Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pain was finally managed with Fentanyl and Valiium then all hell broke loose

a lot of the meds you indicated arent really effective for nerve pain anyway. some doctors have seen that drugs for depression, like effexor, also have worked for those with nerve pain. it is worth talking to an experienced pain management doctor about this. the only things helping me with my pain is oxycodone and intense dosages of antioxidants and diet change.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

i'm relatively new [3 years] so there are many others here that have more experience with pain control than i do but rotating medicines prior to them losing effectiveness is probably one thing to think about. but a few things others have mentioned, exercise, diet, and meditation are all part of what i do along with taking pain medicines. up to this point i have not spent a lot of time thinking about changing the medicines prior to them losing effectiveness because i guess i'm one of those who thinks that if it works there is no reason to change. but now i can understand that there may be reasons to change prior to the point of the med not working. so i'm thinking about creating a list of what has worked and what is currently working and presenting that to my pain dr. and see what she thinks about creating a rotation schedule to try out and test if it is something to stick with going forward. one thing i've noticed about the fentanyl patch, i've been using them for 3 months, is that there appears to be about 25% of the gel left when it is time to replace after 3 days. to me it seems to indicate that the patch is a very ineffective delivery method. i mentioned this to my pharmacist and he said that it was normal, as far as his experience, to see gel remaining. however my dr. thinks it is one of the better extended relief methods and uses the patch frequently in her practice. as far as the benzodiazepines i used them for various reasons way before my accident and felt the longer i used them the worse off i was. i don't like them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    Some of you guys have it all wrong - I know the pain will not go completely away. I am not a pill seeker. I am looking for something that will help bring some relief in my life. I would like to be able to do SOME of the things I used to do without gritting my teeth in pain. I would also like to not be so drugged up that I can't function or speak.

I have been injured for 16 months.
    What Arndog told you about pain - I have to agree 100%.

I've been living with chronic burning & stabbing pain for over 20 years & general overall pain for over 30 years. I reached the point where I could not take it any longer about five years ago. Now I live on the edge, knowing that it will only get worse.

I am 75 years old, divorced, live alone and sadly the only advice I can give you is to NOT GRIND YOUR TEETH! I use what is called 'facial isometrics' when the pain strikes hard, I am twisting my facial muscles every which way they will go. I am at the time where crying has entered the scene, and it is okay.

Another poster recommended doing things - hobbies - anything that you love doing, do it, paint, play music, sing, swim, do yoga, get massages, go to physical therapy. None of this will get rid of the pain, but you could conceivably lower the intensity with distractions, you have to get your mind away from the pain as much as you possibly can. I recently took up painting with acrylics, I'm not an artist by any means but I am enjoying enough to keep my mind off the pain and it does help, distraction is the only pain reliever that I personally know of that keeps the pain at bay. I wear a 75 m Fentynal patch 24/7 - Endocet for breakthrough - Ativan 10 - and Marijuana 4 to 5 times a week for relaxation and distraction and help getting a good nights sleep which is extremely important.

Crypticgimp is right on with the; Diet is important!

It's tough kid, hang in there, it could get better, we never know what new meds will appear. Stay positive! Laugh! Survival is your game now, play it well!
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by djk; 06-18-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Neurontin did nothing but make me think funky. lyrica caused a strange painic, that I don't get if not on it.

I found amatriptaline or brand name Elevil works for some nerve pain. I stepped on a wasp once, and after the local pain subsided, I had no burn in that foot for a week. I don't know what that means, and im sure it isn't helpful, but it gives me hope, that there may be some kind of treatment in the future.

I was going to try Cymbalta, I heard it works for nerve pain, but my insurance would not approve it. I have asked around, and it does work for some people, for a couple years, before it's nerve pain properties go into hiding.

Well, for one thing, don't believe one PM doctor. I can't remember how many I had before my nuero surgeon sent me to a friend that runs a pain clinic. He waited a long time before doing that......it isn't something he normally does, but after watching my GP keep guessing who to send me to, he felt it was time I tried a good pain clinic. They try many different ways to help, not just drugs.

Getting enough sleep and eating right is a help. The more sleep I lost, the worse the pain would get. I thought that if I found the right med, the pain would all go away, that won't happen. It helped when I realized it was there to stay, and I would be lucky if a med, or combo of meds, was found to help lower the pain level. And as long as you don't give up, I think most people do find something that helps.

Trying to keep busy does help, and I have days I just don't want to move from my chair. I'd read where someone would say it helped, and just didn't believe it! But if you can make yourself move.....it can help. I've used writing postcards to people for a long time. Cost is the only thing that keeps me from doing it all of the time. And a few months ago, I started sewing again, that helps a lot too. I can't do the level of sewing that I use to do, but good enough to stay busy! One day I would really like to try painting, but I'm not too sure how that would go since most of my grandchildren draw better than I do! lol But it might be fun!

Find a friend that makes you laugh, or watch funny movies! Laughter is good for you. Keep your spirits up the best you can. And I know many have probably already told you this, but just take one day at a time.....at least for awhile, until you can make plans. Try going back to school, if you can. I've always wanted to do that, but transportation is an issue for me, and the internet is out because all I can get is dial up, and that doesn't work. I know of at least two members that manage school with the pain, and a few than manage to work.

There is something that will help, you just have to find it. I feel I'm still looking, and I try to not give up. We never know when a medication will be found for the neuro pain. So far, I don't think we take any med made specifically for neuro pain! My hope is they find something so I don't have to take any opiates anymore! They only numb us, and I prefer to use something that would actually help! But for now, I'll take what I can to get a little bit of relief.

I wish you luck!

I found Marijuana to be helpful with pain. It certainly gets me to think about other things.
    Just another tricky day. C5/6 incomplete, 43 years out.

You'll get through.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    a lot of the meds you indicated arent really effective for nerve pain anyway. some doctors have seen that drugs for depression, like effexor, also have worked for those with nerve pain. it is worth talking to an experienced pain management doctor about this. the only things helping me with my pain is oxycodone and intense dosages of antioxidants and diet change.
    can you elaborate more on the antioxidants and the diet change? no dr i've been to thus far has suggested thisl

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    i am in agreement find another pain management doctor, ask around at shepard, they i am sure have people there that have been in your situation before, if not shepard where ever you did your rehab. so sorry you are dealing with this yet again but as many have said get up and move around i find when i am still or laying down my pain is worse. it is kind of like a double edge sword because in 1 way you don't think you can get up and move but in another way you are told to get up and move. it will get better Jason when i cannot tell you but stay strong and keep seeking out the right doctor with some answers for you.
    shepherd's pain mgmt group fired me due to non compliance because i hadn't seen all the diff providers they wanted me to because i was in the hospital near death when my my kidneys almost shut down. i didn't argue with them because they hadn't helped me n 6 mos anyways, nor were they suggesting things for

PM Doctor

Can someone help me find a good PM Doctor in the Atlanta area? I am actually closer to the Athens/Gainesvillle area. I don't know what to look for, what questions to ask, etc.

I will PayPal you $25 for a lead that turns uo good :P

Thx
    Jason