitive subject, lets thread with caution Todd.

It's not about self-killing Todd perse, as you put it. It's about discussing the topic of suicide, not about endorsing the act. Let people talk about why they feel as they do.

I remember as many probably do Gary M, who over a decade ago called a another CC member and told her he was going to Oregon and he'd see her when he got back. Oregon was his backyard and a bottle of pills, and he was gone.

There's a chance if he were able to express his feelings among other sufferers of SCI and depression, it may have helped him to want to keep fighting.

I'm not a moderator in this forum, if the appropriate mods feel like moving to members it's their call.

But as to the argument that some kid or adult will stumble onto this thread and then say, "Yeah, that's it, I'm going to kill myself now" is simply not credible imo.

If such a person Googled how to do the deed, one of the very first returns is a wiki about methods. 5 year olds today are smarter than most adults with technology, believe me, if any teenager wants to kill himself, CC won't be the catalyst. Conversely, it may help people to discuss how they feel instead of turning to Google to find out how to commit the act.

I thought this thread was indeed about self-killing and not end of life care.
    I'll remove the wiki link shortly.
    Last edited by rdf; 06-17-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: remove wiki link
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    It's not about self-killing Todd perse, as you put it. It's about discussing the topic of suicide, not about endorsing the act. Let people talk about why they feel as they do.
    I was referring to FO, rdf.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...2&postcount=44

I was reinforcing the fact we are discussing suicide and not end of life care.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    Extremely delicate and sensitive subject, lets thread with caution Todd.
    I thought I was; I was merely rebutting your platitude. Oftentimes, things are nice to say, but aren't necessarily true.

Blog Entries

Dead on truth.

Name doesn't to be mentioned, but a CC member confided in me years ago about planning to kill oneself. I even called the police department in the area to do a welfare check on the person. Months later, the person is dead. Some people are truly intent on ending their suffering. For many, life is about quality more than quantity, and when that quality is sucked out, they don't feel the need to be alive because they don't truly feel alive anyway.
    This couldn't have been more accurate, at least for myself.
    I feel like I was warehoused. One I served a purpose; now fucking zip. Yeah, I have people in my life, but it was like I was THEIR caregiver in a way: and that was what my life was meant to be. Now it's upside down contorted bullshit, I exist, not live, but exist. The paras and lower quads, without severe pain, and reliable caregiving can carve out lives for themselves. Those who are not have much more obstacles to face. Sometimes just not worth it..

someone mentioned that suicide was murder. which set off a hour long search session. by the strict legal definition of murder, suicide does not rate as such as best as i could determine. then i was interested in if suicide was a crime. in many states it does not appear that it is. but i only spent ~hour searching.

one question i have is do people have the right to subject others to their, for the lack of a better term, belief system?

Quote Originally Posted by djk View Post
    someone mentioned that suicide was murder. which set off a hour long search session. by the strict legal definition of murder, suicide does not rate as such as best as i could determine. then i was interested in if suicide was a crime. in many states it does not appear that it is. but i only spent ~hour searching.

one question i have is do people have the right to subject others to their, for the lack of a better term, belief system?
    It was I who made the comment that suicide is a crime in most states, specifically murder. This was not based on "belief" of faith, but on an accumulation of various published statements that this was the law.

suicide n. the intentional killing of oneself. Ironically, in most states suicide is a crime, but if successful there is no one to punish. However, attempted suicide can be a punishable crime (seldom charged against one surviving the attempt). "Assisted suicide" is usually treated as a crime, either specifically (as in Michigan) or as a form of homicide (second degree murder or manslaughter), even when done as a kindness to a loved one who is terminally ill and in great pain. (See: homicide, manslaughter, second degree murder)
    Copyright © 1981-2005 by Gerald N. Hill and Kathleen T. Hill. All Right reserved.
    Frankly, the legality of suicide isn't germane to my opinion about this thread topic. I don't care. I don't "believe" that many people will reject suicide for fear of committing a crime. If this is an important consideration for others, then they can research the subject as it pertains to their circumstances. My point is that suicide shouldn't be conflated with end of life care provided to the terminally ill. It is something quite different.

As to the question of
    do people have the right to subject others to their, for the lack of a better term, belief system?
    on this forum - why yes, they most certainly do. Short of personal attack, one can state any belief, opinion, fact or fiction they desire. This is core to why I believe that we shouldn't be kicking around opinions that may cost someone their life and bring irreconcilable loss to their survivors.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 06-18-2013 at 07:57 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

irreconcilable loss

" This is core to why I believe that we shouldn't be kicking around opinions that may cost someone their life and bring irreconcilable loss to their survivors. "

to whom? my 8 brothers, not 1 of whom has yet to visit me since my accident approximately 13 years ago but are OK if I come see them?

My 4 kids? 1 of whom shows up once a year? the closest in town never visited me or sat with me during any of the spinal surgery recoveries, visited 2x in the 8-10 times I've been in hospital.

I won't say there will not be loss but really...

and am I to live in agony so they are not inconvenienced?

actually the 2 people who would suffer the most fully expect this to be my end and they understand and have verbally shared this and spoken to me about it in a meaningful way, them being the only ones even remotely engaged anymore..

I have no venom to those who are absent, I'm fucking inconvenient and hard to be around and to watch, but I do not live for them.
    I answer in the following order

My God
    Me
    My Family (when they needed me as infants children etc)
    all else by situation

kindly,

ket
    Last edited by ketamine kitty; 06-18-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: type like shit