Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boots to keep feet straight

Boots to keep feet straight

What are the boots called that keep your feet straight when lying in bed? My mom said theyised to be called uno boots?

Well, I use a "podus boot" on my bad leg made by Posey (yeah, they also make straightjackets ). Available at most medical supply stores, but I'd get an eval from your OT or PT first for proper type, size, and fit.

Be sure not to get an ambulation boot if you are using it in bed.

They called them bunny boots where I went. Here is a good selection but an OT/PT is best on which you need. http://www.pattersonmedical.com/app....tions&id=57925
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    What are the boots called that keep your feet straight when lying in bed? My mom said theyised to be called uno boots?
    When I got my first set back in 1975 they used what was called a D rotation splint. I think they call them D rotation bar now. They work great and are affordable.

Span America Cradle Boot Standard 500 Series is actually the best ones that I use http://healthproductsforyou.com/p-12...00-series.html

I have been using these boots for 28 years and never had a problem with my feet
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    They called them bunny boots where I went. Here is a good selection but an OT/PT is best on which you need. http://www.pattersonmedical.com/app....tions&id=57925
    Thanks for this info Sue!

An Unna boot is a special dressing used for treatment of patients who have venous ulcers on their legs, and have nothing to do with pressure ulcers.

Heel protection boots come in a wide variety of "flavors". The best ones will "float" your heel, prevent too much external rotation of your leg (which can put pressure on your ankles and sides of your feet) when laying on your back, don't interfere too much with self turning, are durable, and don't cause trauma to either the leg they are on or the opposite leg.

Boots really don't do much to prevent ankle plantar flexion contractures in people with SCI. The best way to do this is to stand on a regular basis, and do daily ankle range of motion exercises (and wear shoes when up in your wheelchair with properly positioned foot plates or pedals). A boot that presses firmly on the sole of your foot can actually cause skin breakdown, as the pressure causes more spasticity and clonus, which puts more pressure on the sole of the foot.

One reason I don't like Multipodus or other similar boots is that the hard parts are notorious for causing damage to the opposite leg and shin if you have a lot of spasms.

We currently use these boot. I bought these for my mother as well. They are not cheap, but we have had good success with them:

Prevalon boot

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    An Unna boot is a special dressing used for treatment of patients who have venous ulcers on their legs, and have nothing to do with pressure ulcers.

Heel protection boots come in a wide variety of "flavors". The best ones will "float" your heel, prevent too much external rotation of your leg (which can put pressure on your ankles and sides of your feet) when laying on your back, don't interfere too much with self turning, are durable, and don't cause trauma to either the leg they are on or the opposite leg.

Boots really don't do much to prevent ankle plantar flexion contractures in people with SCI. The best way to do this is to stand on a regular basis, and do daily ankle range of motion exercises (and wear shoes when up in your wheelchair with properly positioned foot plates or pedals). A boot that presses firmly on the sole of your foot can actually cause skin breakdown, as the pressure causes more spasticity and clonus, which puts more pressure on the sole of the foot.

One reason I don't like Multipodus or other similar boots is that the hard parts are notorious for causing damage to the opposite leg and shin if you have a lot of spasms.

We currently use these boot. I bought these for my mother as well. They are not cheap, but we have had good success with them:

Prevalon boot

(KLD)
    I don't need them for preventing pressure ulcers or skin breakdown; I have dropfoot in one foot and my OT suggested I get some type of boot or something to position the foot "straight up" in a natural position so it is not putting pressure on the ligments, joints, etc by being "laid over" all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Wheeler View Post
    Thanks for this info Sue!
    You're welcome. That place carries everything and much cheaper than OTs charge. Many times the prices are less than some co-pays. There are different reasons, as KLD points out, for needing boots and an OT or PT is needed to point out what you need but I prefer buying what works, is doable for me and does not have a 1000% mark up.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I have bought from each of these. www.betterbraces.com www.thebraceshop.com If you buy ANY that are solid in any way, make a good analysis to make sure they are not rubbing your legs in any way while sleeping. How some attach are poorly designed. Another thing you need be careful is how ttighly you attach them. You can easily restrict circulation and ending up waking up in morning with a white foot.